• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

100x100

Craig Camp

A e-mail announcement from Sam's, the mega-wine store in Chicago, arrived in my inbox yesterday offering a pre-sale price of $349.99 on the 2000 Gaja Costa Russi. The ad touted a Wine Spectator rating of 100 points for this wine from the 2000 vintage, which they also rated 100 points. That makes the 2000 Costa Russi a 100x100 on The Wine Spectator scale or, in other words, THE PERFECT WINE. How can you resist?

It's interesting to note that you can still buy the 1996 Costa Russi for under $250 a bottle, but it's not perfect is it - or is it?

How can you resist?

i find the $349.99 tag makes it easy

How can you set a price on perfection?

Actually, I can think of some other reasons to resist:

2000 Ca' Rome' Rio Sordo Barbaresco - $52

2000 Sottimano Fausoni Barbaresco - $45

2000 Moccagatta Bric Balin Barbaresco - $58

2000 B. Giacosa Rabaja' Barbaresco - $90

...and on and on

For those with money to burn and status to seek. imagine the restaurant price!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Prices are just so outrageous. Anyhow, I've already had what I consider to be the perfect wine (guess I paid about the same $110 back in '85) but still, for that price I can get one of my current favs, a bottle of Zin Alley Zin and still have enough left over for 628 cans of Pabst as I figure it. Hell, with that much beer I can get my back yard fence fixed too!

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

If it is the perfect wine, I would be scared to try it. What do you follow it with? There would be no point to ever drinking wine again, or for that matter liquid. How could you put anything in your mouth after Anjelo Gaja's perfect wine.

What about aging? If it's perfect now it can only get worse in the future. Is it better now (8:40am PDT) then it will be in 15 minutes? if it was to evolve at any point how could it get better?

The whole world changed in 1976 in Montreal when the Romanian gymnast recieved the prfect 10, since then people have been awarding everything the unattainable. Now the cieling is set so low there seems to be a perfect wine for every issue of Wine Spectator (on average).

BTW I had a bottle of Morgante Nero d'Avola 2002 last night. Not as full as the 2001 but a very tasty wine none the less. Not perfect though! Imagine my dissapointment.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

BTW I had a bottle of Morgante Nero d'Avola 2002 last night. Not as full as the 2001 but a very tasty wine none the less. Not perfect though! Imagine my dissapointment.

Coop,

If I have my math right, one could buy 3 1/2 cases of the Morgante for the price of one bottle of the Gaja.

Even if my math is wrong, I'll take imperfection, please.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

The whole world changed in 1976 in Montreal when the Romanian gymnast recieved the prfect 10, since then people have been awarding everything the unattainable. Now the cieling is set so low there seems to be a perfect wine for every issue of Wine Spectator (on average).

So far this year, Wine Spectator has awarded eight 100 point wines out of

the 8,500 reviews that have been printed. That's .094%.

Which is a little more like a vaulted ceiling, than a low one.

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage."

Woody Allen

JC,

No offense intended here, just an honest question; do you think there are 8 perfect wines?

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

How can you resist?

For the same price, I can buy 2 bottles of 1990 Hermitage La Chapelle at auction. That's an easy choice for me.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

JC,

No offense intended here, just an honest question; do you think there are 8 perfect wines?

Best, Jim

Jim

I don't think anything is perfect. (Lest of all, me). I think perfection is something to strive for but is unobtainable. The perfect wine - the perfect meal - who is to say.

Do I think it is innacurate to say there is a "perfect" wine in every issue of Wine Spectator? Yes.

Do I think there are 8 perfect wines. NO

Would I like to try the wines in question? Hell YES. (And with you folks, so we have lively banter between sips).

No offense taken - none intended

Best

Julia'sChild

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage."

Woody Allen

I think when Parker and Wine Spectator started handing out 100's they left themselves no where to go. To me it's funny not offensive. I have never tried to be perfect or have the perfect experience so I'm rarely dissapointed.

I have sure enjoyed some nice Italian wines this summer though. Le Fonti Chianti 2001, Moris Farm 1998 Morellino, Brolio Chianti 2001. Morgante 2001 Nero, Planeta La Sergetta Bianco 02. None were taken too seriously.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I think when Parker and Wine Spectator started handing out 100's they left themselves no where to go. To me it's funny not offensive. I have never tried to be perfect or have the perfect experience so I'm rarely dissapointed.

I agree. 'tis a slippery slope when you start handing out perfection points. I didn't think anything could be 'perfect'..... And where does one find a completely unbiased 'judge' to award these perfect points? Especially on something as subjective as taste. I just don't get it.

The fact of the matter is, a "perfect" score is like "infinity" -- man can never attain perfection, although he may hope. I agree that giving out perfect scores (in anything) is automatic Bad News. Because no matter how good a thing is, it could be a little bit better.

I recently tasted some 100-point TBA. I would not have declared it "perfect" -- just "really damn good".

"Perfect" is an absolute that really shouldn't be used unless you're talking about God or some other noncorporeal concept.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Here's a good reason not to pay 100 points too much heed.

Some Robert Parker 100 Point Wines and Their Wine Spectator Rating

Wine RP WS

1992 Dalla Valle Maya 100 94

1994 Harlan Estate 100 95

1997 Harlan Estate 100 97

2000 La Mission Haut Brion 100 93

1982 Lafite Rothschild 100 92

1996 Lafite Rothschild 100 96

2000 Lafite Rothschild 100 100

1961 Latour 100 100

1982 Latour 100 98

1982 Leoville Las Cases 100 95

1982 Margaux 100 100

1990 Montrose 100 94

1982 Mouton Rothschild 100 98

1982 Mouton Rothschild 100 99

2000 Pavie 100 96

1989 Petrus 100 94

2000 Petrus 100 98

1982 Pichon-Longueville-Lalande 100 95

1997 Quinta do Noval 100 97

1997 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon 100 95

I am sure a similar list could be made of WS 100 point wines that are not RP 100 point wines.

This is why I take ratings with a grain of salt. Is the '82 Lafite a 100 point wine or a 92 point wine? Maybe it's 100 points, but would you want to pay a 100 point price (approx. $600) and decide you only think it rates 92 points?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I agree. 'tis a slippery slope when you start handing out perfection points. I didn't think anything could be 'perfect'..... And where does one find a completely unbiased 'judge' to award these perfect points? Especially on something as subjective as taste. I just don't get it.

No where in Wine Spectator does it say a 100 point wine is "perfect". It

says 95-100 is "classic; a great wine"

I think that so many people get stuck on the 100 point thing. I don't think

it's about "perfection", as much as it is about Suckling, who's reviewed

wine now for more than 20 years, sitting down with a bottle of Barolo and

saying, "it just doesn't get any better than this". That, to me, is very

valuable advice.

Even when I try a wine that blows me away, I often find myself wanting more.

(sometimes it's just more wine), but something is missing. When I get to

wines in the high 90's, I start to laugh (or cry) or both. I, personally,

have never tried a 100-point wine, but I've had a couple 99 point ones that

really blew my mind. My best contender for the "perfect" wine was a 1941

Inglenook, which made my life pass before my eyes.

And how "Perfect" is that?

Woody Allen

Gaia Gaja came into the shop, not too long ago, with some lovely wines. The 1999 Barbaresco was stunning, as was the Alteni di Brassica 1999. These are well crafted wines, loveingly created, well thought out, balanced etc. The 1996 Sugarille Brunello wasn't to bad of a mouthful either.

But Perfection?

Perfection is the first sight of your son's just born skin, taught and waxy, holding in the soft bones of his beautiful face.

Great wine can catapult ordinary moments into extraordinary moments. You would be unhappy to taste this 2000 Costa Russi until it was older. Too young and it will remind you of cherry cola in the mouth.

Perfection lies in the pople around you, the ones you love, you hold them tight, good food on the table (if you are lucky) and good bottles of wine, some not 350.00 a pop, some 350.00 a pop.

If you have an extra 350, buy one for yourself. the man does not make bad wine.

over it

The ad touted a Wine Spectator rating of 100 points for this wine from the 2000 vintage, which they also rated 100 points. That makes the 2000 Costa Russi a 100x100 on The Wine Spectator scale or, in other words, THE PERFECT WINE. How can you resist?

But is $349.99 really asking too much for a 10,000 point wine? :biggrin:

All the best,

Jean

Wine RP WS

1992 Dalla Valle Maya 100 94

1994 Harlan Estate 100 95

1997 Harlan Estate 100 97

2000 La Mission Haut Brion 100 93

1982 Lafite Rothschild 100 92

1996 Lafite Rothschild 100 96

2000 Lafite Rothschild 100 100

1961 Latour 100 100

1982 Latour 100 98

1982 Leoville Las Cases 100 95

1982 Margaux 100 100

1990 Montrose 100 94

1982 Mouton Rothschild 100 98

1982 Mouton Rothschild 100 99

2000 Pavie 100 96

1989 Petrus 100 94

2000 Petrus 100 98

1982 Pichon-Longueville-Lalande 100 95

1997 Quinta do Noval 100 97

1997 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon 100 95

An interesting list; I've had more than a few of those. None were, to my palate, perfect.

Of course, I do not score wines (I actually think point scoring is a non-sequiter when it comes to something as subjective as personal preference) so such numbers really have nothing for me. But the word perfect does have meaning and I'd really like to know if anyone thinks they have had a perfect wine. And if so, why they thought it was perfect.

And, so as not to be just a rabble rouser, I'll try to think if I have. too.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

How can you resist?

For the same price, I can buy 2 bottles of 1990 Hermitage La Chapelle at auction. That's an easy choice for me.

For the same 349.99, I can rent a cot in Florida Jims garage. That way, I can circle the dinner table making uncomfortable eye contact until someone offers me a glass.

Coming soon to a forum near you

"Dinner with friends (mostly)" :laugh:

Here's a good reason not to pay 100 points too much heed.

Wine                                                            RP                    WS

1992 Dalla Valle Maya                                  100                    94

1994 Harlan Estate                                      100                    95

1997 Harlan Estate                                      100                    97

2000 La Mission Haut Brion                          100                    93

1982 Lafite Rothschild                                  100                    92

1996 Lafite Rothschild                                  100                    96

2000 Lafite Rothschild                                  100                    100

1961 Latour                                                100                    100

1982 Latour                                                100                    98

1982 Leoville Las Cases                              100                    95

1982 Margaux                                            100                    100

1990 Montrose                                            100                    94

1982 Mouton Rothschild                              100                    98

1982 Mouton Rothschild                              100                    99

2000 Pavie                                                100                    96

1989 Petrus                                                100                    94

2000 Petrus                                                100                    98

1982 Pichon-Longueville-Lalande                  100                    95

1997 Quinta do Noval                                  100                    97

1997 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon  100                    95

I am sure a similar list could be made of WS 100 point wines that are not RP 100 point wines.

This is why I take ratings with a grain of salt.  Is the '82 Lafite a 100 point wine or a 92 point wine?  Maybe it's 100 points, but would you want to pay a 100 point price (approx. $600) and decide you only think it rates 92 points?

For someone not paying "heed" to the numbers , you sure had those scores up your sleeve!

I think it's unfair for you to take one taster (Parker) and compare him to

the various tasters at WS (Laube, Suckling, Mansson, Steiman, Sanderson,

Molesworth, Matthews and Marcus). Each of the tasters at WS has their own

beats and specialties.

I actually looked over that list and was encouraged--a Parker 100 is a WS

97? Sounds like a pretty good wine to me! Since both publications use

the same scale, and most of these are between 95-100 points in both, I find

it actually pretty consistent scoring among national wine reviewers.

I think it's unfair to look for perfection in a wine reviewer. Are we really

expecting Parker or Suckling to be our tasting "soul mates"? Not even my wife

(who has a pretty good pallate) and I agree on everything.

But that does not mean I won't take her

recommendations, nor her mine. I think critics are very useful in helping us

sift through the ever-growing body of wine that is out there.

If Parker gave a wine 100, I have to believe that he really, really fancied

the wine and is giving me advice to buy it or try it if I can. Why? Because

his rep is on the line. If he started handing out 100 points to plonk, his

integrity would be challenged and he wouldn't be an important or useful

critic any more. Do I agree with everything he says? No. Do I believe that

I'll have the exact same 100-point, fireworks going off experience if I try

a Suckling 100 point wine? Not necessarily. But to disvalue a critic who's

been evaluating a wine for decades because he is one soul and I am another

sounds like nothing but sour grapes to me.

Woody Allen

I have sure enjoyed some nice Italian wines this summer though. Le Fonti Chianti 2001, Moris Farm 1998 Morellino, Brolio Chianti 2001. Morgante 2001 Nero, Planeta La Sergetta Bianco 02. None were taken too seriously.

Perhaps they'll go the route of Nigel Tufnel in This is Spinal Tap and start handing out 110 points.

"It's better because it goes to 110!!!" :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I, for one, am generally disturbed by the price structure that has occurred within the industry. There are these few guys (Laube, Parker, Tanzer, et al) who have "set the bar" and too many people who take their word for gospel.

As we all know from this board, taste buds vary wildly amongst John Q. Consumer. And in giving my wine tours, I taste folks on two wildly different cabernets: one is velvety, rich, and spicy while the other is leathery, hefty, and full of tobacco and cherry. It astonishes me how people react to these two different cabs, some loving one but no the other and vice-versa. But it is these same folks who SWEAR by the point system!

I cannot help but feel that these Point Makers are Pied Pipers, leading all the children to their doom and demise...