• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain Coming to Vancouver

Daddy-A

Spouses will probably get along better than we all will. "What? You're married to an opionated idiot that spends way to large a part of their day worrying about what's for dinner too? I can sympathize, you poor thing."

That should be the only crietria for membership here, have you ever discussed dinner while still lying in bed in the morning?

I am the kind of reader that once I start, I will not put the book down until I finish it. ( I also read the last page first )

aaah i read the last page first and drives everyone nuts... just gotta know.. And in rregards to the food club and the spouses. My spouse jokes about me on egullet all the time to friends, but i know he secretly likes it and is quite happy to be included in the 'Waiting for Bourdain' event.. and yes Keith I lie in bed and think about what i should make for dinner and all the delectable things i can pickup at the market.

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

What drives my bf crazy is when I start planning our next meal when we're in the middle of eating another (I will often discuss dinner plans while having breakfast). He thinks I'm the one that's crazy, but if I wasn't the one figuring it out, he'd probably end up eating cereal every night.

My wife is considering smashing my computer at home. I have become an Egullet addict. I can't stop ! Help me before I post again.

Ahhh, glad to see that I'm not the only one who has become entombed in the sucking vortex of time otherwise known as eGullet... help me, I've logged in and I can't get up. The number of times I check for new posts each day is absolutely ridiculous.

Spouses will probably get along better than we all will. "What? You're married to an opionated idiot that spends way to large a part of their day worrying about what's for dinner too? I can sympathize, you poor thing."

Dear husband looks at me in disbelief when I ask him, "What would you like to have for dinner honey?" This, of course, prefaced by the fact that I haven't yet lifted my head from the pillow in the morning, or am about to take my first bite of lunch. Or when I talk non-stop about a much-anticipated dinner at West for days beforehand, savoring each bite in anticipation. As far as he's concerned, food is only for the moment. For me, food is past, present and future. Reminiscing about amazing meals gone by, relishing what's on my plate now, and eagerly anticipating planned meals to come. Good heavens, I'm a hopeless case. :blink:

...if we do show, I'll be telling her that you're all old friends from university. I'd appreciate it if you all played along. If you're noticeably older, and she questions you on it, just tell her you were slow.

Now Keith. What about if we're noticeably younger? I hate to hazard a guess at the average age of local eGulleteers who'll be at Chef Wyles's fine dining establishment. Opus is a no-go for us due to babysitting logistics, but we too are hoping to make an appearance at the Hamilton Street Grill extravaganza.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Ahhh, glad to see that I'm not the only one who has become entombed in the sucking vortex of time otherwise known as eGullet... help me, I've logged in and I can't get up. The number of times I check for new posts each day is absolutely ridiculous.

My computer at work is on the way to dry storage - who am I kidding - it is in dry storage so I check everytime I walk by and sometimes I make a special trip to see if anyone has posted.

Are there any old time Egulleters out there who can tell me when this will wear off and I become normal again ?

I am hoping the average age of Vancouver Egulleters is around 30 - who am I kidding , closer to 40 !

I for one am looking forward to putting names and faces together. I post under my name but not everyone does. So when I meet you ano the street one day we could use real names so my wife does not think I am some "Uber-geek" with friends with codenames. Please save me from a lifetime of scorn and ridicule!

Arne - how many people will be coming to our little event - menu planning is under way !!

P.S. It is time to start the new thread about the Bourdain dinner as this has strayed off topic - for which I am guilty !

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

You're all addicts! Hopeless addicts! :biggrin:

I for one am looking forward to putting names and faces together. I post under my name but not everyone does. So when I meet you ano the street one day we could use real names so my wife does not think I am some "Uber-geek" with friends with codenames. Please save me from a lifetime of scorn and ridicule!

Yeah Neil, I gotta admitt I sometimes have pangs of regret not using my real name ... perhaps I'll start signing with it. Oh, and by the way ... you ARE an Uber-geek. Just be at peace with that and you'll do fine.

Arne - how many people will be coming to our little event - menu planning is under way !!

P.S. It is time to start the new thread about the Bourdain dinner as this has strayed off topic - for which I am guilty !

I'll start the new thread after Labour Day ... this group NEVER stays on topic anyway. Our current count is 27, including a couple tentatives. I will be PM-ing those who haven't PM-d me by September ... I just want to keep this thread on topic right? :rolleyes:

Arne

I'll be telling her that you're all old friends from university. I'd appreciate it if you all played along. If you're noticeably older, and she questions you on it, just tell her you were slow. You could try telling her you were a professor, but God help you should she discover your lie, far less risky to stick with "I wasn't very smart back at school."

I'm still in university.

Oh my god I have created a monster - I never meant all this to conspire after I said that I would chase absinthe shots with beating cobra hearts at the Au Bar affair - but funny thing is that I have no tickets - working in the middle of nowhere and no life line to Vancouver - but even if I could buy a ticket I would't - because I am going to show up with my best bud Dre and I am going to spend two, three, four days sourcing snakes in China Town - just you guys wait - no one has crashed a debutane party in Vancouver like I will - with a backpack full of snakes and a mitfull of twenites to bypass the bouncers.

Oh my god I have created a monster - I never meant all this to conspire after I said that I would chase absinthe shots with beating cobra hearts at the Au Bar affair - but funny thing is that I have no tickets - working in the middle of nowhere and no life line to Vancouver - but even if I could buy a ticket I would't - because I am going to show up with my best bud Dre and I am going to spend two, three, four days sourcing snakes in China Town - just you guys wait - no one has crashed a debutane party in Vancouver like I will - with a backpack full of snakes and a mitfull of twenites to bypass the bouncers.

um, I have sourced the snakes, and know where the bile is...

Not cheap, but I am looking forward to sampling the meat.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Now Keith.  What about if we're noticeably younger? 

That's easy, I actually thought you'd all figure that out by yourselves. You just tell her that I was slow. It'll be the only thing that said to her all night that won't result in a cocked eyebrow and a slow breathy "really?"

So now I'm worried - I am in for the HSG event but l am clearly a LOT older than most of you. My dear husband has politely said - "No dear, you go on your own."

And as for living to eat - why else do we exist? But you need to add wine to my obsession list - have way too many wines in the house already - we have filled all available spaces with wine, wine and more wine. Now the cases are starting to stack up in my teenage daughter's office space. Luckily they aren't interested in wine - Kokanee Beer seems to be all they squirrel away - haven't even glanced in the direction of the wine. (Not very well hidden beer I might add) And still I want to buy more wine. Stovetop would be pleased as much of it is BC wine - drinking a N'Kimp Pinot Noir right now - can't recommend it. Not much fruit and quite 'hot ' for a Pinot.

Will still attend the HSG event, although it seems as if I am going to be increasing the average age at this event. I refuse to even try the snake, with or without the gallbladder. Is it a weeknight? If so, will need to make a reasonably credible appearance of productivity at work the next day. Something has to finance the wine habit. So will not even attempt to keep up to drinking prowess of others.

Cheers,

Karole

So now I'm worried - I am in for the HSG event but l am clearly a LOT older than most of you. ... Now the cases are starting to stack up in my teenage daughter's office space.

Not that it matters ... but I have a teenage son too (OK, he turned 13 last month). So you ain't that old.

Kokanee Beer seems to be all they squirrel away - haven't even glanced in the direction of the wine. (Not very well hidden beer I might add)

Ummmmm ... you shouldn't NEED to hide Kokanee. Like someone's gonna drink that stuff?? (Sorry ... I'm a beer snob).

I refuse to even try the snake, with or without the gallbladder.

I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago ... not about to ingest one from a snake! I will try the meat though ...

Is it a weeknight? If so, will need to make a reasonably credible appearance of productivity at work the next day.

Nope ... it's a FRIDAY! Maybe you're teenage daughter can be your designated driver. I hear Coop's bringing his son for the same reason. :wink: Maybe your kids could double date :wink::biggrin:

Arne

My wife and I will fit right in the middle (30) with no kids to speak of (yet), so no babysitting problems either. Can't wait for the evening!

I guess you could desribe us as wine and food people - we dream about and discuss food for more minutes of eveyday than anything else, we are always planning the next meal or dinner party, our house is filled to the rafters with wine (sorry - but not mostly BC - I am still an old world fan) and food stuffs from the Gourmet Warehouse that we will never possibly use but just had to have and every anniversary present, birthday present and christmas present had better have something to do with food - hence the evening with Mr. Bourdain was part of my wife's recent anniversary present! Jewelry possibly - food always!

is the big guy going to be there?

Let's get a menu together of some fantastic " Westcoast " cuisine , send it to him and see if he is up for it.

We know that this is quite a time involved tour so it must be great to drag him out late at night after a long day of gladhanding.

I have a few ideas floating around in my head.

Any suggestions ?

I know there is another forum discussing " Westcoast " Cuisine. I do not want to debate that here.

A West Coast chef cooking West coast product with perhaps a few local methods would be enough in my book to call it " Westcoast "

Let's get some ideas bouncing around !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Let's get a menu together of some fantastic "  Westcoast " cuisine , send it to him and see if he is up for it.

We know that this is quite a time involved tour so it must be great to drag him out late at night after a long day of gladhanding.

I have a few ideas floating around in my head.

Any suggestions ?

Dear God Neil, if I have to suggest the Pastrami you & Brian have been working on, but apparently not sharing with anyone, I'm gonna have to hit someone with a kosher dill! :laugh::laugh:

I'm gonna guess he's probably a little tired of the whole "cobra heart" type thing. I mean, extreme cuisine is one thing, but after a whole tour of people asking him the same questions about it, I think he'd appreciate real honest food. Local ingredients for sure (wild Spring salmon, Salt Spring lamb, etc.), with the obligatory BC grape.

Perhaps a Nanimo Bar for desert? Too obvious? :biggrin:

Arne