• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hzrt8w

Tips on Chinese cooking techniques

Getting back to the question about shredding and technique:  How do you achieve those lovely curled ends on the scallions for the pictures linked above?

You shred the ends of the scallions with a sharp knife, then drop the scallions into a bowl of ice water. Magic!

(You can make carrot curls by dropping long strips of carrot -- easiest way is to make with a vegetable peeler -- into ice water, too.) :cool:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

careful though. (as always)

can't type now.. cutting green onions ans also took off nearly my entire ring-finger-nail. fun1 .

bloody onions now.

Getting back to the question about shredding and technique:  How do you achieve those lovely curled ends on the scallions for the pictures linked above?  Thanks for the pictures, BTW.

Could I run the tines of a fork down a split and flattened scallion?

Also, any pictures to demonstrate what I should be doing with my gingerroot?

(I have to leave, but will check back later.)

Use a needle, plain sewing needle, to "score" the green part of the scallion. Put these into ice water, leave for about half an hour.

You can cut lengths of scallion, including the white part and score both ends with a solid part in the middle. This will produce curls at both ends.

For the green stalks, slice them lengthways into thin strands of different lengths, soak them in ice water, and they will form lovely curls to toss randomly on top of dishes.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks, everyone. Looked closer at first link to find what I should be aiming for with the gingerroot, too, if with guarded fingers.

(Suzy--completely forgot those about those decorating tips found in domestic literature for gals around the time we were first allowed to wear slacks ( :rolleyes: ) to school.)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

A tiny bit of soy sauce is poured over fish while it steams.

Then only 2 T sesame oil is poured over the scallions and gingerroot placed on top of plated fish.

Are you saying this recipe sounds suspect?

Hmm....adding soy sauce while the fish steams...will discolour the flesh of the fish. It should be added after the fish is done, whether by steaming or frying.

Sesame oil is fine, a slight drizzle will do. Cooked sesame oil smells a bit off, pungent. I do use it to lightly oil my dish though.

Oh, I never knew that! My mom's the one in charge of cooking fish so I don't know exactly how she does it. Thanks, Tepee!

Oh, Tepee, I got distracted. Forgot to say that I meant the soy sauce (just a T) gets poured onto the fish before steaming. Fish did not discolor. If you check out your own (? I think) demo, you'll see you add soy sauce before steaming, but around the fish and not directly on the skin as I did. I only wish my fish was as fresh as the glistening one you photographed.

BTW, I love the ingenuity of your set-up for steaming!

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Well... I think we have a mixed conversation. Different fish dish requires different techniques.

The typical Cantonese style of "plain steaming" - just the fish with some ginger and nothing else - you add more ginger and some green onions and splash fuming hot oil on top then add some soy sauce.

Then there is Cantonese style steamed fish that you steam the fish with fermented black beans and ginger. This dish can be consumed as is or some can add the ginger/green onions and splash fuming oil on top at the end too.

Not wise to heat sesame oil - the smell is bad and heating turns the oil taste to bitter.

Cutting ginger into slivers, shreds or to mince it or to grate it is a matter of preference.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The typical Cantonese style of "plain steaming" - just the fish with some ginger and nothing else - you add more ginger and some green onions and splash fuming hot oil on top then add some soy sauce.

Then there is Cantonese style steamed fish that you steam the fish with fermented black beans and ginger.  This dish can be consumed as is or some can add the ginger/green onions and splash fuming oil on top at the end too.

Not wise to heat sesame oil - the smell is bad and heating turns the oil taste to bitter.

Cutting ginger into slivers, shreds or to mince it or to grate it is a matter of preference.

There is a third way of steaming fish, especially if the fish is extra oily or too "aromatic". Panfry and brown with a little soy sauce first, then steam normally.

I (being Cantonese, specifically Toysanese) have never used sesame oil on any steamed fish. As Ah Leung says once you heat it to a sizzling temp., it smells and tastes awful. (Must be the technique of those barbaric Northerners :raz::wink::unsure: )

Oh, Tepee, I got distracted.  Forgot to say that I meant the soy sauce (just a T) gets poured onto the fish before steaming.  Fish did not discolor.  If you check out your own (? I think) demo, you'll see you add soy sauce before steaming, but around the fish and not directly on the skin as I did.  I only wish my fish was as fresh as the glistening one you photographed.

BTW, I love the ingenuity of your set-up for steaming!

lol, Pontormo, tks. I need a bigger wok, though. I have a stainless steel steamer, which I use to steam rice, and smaller plates, and bamboo baskets for dimsums.

My bad, about the sauce. Happens when you're posting past your bedtime. Pouring soy sauce during steaming isn't good only for skinless fish, like steak cuts, as the sauce also gets soaked into the meat...too salty.

I'll go dig up the pictorial I did on the curly scallion (though, I think you know how to do it now) and the tomato flower.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I recently had Steam Pot Chicken at a Yunnan style place in Monterey Park, CA which is the first time I'd ever seen a Yunnan steam pot actually used and I've seen those and that method of cooking discussed around here.

But can anyone elaborate on the technique of "Double Steaming"? Where a vessel of food is filled with water and then lidded and the vessel itself steamed.

Does anyone here use this method for any dish in particular ?

I can understand the benefits of cooking with wet heat over dry heat especially for long/slow cooking or for making certain types of sauces (in the west we call it using a double boiler) - and they've even started to make steam ovens.

But does anyone do this at home and if so - for what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_steaming

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

I think that's called "dun" in Cantonese. I think it would translate into "double boiling". We usually "dun" tonic soups - my mom did fa kei sum (Chinese ginseng?) that way when I was growing up. I've never seen her use it for anything other than medicinal herbs.

When I was a kid and I saw my mom breaking out the vessels to "dun tong" (double boiling of soup) I'd groan. That was a signal that for three days I wouldn't be allowed to eat anything foreign, junky or "yeet hay". Which to an eight year old would be akin to torture!

I think that's called "dun" in Cantonese.  I think it would translate into "double boiling".  We usually "dun" tonic soups - my mom did fa kei sum (Chinese ginseng?) that way when I was growing up.  I've never seen her use it for anything other than medicinal herbs. 

When I was a kid and I saw my mom breaking out the vessels to "dun tong" (double boiling of soup) I'd groan.  That was a signal that for three days I wouldn't be allowed to eat anything foreign, junky or "yeet hay".  Which to an eight year old would be akin to torture!

That's the only time I use my ceramic steamer - for "go lai tam" - Korean ginseng "tea". I use thinly sliced portioned ginseng root in water, and steam it for 4 hours for the tonic. Gastro - your mom was really strict. It was 24 hours without root vegetables and "yeet hay" foods for me. :raz:

I have heard of people steaming a small chicken with some ginseng - a strength building food for some one convalesing.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Oh, I think it was go lai tam. I think. All I know is that it was ginseng, it was bitter and I was miserable for 3 days afterwards. No fun foods for the little girl.

Yeah, my mom was really strict. I appreciate it now that I'm grown and I see a bunch of spoiled brats running around. Ugh. The gai mo sow works wonders.

Sorry to bring back such painful memories :biggrin:.

Thank you.

"At the gate, I said goodnight to the fortune teller... the carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face... but I could tell she was blushing." - B.McMahan

My mother frequently "oon'd" yeuk toy and beef shank meat for me when I was but a wee lad, hoping that it would initiate a growth spurt. *Sigh* one of the few times she was wrong. :wink:

My little brother had to drink double-boiled crocodile meat soup. On those days, I'd go without dinner rather than have to drink the soup.

Supposed to be good for asthmatics--I'm not, but both my little and not-so-little brothers were.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

My little brother had to drink double-boiled crocodile meat soup. On those days, I'd go without dinner rather than have to drink the soup.

Supposed to be good for asthmatics--I'm not, but both my little and not-so-little brothers were.

Is crocodile meat readily available in Singapore? My mom used to "oon'd" a specific kind of dried lizard/salamander with yeuk toy (herbs) for my grandfather who was asthmatic. These lizards are dressed, stretched out and dried, and I have seen them still in Chinese herbal shops.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Is crocodile meat readily available in Singapore? My mom used to "oon'd" a specific kind of dried lizard/salamander with yeuk toy (herbs) for my grandfather who was asthmatic. These lizards are dressed, stretched out and dried, and I have seen them still in Chinese herbal shops.

It's dried, and yes I've seen them in Chinese herbal shops here. Think that's where my mom bought the stuff.

I only eat chicken, pork and seafood, and nowadays, a little beef, so I really couldn't take the awful gamey smell of the soup.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

So I take it double boiling is the preferred method of making tonics out of all the herbs and various dried creatures I see in the Chinese Medicine places around here, I've only had a very limited range of things in soups and hotpots - but it makes more sense now what can be done with those dried sea cucumbers and mysterious animals in those shops.

I was actually just in one this weekend, they had packages of various leaves and herbs and roots that had - of all things - the molted shells of Cicada.

If I ever have trouble with my hearing - I know just what kind of soup I'll be making.

Edited by sizzleteeth (log)

My mom used cicada shells one time when I was a kid (eons ago) for something. I think it was for the skin, if I am not mistaken.

My mom used cicada shells one time when I was a kid (eons ago) for something.  I think it was for the skin, if I am not mistaken.

Oh of course I'm not sure exactly what it's for - I was commenting on the Wikipedia article. It seems that some of the Chinese medicine treatments translate literally to an illness, like the Cicada plays a song so if eaten will help you with your hearing.

I'm not sure if that is actually the case - it just seems so sometimes.

Though I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of the 5 Elements Theory so perhaps there is some correlation to the controlling of or giving birth to some other elements.

Pretty complicated - but very interesting - I'd appreciate it if anyone can comment on the addition of specific things to specific dishes for these reasons - because that is definitely something that doesn't show up in most cookbooks.

I was working with a bunch of young Chinese bachelors once and they had access to an endless free supply of bull penises from the local abattoir. They had the delicacy at least three times weekly in hopes of...err..ahh, improving on their abilities and dimensions. Last I heard they were still suffering from the same inferiority complex that drove them to seek such remedies in the first place. :wink::laugh:

My mom used cicada shells one time when I was a kid (eons ago) for something.  I think it was for the skin, if I am not mistaken.

Oh of course I'm not sure exactly what it's for - I was commenting on the Wikipedia article. It seems that some of the Chinese medicine treatments translate literally to an illness, like the Cicada plays a song so if eaten will help you with your hearing...

:laugh: No, no, no, that's not what I meant at all when I posted! :laugh: I was recalling a childhood memory that you brought back when you mentioned the cicada skins. I think I was 5 at the time. I think.

Yeah, some Chinese medicine match the ailment but others don't. When I was a teen, my mom would give me sort of cow's stomach for my acne. That didn't help much.

We've got a place up here in NYC that serves bull's penis. I don't know if I should be eating that if I believe the whole "Chinese medicine matching" theory. I'll sneak some to my male friends and ask their girlfriends if there's any difference! :raz:

We've got a place up here in NYC that serves bull's penis.  I don't know if I should be eating that if I believe the whole "Chinese medicine matching" theory.  I'll sneak some to my male friends and ask their girlfriends if there's any difference! :raz:

Heh, didn't see any of those in the Chinese Medicine store - maybe there's a special room for that kind of stuff - behind the red curtain.

Though next time I'm in Chinatown in NYC I'll make sure the English translation on the menu is accurate, maybe that "Beef Shank in XO Sauce" isn't quite what I thought it was. :wink:

maybe that "Beef Shank in XO Sauce" isn't quite what I thought it was.  :wink:

Maybe "shank" is a good description.

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.

First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years. Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.  So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency. If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat. And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also, the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu. Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!

Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By liuzhou
      I know a few people here know her already, but for those that don't, she is simply the best creator of Chinese food and rural life videos. It's not what you will find in your local Bamboo Hut! It's what Chinese people eat!

Here is her latest, posted today. This is what all my neighbours are doing right now in preparation for Spring Festival (Chinese New Year to the Lantern Festival 15 days later), although few are doing it as elegantly as she does!

Everything she posts is worth watching if you have any interest in food.

• By liuzhou
      Wowotou buns ( 窝窝头 wō wō tóu), also known more simply as wō tóu are originally from northern China. The name means "nest" and they come in many forms. These are the ones I use. As you can see, they are usually stuffed with whatever the cook decides. These are stuffed with spicy pork and pickled greens, but I've also served them with a seafood stuffing.

This is the recipe I usually use.

窝窝头

350 grams all-purpose/plain flour
      150 grams black soya bean flour
      3 grams instant yeast
      260 grams  milk

Mix the flours well, dissolve the yeast in the milk and stir into the flour until a dough forms. Knead the dough until smooth. Cover with plastic
      wrap and leave in a warm place until double in size.

Sprinkle flour on the chopping board, knead the dough, adding more flour if too wet. until all air is expelled and the dough has a smooth surface.

Form the dough into six even-sized balls and rub between the palms until smooth and round. Flatten slightly, then use your thumb to press the dough into a nest shape.

Steam covered for 30-35 minutes.

Note: The flours used vary a lot. Corn or sorghum flours are very popular, but I don't like corn and sorghum isn't the easiest to find here in southern China. Use what you like, but the overall quantity for this recipe should be 500 grams. It has been suggested that pure corn flour is too sticky, so probably best to mix it with regular wheat flour.

They freeze well.

Recipe adapted from 念念不忘的面食  by 刘哲菲 (Unforgettable Wheat Foods by Liu Zhefei). This isn't a direct translation, but retelling of the gist. Any errors are mine. Not Ms. Liu's.
    • By liuzhou
      This arose from this topic, where initially @Anna N asked about tea not being served at the celebratory meal I attended. I answered that it is uncommon for tea to be served with meals (with one major exception). I was then asked for further elucidation by @Smithy. I did start replying on the topic but the answer got longer than I anticipated and was getting away from the originally intended topic about one specific meal. So here were are..

I'd say there are four components to tea drinking in China.

a) When you arrive at a restaurant, you are often given a pot of tea which people will sip while contemplating the menu and waiting for other  guests to arrive. Dining out is very much a group activity, in the main. When everyone is there and the food dishes start to arrive the tea is nearly always forgotten about. The tea served like this will often be a fairly cheap, common brand - usually green.

You also may be given a cup of tea in a shop if your purchase is a complicated one. I recently bought a new lap top and the shop assistant handed me tea to sip as she took down the details of my requirements. Also, I recently had my eyes re-tested in order to get new spectacles. Again, a cup of tea was provided. Visit someone in an office or have a formal meeting and tea or water will be provided.

b) You see people walking about with large flasks (not necessarily vacuum flasks) of tea which they sip during the day to rehydrate themselves. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, shop keepers etc all have their tea flask.  Of course, the tea goes cold. I have a vacuum flask, but seldom use it - not a big tea fan. There are shops just dedicated to selling the drinks flasks.

c) There has been a recent fashion for milk tea and bubble tea here, two trends imported from Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively. It is sold from kiosks and mainly attracts younger customers. McDonald's and KFC both do milk and bubble teas.

Bubble and Milk Tea Stall

And Another

And another - there are hundreds of them around!

McDonald's Ice Cream and Drinks Kiosk.

McDonald's Milk Tea Ad

d) There are very formal tea tastings and tea ceremonies, similar in many ways to western wine tastings. These usually take place in tea houses where you can sample teas and purchase the tea for home use. These places can be expensive and some rare teas attract staggering prices. The places doing this pride themselves on preparing the tea perfectly and have their special rituals. I've been a few times, usually with friends, but it's not really my thing. Below is one of the oldest serious tea houses in the city. As you can see, they don't go out of their way to attract custom. Their name implies they are an educational service as much as anything else. Very expensive!

Tea House

Supermarkets and corner shops carry very little tea. This is the entire tea shelving in my local supermarket. Mostly locally grown green tea.

Local Guangxi Tea

The most expensive in the supermarket was this Pu-er Tea (普洱茶 pǔ ěr chá) from Yunnan province. It works out at ¥0.32per gram as opposed to ¥0.08 for the local stuff. However, in the tea houses, prices can go much, much higher!

• By liuzhou
      Today, I was honoured to be invited to lunch in a relatively nearby Miao village, where they were celebrating their good harvest.

Before we could eat we were entertained by the some of the villagers.

These women sang to us.

Some men played their traditional Lusheng instruments.

Then they had a tug-of war between the men and the women. The women won (but there were twice as many women as men!)

Most people just hung around looking good in their best leisure wear.

Finally, we were seated at a table, but before we could eat, we had to toast each other.

These were some of my table companions. Old friends.

Each table was furnished with two dips. On the left chilli, coriander/cilantro, Chinese chives in soy and sesame oil. On the right, duck's blood with chilli. 

Kou Rou - Roasted, then steamed pork belly and taro.

Chicken

If not this chap I had met earlier, then one of his relations.

Chicken and duck giblets stir-fried with vegetables.

Duck - Note beak on left so you are sure what you are eating.

Deep fried carp

Steamed Shrimp

Water Spinach

People watching people eating!

Neighbouring Table

All very amusing