• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain Coming to Vancouver

Daddy-A

Thanks, Daddy-o! I would love to do that, but Cinderella has to stay and do last minute prep for her interview with him after his talk here in Victoria.

Wish me luck.

shelora

I'll be sure to ask him to be kind to you :biggrin:

A.

ps. You're the first person to pick up on the "Daddy-o" connection to my login name. Everyone else here seems to think it's something perverted :raz:

ps. You're the first person to pick up on the "Daddy-o" connection to my login name. Everyone else here seems to think it's something perverted

Could be an age thing.

What I think is perverted is that "smilie" wearing the red thong! :raz:

Shelora

I just got back from the event at Bar None. Mr. Bourdain stood on top of the bar and addressed the crowd: he thanked us for coming and said that he was only in Vancouver for 36 hours, but already he met a lot of the local chefs and enjoyed some excellent food at a special dinner the night before. He said that many of our chefs here in Vancouver seemed to be pierced and tattooed... :cool:

A camera was following him around and I was sitting right across from him as he was interviewed briefly on camera (most of the questions were about his short trip to Vancouver, etc.) After the interview, I introduced myself to him, told him I was a student at Dubrulle, and shook his hand. A gracious, (very tall) man! It was a thrill to meet him. :biggrin:

Looking forward to hearing about the "Big Night" event...!

(woo! my first post here :smile: )

-christine

Edited by KnifeSkills (log)

I do not know what to post...

That was amazing! Really amazing. WOW! I just spent an hour and a half with AB. I wonder how we proceed with this thread.

What goes on the road stays on the road. That was absolutely crazy. He really lives up to his reputation! He ate big had a drink and lived life large. A truly bigger-then-life deity!

I am in awe, I need to sleep and reform/formulate my thoughts on life and food.

PS. He looks like a movie star…how does he do it?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I'm trying to post photo's, but really, rehydration is way more important. Ask Mooshmouse, she'll agree!

Chefs, that was an amazing evening and so far and above the call of duty! Thank you so much!

**I will try and get the photos up for tomorrow. I have 3 up on image gullet if any one wants to look there.**

I'm trying to post photo's, but really, rehydration is way more important.  Ask Mooshmouse, she'll agree!

Chefs, that was an amazing evening and so far and above the call of duty!  Thank you so much! 

**I will try and get the photos up for tomorrow.  I have 3 up on image gullet if any one wants to look there.**

I wish I could post the photo I have with AB, but he (and maybe I do as well) have a middle finger up! What is that about...we are such bad boys of food!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Bravo Chefs and Jaime for hosting one heck of a memorable event.

I came home stuffed, stupefied and sorry to have had to leave the festivities a wee bit early.

Opus Hotel book signing, $95 and a book.

Bar None appearance, $50 and a book.

What us fellow eGulleters experienced at the HSG, “priceless”.

Who could argue a “personal” visit by, in Chef Fowke’s words, “a bigger than life deity”. It truly was a magical moment when King Bourdain walked into the room. He walked among us mortals, beer in hand, exuding grace and that “star quality” that I’m sure everyone felt. And there we were with silly grins on our faces and hanging on every word he spoke.

We certainly do have a fine forum membership here on the West Coast if last night’s attendance was any indication. Let’s hope for many more of these events!

Thanks for posting the link to the album Arne. It was very late when I started that and well, one should not be using a computer when one has consumed copious amounts of wine.

I have most of them posted, but I'm going to touch up some of the others. I will post descriptions at some point today too. Some actually may need some explaing, others, not really.

Enjoy folks! Off to get Tater Tots!

Wow , what a night. The dishes are done, the duck confit is stashed away for Brian and Neil for sandwiches and the place put back together for Saturday night

Great to see everyone there and having a good time. Someone wrote that it was going to be like a giant blind date. I think was more like a gathering of old friends at a intimate dinner party.

People did not have any trouble mixing and the "non - egulleters" had no trouble mixing in.

Good job on the silent auction. A goodly amount of money was raised for the Chef's Table - Jaimie will post the final results when all of the accountants from

F. Morris Chatters and Co. do the final tabulations.

Besides the tall chap from New York , we did have another celebrity in our midst - Barbara Jo MacIntosh , Chef, Author, famous store owner and more importantly, the person who facilitated Mr. Bourdain's visit to our fair city. Without her, we would not have had the catalyst to get the " Big Night " going. I will dropping off a nice bottle of wine for her as a thanks for letting us piggy back her event.

Now then, about that bus tour of Richmond Mr. Talent ? We will leave that in your hands for the new year . We will need a bus with a refrigerator, an ice machine, a grill, perhaps some induction elements and some space for mise en place for in between restaurant stops. As the first e-gullet dinner is out of the way , Brian and I can sit back and dream of the next one.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I just woke up and my stomach is still hurting from last night. I was full before the entrees came! That's how much good food there was! Last night was so great; everyone was so friendly. The duck rillettes were my bf's favorite--he told me he must have downed 1/2 of the entire PLATTER while watching the film. The pastrami was awesome, as were the oysters and short ribs, but I think my absolute favorite (this is a very hard choice) would be the tuna with tomato chutney. Mmmm.... Oh yeah, and the gingerbread pudding of course. Damn that is a good dessert. Reminds me of sticky toffee pudding. I didn't even have room for the cheese of tequila shooters! As soon as I waddled into my apartment, I had to unzip my skirt. I haven't eaten so well in a long time, thanks to Chef Neil, Chef Fowke, and their staff.

I think I was starstruck when Tony walked into the room at Opus. We followed him around for a while until I finally worked up the courage to ask for a picture. I'll post that later. :smile:

Mrs. Gourmet here...thanks all for the fantastic evening. Unfortunately a belly full of great food and drink makes me sleepy so it was a Cinderella exit for us. Nonetheless, I enjoyed meeting all the characters which make this site so interesting (despite a couple of those pics which indicate otherwise...I was smiling on the inside, really!). I loved all the food...I think I died and went to foodie heaven...to have chefs of the calibre of NW and BF working so hard to host an amazing evening...made the $95 crush at the AB signing well worthwhile. (Sorry, I'm not up to speed on the egullet handles yet...I'm a post virgin. But what an initiation...) The Mr. and I look forward to following this group's food adventures and to more food functions. We're off to a Szechuan dinner for 10 hosted by Stephanie Yuen at Ba Guo Bu Yi Fine Szechuan Restaurant tonight in Richmond with stars in our eyes...last night will be hard to top.

PS...Are there any leftovers...I'm hungry again!

Figured I would check in, now that I'm awake and returned to near normal functioning.

lemon curd and I had a great time last night, and enjoyed the chance to finally meet the people behind the usernames, and their SOs. Not to mention the evening of great food and too much to drink! I'll count myself amongst those I heard remark how "normal" and "nice" everyone seemed, relieved that none of us appear to be drooling on-line freaks who are hideous once exposed to the light.

I hope we can find other opportunities to get together and share our passions for good food! Thanks to all those who made last night possible!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I’ve been sitting in the showroom most of today, still somewhat awed by what transpired last night. Who’d have thought that this …

What about a Vancouver eGullet dinner after Opus? Enough choices in that part of town to be sure

… would have led to this?

gallery_18348_334_1099768978.jpg

I think Chef Neil said it best:

Someone wrote that it was going to be like a giant blind date. I think was more like a gathering of old friends at a intimate dinner party.

I don't want to get all sentimental here ... but a few notes are in order.

• To Neil, Brian & the kitchen staff at "The Hammy", I offer a quote from Big Night.
    God damn it, I should kill you! This is so fucking good I should kill you!
  • To Jamie and everyone who contributed to the Silent Auction ... I am continually amazed at the generosity of the people that congregate on eGullet. Thank you for kindness and for your contribution to the evening.
  • For Jamie, Neil & Brian ... I have never worked with a better group of people organizing an event. Some of you may know I have a background in event management. These guys deserve all the credit!
  • Another for Jamie ... what the hell were you singing? Should we make it the Vancouver eG anthem?
  • Mooshmouse ... you married a saint. Either that or Ian actually enjoyed your embrace with AB. :shock:
  • peppyre ... wine is for DRINKING not laundry
  • tofino ... damn you for scooping the Note Bene away from me!
  • Keith Talent ... I hope you remembered to take your Nyquil cup to Paris.
  • Coop ... my wife wanted me to thank you for bringing Sharon. She enjoyed being taller than someone for a change :laugh:
  • Foodie ... TAG you're it. Bread and Olive Oil tasting at you place!

So many other thoughts I'm sure will come out later. One thing's for sure ... we have to do this again!

From Big Night:

Secondo : Primo, do you know why this night is happening?

Primo : No.

Secondo : Because it has to happen.

A.

A couple of things -

In " Big Night", Louis Prima did not show up.

Did we have an alternate ending where in our "Big Night", Louis Prima showed up, ate, drank, smoked, kissed someone and left ? I think so.

And I want to say, and I hope that he does not get too embarrassed, but when Brian and I were introduced to Tony, Tony actually said to Brian

"Holy fuck, You're "Chef Fowke" ! Man, you are a fucking legend". Jesus Christ, nice to meet you!"

I do not want anyone to get a big head ( if you look at the pictures, I have quite a large melon........where the hell did that come from ! ) but that was pretty cool.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Now that I'm somewhat back to normal, I thought it would be a good time to post some more comments about last night.

Neil, Brian, Jamie, and Arne, you all did an amazing job planning the evening! I'd have to say it was a success and I was blown away that you had actually found time to put together a recipe book for us. Thank you again!!

The food...what more can be said about the food. I can still taste those ribs!

The people..what can be said about the people. I never thought I could walk into a room full of virtual strangers, people who really are very diverse but all with one thing in common, an insane love of food and truly feel like I have known everyone for years.

Mooshmouse, I'm sorry I didn't have the camera on to capture your infamous kiss. You naughty girl. And not just once either, you kissed him twice!! Ian truly is saint or was in the other room?

I'm looking forward to the next event and I really think we need a potluck around Christmas time.

Hope everyone is starting to feel somewhat normal again. Enjoy the pictures.

I think Chef Neil said it best:
Someone wrote that it was going to be like a giant blind date. I think was more like a gathering of old friends at a intimate dinner party.

A.

I just wanted to chime in and add a few things to the remarks made today--from Arne and many others:

The food was as hearty and flavoursome as those who ate it. Yvonne and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting each of you and joining in some remarkable conversations.

I also wanted to thank Ben Reeder and Tara for bringing the DVD set-up so that we could view their remarkable video production of Vancouver chefs and kitchens.

And, in addition to thanking Brian and Neil for their blood, sweat and beers, on behalf of the Chefs' Table Society, I'd like to thank all who contributed to and bid on the Silent Auction. When I visited Neil today, he had already totalled the proceeds: a whopping $1950. Thanks to each of you for your extraordinary generosity.

Finally, will the successful bidder on the Golf Package please PM Mr. Gourmet to arrange delivery of the gift certificate.

We trust that you found our seminar on food safety--aka the Heineken Manoevre--illuminating. The combination of that and Brian's wonderful pastrami had me convinced this morning that an F-18 had mistaken my mouth for a Taliban cave.

Cheers to you all,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

So have we all recovered yet? :blink:

A big thanks to Arne, Jamie, Neil and Brian for putting together a fantastic event. We had such a great time last night and it was really nice to finally meet you all in person. Thanks to peppyre and Chef Metcalf for getting the pics up so quickly. Quite inpressive considering the vast quantities of wine that were consumed last night.

Looking forward to doing this again soon.

Scout