• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tips on Chinese cooking techniques

hzrt8w

M'goy sai Ah Leung goh and Dejah jei! I am getting around to the dong goo tonight. Are they still good if they've been soaking for about, uh, 36 hours? I meant to cook them last night but there was a last minute change of plans.

Good to know about nor mai fan. Honestly, I'm not that crazy about it. I prefer yau fan instead. Or joong!!! :laugh:

SB: My father salts his oil prior to stir-frying as well. He swears by it.

PS: Toisan=thrifty. hee hee :cool:

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

I am getting around to the dong goo tonight.  Are they still good if they've been soaking for about, uh, 36 hours? 

SB: My father salts his oil prior to stir-frying as well.  He swears by it.

Shouldn't be any problems using the dong goo if they've been soaking in the fridge, but they may not be as flavourful. If they haven't been refridgerated, check and see if they smell like dong goo, and that there's no slime on them. I've had some soaking in the fridge since the 27th and just used them for dong gwa tong on Monday, and hot 'n' sour soup yesterday.

As for salting the oil prior to stir-frying, this helps to better distribute the salt. It's the same as infusing the oil with aromatics, heat from chilis, etc. Po-Po also said it will prevent dangerous splatters if you drop some water into the hot oil. I'm not so sure about the second reason, but I'm not about to question her +85 years of cooking (she will celebrate her 98th bday this August). :biggrin:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

... Are they still good if they've been soaking for about, uh, 36 hours?  I meant to cook them last night but there was a last minute change of plans. 

If you change the water, that's better. :rolleyes: If you have soaked some dried mushrooms but have a last minute change of plan, you can drain the water and keep the rest in a Tupperware [yes I get kick back from them for mentioning] in the refrigerator.

PS: Toisan=thrifty.  hee hee  :cool:

This is so true! Reminds me of my in-laws (Toisanese). They never throw away *anything*! That goes for food and non-food items! "Who knows? Just *someday* you may be able to use it!".

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

My Grandmother told me this past weekend that if you salt the oil or/and fry a piece of ginger in the oil, it will make frying fish a lot easier (i.e. not stick to the wok.)

*Having serious language issues since being home for two weeks.

Actually not everyone I know who's Chinese salts their oil prior to stir-frying. I was just reinforcing what was previously said by the sage cooks in this forum. :laugh:

I used the doong goo last night in a cabbage braise and they were fine. No noticeable difference in taste or texture.

And yeah, Toisanese don't throw stuff away but my parents and I are getting better at being more, uh, minimalist. We're not as bad as some that I've seen. (shrudder)

If the mushroom stems are tender enough I don't bother cutting them off.

I'd just love to see the reaction of my Toisanese mother if I ever suggested she throw away the mushroom stems. You'd think I was asking her to cut off her leg or something.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys... anyone has tips on making that burning smell for fried rice,noodles or vegetables?

I know that the wok has to be heated way beyond well and the flame should rise and it is best to hav the flame "cralwing" into the wok.

I can make that but the burning smell or flavour is not there?

Is it the oil, the wok or...?

:sad:

That, Grasshopper, is what we call wok hei. It is that ephemeral quality that many cooks seek. Overdone it is called burnt. In the beginning there is extreme heat, then enough oil, then small portions with little moisture, proper sequences, then technique along with impecable timing.

What was your question??? :blink:

That, Grasshopper, is what we call wok hei. It is that ephemeral quality that many cooks seek.  Overdone it is called burnt. In the beginning there is extreme heat, then enough oil, then small portions with little moisture, proper sequences,  then technique along with impecable timing.

Thank you.

The Q actually is...do i need to have the flame on the food.

And, will any type of oil do? Or it has to be peanut oil?

That, Grasshopper, is what we call wok hei. It is that ephemeral quality that many cooks seek.  Overdone it is called burnt. In the beginning there is extreme heat, then enough oil, then small portions with little moisture, proper sequences,  then technique along with impecable timing.

Thank you.

The Q actually is...do i need to have the flame on the food.

And, will any type of oil do? Or it has to be peanut oil?

The first answer is No! You're not setting fire to the food!

Any type of oil will do.

The most important thing here that most home kitchens lack enough BTUs to get wok hei.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I think he might be asking if he needs to have the flames lapping at the edge of the wok, which you might see in the commerical kitchens of a Chinese restaurant. Yes, that might add a bit of wok hay but follow Ben Sook's advice. Unless you've got access to a commerical kitchen, it's best not to have flames lapping the edge of your frying pan or wok at home.

Oops.

My bad. Sorry iii_bake! Will read posts twice before posting next time.

It is kind of everyone to pitch in with info.

Thank you.

When i was talking a bout the flame...if you have seen the flaming stir fried vegetable...the flame does go very high. Not just at the edge.

Further...can anyone say how high the heat should be?

My burner is a gas stove double the size of the notmal home kitchen one but not as powerful as the restaurant version.

That's from the intensity of the wok ranges in commerical kitchen. If you've got that plus experience, it's not a problem to have the wok cranked up. If you don't...well...

I would say lard is the first choice for oil and then second peanut. Yum, lard!

That's from the intensity of the wok ranges in commerical kitchen. If you've got that plus experience, it's not a problem to have the wok cranked up. If you don't...well...

I would say lard is the first choice for oil and then second peanut. Yum, lard!

This might be obvious, if so ignore me!

When steaming fish, once it is done make sure to heat up the oil you used to cook the garlic/ginger in your wok to almost smoking and then pour it over top the fish.  This gives a satisfying sizzle and makes the meat tender and infuses some of the flavours already present in the oil.  Of course it also adds a bit of that shine.

No, it isn't obvious to neophytes!

I just steamed a whole fish in a wok for the first time this weekend. My recipe called for shredded gingerroot & scallions to be placed on the fully cooked fish and then toasted sesame oil to be heated "until nearly smoking" (a little hard to gauge except retrospectively) before being poured over the fish.

Needless to say, a little oil poured over a little fish did not frizzle either seasoning or release their flavors.

1. Should I have cooked the gingerroot & scallions in the heated oil for just a few seconds and THEN poured all on top of the fish?

2. Are there any tricks or tips to shredding gingerroot or scallions? I ended up cutting slivers of each, though I did attempt to use a zester for the gingerroot.

And Ah Leung, again, thanks for blogging this week. I'll try to return to the Asian cooking threads a bit more reqularly.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I just steamed a whole fish in a wok for the first time this weekend.  My recipe called for shredded gingerroot & scallions to be placed on the fully cooked fish and then toasted sesame oil to be heated "until nearly smoking" (a little hard to gauge except retrospectively) before being poured over the fish.

Usually, it's just regular peanut oil that's used and not sesame oil

I just steamed a whole fish in a wok for the first time this weekend.  My recipe called for shredded gingerroot & scallions to be placed on the fully cooked fish and then toasted sesame oil to be heated "until nearly smoking" (a little hard to gauge except retrospectively) before being poured over the fish.

Usually, it's just regular peanut oil that's used and not sesame oil

In this case, the recipe called for the sesame oil as a seasoning. I'm more interested in matters of technique, though.

In this case, the recipe called for the sesame oil as a seasoning.  I'm more interested in matters of technique, though.

Sesame oil might be used this way by some people but I've personally never heard of it.

The traditional way of doing this is to heat about 1/2 cup of peanut oil to around smoking, which I'd say is roughly 400F and then pour it over the whole steamed fish which has been covered with jullianed ginger and scallions.

[snip]..

1. Should I have cooked the gingerroot & scallions in the heated oil for just a few seconds and THEN  poured all on top of the fish?

2. Are there any tricks or tips to shredding gingerroot or scallions?  I ended up cutting slivers of each, though I did attempt to use a zester for the gingerroot.

[snip]...

I always steam the fish stuffed with slivered ginger-rootas well as have it all over. You may fry the oil with more ginger-root to 'lo' (pour) over the fish, but leave the scallions fresh. Tastes zingy-er for steamed fish dishes.

Shredding ginger-root is a matter of preference. I like mine shredded fine....makes for a more delicate presentation. However, if you intend to mince the ginger-root, use that for placing on top of the fish, not for stuffing...a bit messy. There's a pix here. For this style the minced ginger is slightly salted.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

My recipe is for Huo Tui Dong Gu Zheng Yu. Not sure of regional origins. North?

Fish is marinated in ginger-infused rice wine & salt.* Slits in skin are made deep enough to stuff in slivers of ham and reconstituted mushrooms. A tiny bit of soy sauce is poured over fish while it steams.

Then only 2 T (heated) sesame oil are poured over the scallions and gingerroot that have been placed on top of plated fish.

Are you saying this recipe sounds suspect?

*Slivers of ginger are smashed and pinched in bowl for some time until wine takes on bright yellow hue. The fish is scored before marinating so flavor penetrates; the deep slits then accommodate stuffing. I like the idea of stuffing in the gingerroot, though.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

My recipe is for Huo Tui Dong Gu Zheng Yu.  Not sure of regional origins.  North? 

Fish is marinated in ginger-infused rice wine & salt.  Slits in skin are made deep enough to stuff in slivers of ham and reconstituted mushrooms.  A tiny bit of soy sauce is poured over fish while it steams.

Then only 2 T sesame oil is poured over the scallions and gingerroot placed on top of plated fish.

OK, that's a different fish dish, one sometimes called "emperor's fish," and it is indeed a northern specialty. Pouring 1/2 cup of hot oil over the fish the way I and others have described is southern style.

A tiny bit of soy sauce is poured over fish while it steams.

Then only 2 T sesame oil is poured over the scallions and gingerroot placed on top of plated fish.

Hmm....adding soy sauce while the fish steams...will discolour the flesh of the fish. It should be added after the fish is done, whether by steaming or frying.

Sesame oil is fine, a slight drizzle will do. Cooked sesame oil smells a bit off, pungent. I do use it to lightly oil my dish though.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Getting back to the question about shredding and technique: How do you achieve those lovely curled ends on the scallions for the pictures linked above? Thanks for the pictures, BTW.

Could I run the tines of a fork down a split and flattened scallion?

Also, any pictures to demonstrate what I should be doing with my gingerroot?

(I have to leave, but will check back later.)