• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain Coming to Vancouver

Daddy-A

Vancouver eGullet Big Night

Payment Information

Starting October 1, Neil (nwyles) and our good hosts at the Hamilton Street Grill will be taking payment for this illustrious event.

Hamilton Street Grill

1009 Hamilton Street, Vancouver

Tickets $75 per person (includes paired wines, taxes & gratuities)

Seating is limited to 50. We're almost sold out! RSVP with your credit card to Neil at 604-331-1511.

If you haven't registered, please PM Daddy-A to do so.

Sorry, one more question: any sort of attire requirements for this thing? I saw Jamie Maw on the Food Network last night and he looked quite dapper, I'm not sure I can compete with that.

Maybe I can just dust off my I :wub: AB t-shirt?

Jamie did look quite natty didn't he. Having met you at the Hamburger Club night at Moderne, you strike me as the kind of guy who would know how to throw together an outfit.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pimp Daddy Suede, I mean Coop.

You have all got me so hyped up for this e-gullet event at HSG I'm sad I might miss it. I haven't asked for the day off yet because I just started a new job, working in a kitchen. I'm going to attempt to ask this coming Monday, and then, hopefully, I'll be calling you Neil and Daddy-A to give you my moneyand possibly volunteering my time.

I have to admit I'm not a big AB fan...he scared me to death after reading his books and before entering the culinary field. It would be hysterical if he in person isn't the man we know of.

I don't know if anyone would be remembered for dying trying to drink this man under the table...or would they? What a cool and unusual headstone though!

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Also posted in the pinned thread in this forum

Vancouver eGullet Big Night

October 7 - Update

1. Ticket sales are under way. Daddy-A will be updating the guest list in this post with those who have/haven't paid ... just a gentle reminder :biggrin: Please ensure that you have paid for your ticket(s) by October 21st, either by dropping by the Hamilton Street Grill at 1009 Hamilton Street, or by calling in your credit card information to Chef Neil Wyles at 604-331-1511.

Please note that paired wines are included in the ticket price but that you are welcome to start a tab for additional beverages.

2. SILENT AUCTION Please confirm your silent auction items by sending a PM to Jamie Maw. The more the merrier, with all proceeds going to the Chefs' Table Society of British Columbia. Unfortunately, tax receipts cannot be issued at this time.

3. VOLUNTEERS We need a few good folks to help at the meet and greet and assist with name tags. Please PM Arne.

This Just In!

Went to pick up my tickets for the Opus event today ... and Barbara-Jo told me there are still tickets available for both the Opus & Bar None events.

A.

There are indeed still tickets for both events--please tell your friends.

Some of you, who had earlier offered Silent Auction items (Coop, to remind--the vertical of Ch. Margaux; Keith Talent the horizontal of industrial detergents et al), have already responded. Many thanks. It would warm my chilly heart if the rest of you would confirm by PM by Monday if possible.

A number of you have mentioned that you would like to purchase copies of Vancouver Cooks for Christmas presents, for self, relative or friend. We've arranged a special one-time discount price (through Barabara-jo) of $32.50 (plus taxes - versus $40 retail) available the evening of November 5th. It would help if you could let us know how many copies you would like and we'll arrange to have them there the night of. By the way, we have no control over the retail price of the book and it's possible that there will be similar or greater discounts available elsewhere. This one simply allows a slightly higher amount (a buck or two per book) to flow through to the Chefs' Table Bursary Fund. Hope it works for you.

Thanks from Arne, Neil and me for your support all round,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 2 weeks later...
There are still a few seats left!  PM me if you'd like to come join the festivities.  We're hoping to get everyone confirmed and paid by tomorrow.

CORRECTION ...

WE'RE SOLD OUT!

Thanks everyone! A couple of you still need to get in touch with Neil and pay up (you know who you are ... :hmmm: )

I'm really looking forward to this. See y'all on the 5th!

A.

I have just noticed a stunning resemblance between Louis Prima and Dr. Bourdain. Or was it Stanley Tucci and Louis Prima?

Anyway, Neil, did that keg of Heineken come through alright?

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

We have some feelers out for that keg.  We will have one Friday , one way or the other.

Neil

Thanks for that Neil, but Friday might be too late to get it down to the preferred serving temperature of 1 degree Celsius.

Signed,

Anxious in Kitsilano.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine