• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Urgent: Triphala Advice Needed!

rajsuman

Hi,

I want to cook a version of mushroom sukke that my sister-in-law makes. I need to use triphala for it. The only way I've seen it being used is in its whole form. They boil it in water and use the water to flavour the dish or use it in tadka. I want to know if I could roast it up and powder it - I have a limited stock, so can't afford to waste it on experimentation. That's also the reason I'd rather not use them whole and then discard them if I can help it. I know this has been discussed elsewhere and remember Episure mentioning roasting and grinding it. I wonder if the flavour is more potent when you grind it? Can you grind it finely to a powder? Will the ground spice lend a bitter taste to the dish or a produce a tingling sensation in the mouth, the kind you get when you suck on a szechuan peppercorn?

And you're right Episure - this spice deserves more recognition than it gets. I absolutely love its aroma and the flavour it lends to the dish.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Suman

:wacko:

In my personal opinion, I think Triphal does not go in a Sukke, but that's just an opinion

However, try grinding it along with the coconut and other sukke additives, one or two should suffice

Triphal, I think is more used in Bendis and some specific Fish curries

:smile:

Indiachef

I dont know if it pairs with sukke or not but I roasted it a bit, powdered it and strained it. I use it as such in whattever. You will need to pass through a sieve as the inner seed coverings do not get powdered. I have no complaints.

Rushina

I dont know if it pairs with sukke or not but I roasted it a bit, powdered it and strained it. I use it as such in whattever. You will need to pass through a sieve as the inner seed coverings do not get powdered. I have no complaints.

Rushina

Rushina

Hi,

I want to cook a version of mushroom sukke that my sister-in-law makes. I need to use triphala for it. The only way I've seen it being used is in its whole form. They boil it in water and use the water to flavour the dish or use it in tadka. I want to know if I could roast it up and powder it - I have a limited stock, so can't afford to waste it on experimentation. That's also the reason I'd rather not use them whole and then discard them if I can help it. I know this has been discussed elsewhere and remember Episure mentioning roasting and grinding it. I wonder if the flavour is more potent when you grind it? Can you grind it finely to a powder? Will the ground spice lend a bitter taste to the dish or a produce a tingling sensation in the mouth, the kind you get when you suck on a szechuan peppercorn?

And you're right Episure - this spice deserves more recognition than it gets. I absolutely love its aroma and the flavour it lends to the dish.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Suman

I've found best results by pressure cooking it in a little water and then adding it (and the water) into the rest of the dish. Maximum extraction.

It's difficult to grind it to a fine non gritty powder especially small batches. I've been playing around with pharmaceutical processes to get around this problem.

Though traditionally it's used in Fish Curries, I've been developing recipes that use it to maximum effect. The one I've posted earlier can be made into several variants.

My favourite combo is Goan style Triphala fish curry with red rice, I cant eat it often enough. :wub: Goes well in Clam/Mussel sukke too.

Suman, be aware that it loses it's flavour with extended storage so take the usual precautions. Rushina was kind enough to replenish my 'extinguished' old stock.

This spice is very, very exotic, so let's discuss it less and quietly have it in our homes before it becomes commonplace. :biggrin:

Indiachef, what's a Bendi?

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Thanks for all the tips! In the end I didn't have much time except to infuse it in hot water. Indiachef, I would have thought it strange too, this addition of triphala in a sukke. But that's the way they do it in Kumta and it really works, especially if you use ghee for the tadka. I'm so glad that my sister-in-law lives in Kumta, because that way I get to taste all the fantastic regional food, particularly seafood.

FYI Episure: A bendi is much like the Konkani ghashi, except that it is hotter, thinner and more sour. Dried beans are cooked (potatoes, bamboo shoots or spinach may also be added to complement the beans) and a paste of roasted dried red chillies, coconut and tamarind is added. The dish is simmered then a tadka of fried crushed garlic is added.

Suman

I need some translations or explanations here. Triphala? (type of spice, I gather, but what type?) Sukke?

Sorry Pan! I try as much as possible not to use totally Indian terms or at least provide a translation (e.g my other posts today), but sometimes(read: nearly always) when the kids are simultaneously demanding attention, my main aim then becomes to finish my reply asap. Triphala is a spice related to the Szechuan peppercorn I gather. It has been discussed in more detail elsewhere on this forum. I might be wrong to assume not many Indians know the meaning of sukke. 'Sukke' means dry and could be used to mean any side-dish without any liquid in it, but from where I come from it usually means a dry vegetable dish with a ground coconut masala.

Suman

Thanks, Suman. Also, I wasn't addressing you specifically; I looked through the whole thread and had found no explanations of those terms.

Michael aka "Pan"