• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain Coming to Vancouver

Daddy-A

Daddy-A

What a kind offer. And Chef and I will get to work on a reasonably priced four-courser that will promote flavour but not too much expense--the key being to turn out as many friends of this forum as possible without bankrupting our host.

Once we have a menu and price, I suggest that we then publish a separate thread called something like Egullet Dinner Invitation--An Evening of Awesome Bucco.

Or some such thing.

Back to you shortly,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Hey Coop,

We have to go to the Opus event because he's a minor.

Excellent euphemism for 'Designated Driver', Coop. As long as he's allowed to stay up late--we'd hate to see a premature Coop d'Etat.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

As a long-time lurker of eGullet, I would love to come to the dinner and meet Vancouver-area eGulleters -- but not sure, especially since I'm not a prolific poster, a chef, nor a food critic. I am, however humbly, a lover of good food.

Katherine

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I'm another long time lurker who'd love to come out for an Egullet dinner.

Stovetop - I bought my ticket for the Opus event today and they said there are still tickets left, but they're going very quickly. Get out that Visa & book it!

Scout

Ah, the Burger Club meeting ... that was a good night. It was def. nice to get out and meet a few of the others. I don't care what Chef Fowke says about you, you're a great (and positive) guy. :raz:

Seriously though, my lurker vs. poster ratio is very out of whack.

Scout

Ah, the Burger Club meeting ... that was a good night. It was def. nice to get out and meet a few of the others.  I don't care what Chef Fowke says about you, you're a great (and positive) guy.  :raz:

Seriously though, my lurker vs. poster ratio is very out of whack.

Scout

what? Really...you are part of the anti-Chef Fowke movement!

LUKE (scout) I am your father....come to the dark side; COOP cannot offer what I have!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Yahoo, this is going to be good, seeing as we are coming in from out of town, we are going to get a room at the Opus for the night as well - how wonderful is it that a book signing soiree is turning into a weekend for 2 in Vancouver for me. I will begin the training right now - haha! Looking forward to putting faces to names!

2 more out of town, food folk excited to join in the extracarricular (sp?) activities. have been reading from the sidelines and only recently joined in the discussion. Always enjoy being in the big city especially for the food, count 2 more into the fray.

I'll be starting a new thread for the Bourdain in Vancouver eGullet Event later in September.

In the meantime I've been scanning the board for an indication of who's coming. However, it would be a lot easier on my tired old eyes if you just PM'd me. Include your name (real, not handle) and the number who will be attending.

Once the new thread starts, I'll post an updated list, and we'll provide info on the dinner as well.

Everyone enjoying the rain?

DA

I sent off a PM to Tony Bourdain and this is what I got back.

Check out Forums in Vancouver , Canada.

We are having a late night dinner on the night you are in town. Do you wish to attend and hoist a few with some fellow chefs ??

Don't know....It's going to be an absolutely hellacious day for me and the grill bitch (who'll be assisting me). Start at 6:30 AM and events or interviews every hour until late. There's already a dinner scheduled at the Opus--followed by an event at Bar None. Can you make the Bar None thing? Certainly if I'm not completely shredded, I may be up for a late meet with the local gurus after that.

Tony

They work you like a rented mule. Holy crap , that is a long day of meet and greet ! I think the Opus is a cocktail / handshaker. Same with Bar None ( right next door )

A few of us will be there. Some have to work. Friday night and all. We will be one block down the street. Are you staying at the Opus ?

There is a fair amount of interest in all events so it will be good all round.

Stay in touch and hopefully we can get together.

Cheers

Neil

I will post any new PM's as they come in.

With a little luck , he will be in attendence at some point in our evening.

Neil :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Very Nice! Keep up the effort and we will be drinking the bile of snake, shooting guns and hoping not to dye from the poison of Blowfish!!!!

Neil, you have the perfect venue to make this happen...I will donate whatever time and product is neccesary to assist in this event! This could be a true NWP feast/drink/showcase/drunk/crawl...(may surprise the world with what we really have out here!)

snake%20bile%20duct%20and%20gall%20bladder.jpg

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I was telling my husband about this soiree with Bourdain and egulleteers and he was reading the posts and he said it is kind of like the film, Waiting for Guffman only it it is Waiting for Bourdain.. should we start a mockumentry... oh no it would be the real thing.. too funny!

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I was telling my husband about this...

First rule about food club, no talking about food club.

Seriously, do not share your e-gullet habit with your spouse, unless you want snide questions about how your friends at e-mullet are doing.

I think we're coming to the Hamilton Street Grill, we're leaving on holidays the next day, so our attendence will need to wait a while longer for confirmation, but if we do show, I'll be telling her that you're all old friends from university. I'd appreciate it if you all played along. If you're noticeably older, and she questions you on it, just tell her you were slow. You could try telling her you were a professor, but God help you should she discover your lie, far less risky to stick with "I wasn't very smart back at school."

My wife is considering smashing my computer at home. I have become an Egullet addict. I can't stop ! Help me before I post again.

Seriously , I told my wife that Tony Bourdain had responded to my post and she said that she wanted to attend. She was also the one who read Kitchen Conf. first.

She kept telling me how much I was going to like it I nearly tore the book in half just so I could start reading it ! I am the kind of reader that once I start, I will not put the book down until I finish it. ( I also read the last page first )

Sorry , I digress , what are the rules of food club ?

Never talk about food club ?

I still have not got the decoder ring yet !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com