• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain Coming to Vancouver

Daddy-A

I'm gonna guess he's probably a little tired of the whole "cobra heart" type  thing.  I mean, extreme cuisine is one thing, but after a whole tour of people asking him the same questions about it, I think he'd appreciate real honest food.  Local ingredients for sure (wild Spring salmon, Salt Spring lamb, etc.), with the obligatory BC grape.

I agree! The food needs to entice, yet be very Vancouver/Western Canada...but what to serve. I love rare tuna, spot prawns, salmon, etc; but is that really representative of the great food that is available in Vancouver? What really makes this city different then Seattle, San Fran or LA? I am exposed to restaurant food everyday and I am becoming jaded, I just want to see something different on the plate or at least the same product prepared differently then just grilled with a fruit salsa!

No doubt, the meal needs to start with Pastrami…

Maybe a teaser from my new menu…

But what would Bourdain like to try? What would the local eGulleter’s want to sample at this dinner?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Other than the obvious BC wines and beers (lets not forget the beers!), we need to look for the items more unique to this area. How about some of the rare apples on Salt Spring Island (their apple festival is upcoming, maybe snag some rare ones for a dessert or sauce), red fife wheat is now being grown again in the Victoria area for breads, any of the great organic lamb/etc being raised in the area. Cheeses from David Woods of Salt Spring, Hilary Abott of Vancouver Island, and the very yummy tiger blue of Poplar Grove to name a few. Lots of great organic vegetables in the area, local sausages etc. I feel we also need to incorporate some of the great ethnic food we are so well known for, or at least use some of the items mentioned above, maybe prepared in an ethnic style to show our diversity. Just a few thoughts - should be a lot of fun!

Howdy all,

A few of us are meeting at Neil's gustatorium this afternoon to plot a menu for our inaugural eGullet Dinner.

Right now the plan is to convene immediately after the Barbara-jo/Opus event--at a few minutes after 7 pm at The Hamilton Street Bar and Grill. We're then going to have a schmooze fest for about 45 minutes. Keith Talent has already volunteered to run the check-in table and fill out the name tags. Thank you Keith. We're also going to ask you to pay in advance and then relax and enjoy.

Dinner will start at 8pm and we're looking at 4 or 5 courses. We plan to include in the ticket price a couple of cocktails/wine pours/beers at the reception and a pour for each course. Tomorrow we'll forward a budget inclusive of gratuity--we'll try to keep it to a dull roar. Of course you're welcome to bring a guest.

In the interests of keeping our costs down, anyone with a line on local ingredients or wines (1 case minimum) pease respond by PM to me or Neil.

I'm going to donate a few items as doorprizes, all others welcome. Coop, surely there's some interesting marine hardware that you could donate to this fine cause.

Looking forward,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Thanks Coop and Arne. Coop, we appreciate the donation of the wine and Arne, signing up dinner subscribers would be great.

Although we're going to price the dinner as a breakeven in order to keep costs down, we thought a raffle or silent auction of donated goods and services would be useful. We propose that the winnings be donated to the Chefs' Society of BC Bursary Fund, which funds emerging local chefs. So please bombard me with what you'd like to donate--free accounting, a year's supply of commercial detergent, a new kitchen, control-top panty hose (the food critic's friend) . . .

Les chefs and I discussed some local ingredients that would be interesting and available around Remembrance Day and have come up with some alternative courses that Neil is now pricing. There will be some starters upon arrival, another when we sit, a fish/meat alternative for the main course and a dessert. Budget allowing, Neil may be able to slip in an extra course.

Maximum capacity is about 50.

We'll post the menu in about a week and ask you to confirm with Arne. One thing we're all absolutely agreed upon--if you reserve tickets you're absolutely committed to coming and will pay for your dinner. That's simply being fair to our host and to your fellow eGulleteers.

Stay tuned.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I have pm'd Daddy A to let him know we would like 4 spots for the dinner (my wife and I, as well as the Ahiers of SOBO fame), and I think the idea of the donation to the BC Chefs is great, I will talk to the owner of the Wick, and try to arrange a free night donation. Looking forward to this!!

Thanks very much Tofino, and please give Charles and Andrew our very best. A weekend at the Wick would be a superb donation. I am checking to see if Chefs' Table can offer tax receipts as it is now a registered society. These are more important for personal donations, as companies can simply write off any donation as a business/promo expense.

Foodie in Vancouve is also researching her extensive cellar and has already proposed a vertical collection of Nota Bene for our silent auction.

PS--We can assure you that the menu will be very local--to the point where we'll (that would be the 'royal we') be drying and bottling Stoney Paradise tomatoes and a few other items not still in season. And we've picked a fish that will be.

Thanks all for your enthusiasm.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I'm in.......I've got a cook that would like to come as well. We were planning on crashing the other events as we couldn't get tickets. We would be most willing to source unique wine or food for the dinner either from our resort our on our own. We just got 200 pounds of chantrelles and 200 more to come in October. We've also got the new Black Hills white (I think it's Alibi - sorry, lots o drinks) and could bring some for the auction - so funny cause I served the 2001 Bene for our pairing tonight - if there was a phone # or contact info for 'Arne' I'd appreciate it.

Paul

Paul and Eric,

Thanks for your proposed donations. Please send Arne a PM (although he may be away--I sent him one yesterday) with your name and the name of your guest (yes, we're doing name-tags). When you're confirmed with your donation, please confirm same with me, again by PM.

And Paul, we'll see if Chef Neil can find a good home for those 'shrooms.

Many thanks,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I just PM'ed Arne, I hope I am not too late to get on the long awaited list .. before it was Waiting for Guffman and now it is 'The Big Night'. he he

I don't know what I can donate, my wine collection dimishes quickly as we have no self control; and food, well i am not in the restaurant business so no great amaounts of special food, i just love food and I guess a big time foodie. So if you guys need any help in any way I can donate my time! I hope this doesn't knock me off the list :(

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

DameD,

Yes, we'll gladly accept your time. It may mean cutting out of the Opus a few minutes early to help out with the meet and greet. And I agree with Coop that we should prepay as soon as we know the figure. We'll try to hold it below $2.1 million.

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Since I can't figure out how to PM more than one person at a time :blink: ...

I have started a new post with the current guest list. I'll update it as often as is necessary (every 15 minutes right?), so if you've PM'd me, check HERE first.

I'm not ignoring you ... I just have a job, and a wife, and kids, and dogs ... none of whom truly understand just how freakin' important this really is!! :wacko:

I'll PM those from whom I require more information.

Arne

DameD,

Yes, we'll gladly accept your time. It may mean cutting out of the Opus a few minutes early to help out with the meet and greet. And I agree with Coop that we should prepay as soon as we know the figure. We'll try to hold it below $2.1 million.

Jamie

Definitely Jamie, i am there, just tell me what to do.. even before, I don't work, I am at home with a 2 year old. So like I said i have the time.

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

Definitely Jamie, i am there, just tell me what to do.. even before, I don't work, I am at home with a 2 year old. So like I said i have the time.

WARNING! BROWNIE POINTS ABOUT TO BE SCORED

You're the mother of a 2 year old and you "don't work"? Really DameD! You have one of the most important jobs of all!! :wub:

Thanks for volunteering. I'm sure I could use some help when it comes time to coordinate all the "registration." I'll stay in touch.

Arne

WARNING!  BROWNIE POINTS ABOUT TO BE SCORED

You're the mother of a 2 year old and you "don't work"?  Really DameD! You have one of the most important jobs of all!!  :wub: 

Thanks for volunteering.  I'm sure I could use some help when it comes time to coordinate all the "registration."  I'll stay in touch.

Arne

Hey when I am competing against cases of Note Bene and pounds and pounds of shrooms, what hope do i have!

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

BIG NIGHT: La Grand Bouffe

Here's what we know so far:

1. Arne has taken reservations for about 29, which means we should reach 40 but have room for 50.

2. We have some excellent local products arriving over the next few weeks that won't be available come mid-November that we'll be drying or bottling

3. We also have the beginnings of a silent auction, so far with a wine vertical, other wines, cook books etc.

4. We're canvassing for wine contributors for the evening.

5. Chef Fowke is investigating a couple of more local ingredients; once we have them sourced, we'll get back to you with the price.

6. We're going to pay in advance.

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

You're the mother of a 2 year old and you "don't work"?  Really DameD! You have one of the most important jobs of all!!  :wub: 

Aye to that! With stay-at-home Mom status putting my former executive life well behind me, people often ask, "When are you going back to work?" My reply? "Well, I have a 3-year-old son. I work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And you get to leave the office every night..."

I'll reiterate my PM to Arne that I'd also be more than happy to help in any way needed, organizational or otherwise. Since dear husband and I won't be at Opus beforehand, we'll have a little extra time on our hands before La Grande Soiree.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Good morning,

I just wanted to thank everyone for PM'ing me so quickly. This BIG NIGHT sounds like it's going to be really fun.

If you're adding yourself to the list, please include yoour "real" name (as well as the name of any dining partner) along with your eGullet handle ... unless of course you want to be called by your handle all night :hmmm:

Most people have already sent me this info. I'll be in touch with those who haven't.

Thanks again,

Arne

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

cjs,

Actually, if you read back on this thread a bit, you'll see that many of us will be be at the first event at the Opus from 5 to 7, then we're off to the Hamilton Street Grill for an eGullet dinner. Care to join us?

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

• 2 weeks later...

BIG NIGHT DINNER MENU

For any of you waiting to see the menu before you commit, here you are. Many thanks to chefs Neil Wyles, our host, and Brian Fowke, for designing tjis wonderful card that celebrates where we live. Arne will shortly post it on the pinned header at the top of our board.

Price: $75 includes paired wines, taxes and gratuity

Reception

‘eGullet’ Style Pastrami on Rye

Smoked Duck & Chipotle Rillette

Shrimp Stuffed Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

Scallop Ceviche

Appetizers

Smoked BC Albacore Tuna

scallion crème fraiche, Okanagan tomato-apple chutney

Poached Oyster on the Half Shell

double smoked bacon, woodland mushroom cream

Blue Goose Organic Short-rib