• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

daSto

DonRocks

Yes, it's true: apparently to compensate for the defiantly wan name "Colorado Kitchen," they're going to open a "little foody retail store" two doors down, hilariously called - and not many people could get away with this - daSto. An excerpt from their newsletter:

Sometime around labor day, daSto, a little foody retail store will open at 5521 Colorado Avenue.  daSto will feature classic replica aprons, cards, gifts, vintage cook books and appliances, unique and hard to find packaged food, specialty baked goods by Polly Style...a whole assortment of kitchen kitsch.

a "little foody retail store" two doors down, hilariously called - and not many people could get away with this - daSto.

:blink:

Is this hysterically tongue-in-cheek, intentionally obnoxious, or just stupid?

Edited by eunny jang (log)

I'm not about to daSHto daSto anytime soon. How could five little letters so succinctly combines condescension, obliviousness, and one-beat-behind trendiness? Any way you cut it, it is guilty of at least two of the above.

The name reminds me for some reason of Jean Teasdale from The Onion: "eBay? hOoray!"

Kitchen kitch bought at a "little foodie store" holds no appeal for me. Either it's gingham-checked crap like this: BBQ Chef Geese, which is so cutesy-tacky it makes me want to puke, or it's self-satisfied hipster doofus crap like this: Rosie apron, which is so smug it makes me want to puke.

Their "hard to find packaged goods" better be damn interesting.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Where's everyones sense of humor gone today? It's silly and funny, only offensive if you want to make it that way, but overall harmless. Are we going to have to start debating ebonics on this chat?

Jeez!

Sorrrrrrrryyyyyy!

I guess I should have put a smilie on my comment.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: (How's that?)

:raz:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'm relieved to read everyone's reactions, varied as they are.

My first impression was "wow, that's dumb." I can't imagine saying "I'm going to dSto" anytime soon. It's kind of how I feel whenever I try to pronounce Pho correctly and just feel...awkward.

My next impressions were that the name is bordering on offensive.

Finally, I thought "wow, that doesn't make any sense at all when you figure what they're selling."

I really don't get all the thinly-veiled hostility to Gillian Clark and all her earthly works. Is her crime in opening a good restaurant in an area outside of the approved hipster foodie zone? Is it in insisting on running her place her way? Is it in having some fun with stereotypes about black women in the kitchen? Come on, folks, Aunt Jemimah pepperpots and feeble wordplay are a slender basis for the prosecution of thoughtcrimes.

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

For someone who often comes across as humorless and inflexible, I think the name "daSto" is a PR triumph -- hey, maybe she is someone who'd be fun to shoot the breeze out behind the kitchen after all. I think if any other dialect was being used similarly, there would be little discussion of its appropriateness -- if a southern chef called their store "Cook's Holler" or a Frenchman opened "zee Shoap."

Of course, any pun has the potential for aging rapidly, and the true test is what she stocks. Why not give her the benfit of the doubt and wait for Rocks to report back from the grand opening party on what's she's stocking and if return policies are more flexible in the store than the restaurant.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

For someone who often comes across as humorless and inflexible, I think the name "daSto" is a PR triumph -- hey, maybe she is someone who'd be fun to shoot the breeze out behind the kitchen after all. I think if any other dialect was being used similarly, there would be little discussion of its appropriateness -- if a southern chef called their store "Cook's Holler" or a Frenchman opened "zee Shoap."

Of course, any pun has the potential for aging rapidly, and the true test is what she stocks. Why not give her the benfit of the doubt and wait for Rocks to report back from the grand opening party on what's she's stocking and if return policies are more flexible in the store than the restaurant.

Sheee-at, Dat's a dope ass name for a motherfuck'n crib up in da hood G. Me and my Niggaz are gonna up all up inside that bee-ay-tch.

You've all missed the point. Gillian is seems to be making her own Cosby-like statements on the times and the neighborhood with one simple word. Of course if she's not mocking it she's perpetuating it. Which would be worse than another post-humous Tupac album.

(Disclaimer, I only dropped the N-Bomb because Clark did in the City Paper review, which takes large eggs and a cast iron pan to fry'em)

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

On the contrary - I'd think the bulk of the target demo for a "little foodie store" would deem the name vaguely unsettling and offensive before they thought it was clever, cute or humorous.

And that's my real problem with it - it's not clever at all. It's not a pun, it's not really wordplay. Seems kind of pointless. For the record, I think "zeeStore", or "de Store, esse" would be pretty silly names too.

Now, a German bakery in the middle of the 'hood called DasSto' would be hysterical.

:smile:

Hey, a janky sign in a janky hood. The good kinda janky.

Anyone have the fortune to shop at da other stos around there?

stretch, what's the name of that Korean store on the corner, Gold Corner Market ? It' supposed to be Good Corner Market, I think...

Now, a German bakery in the middle of the 'hood called DasSto' would be hysterical.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah. Gold Corner Market. He has signed photo of Dubya to ward off all evil. Probably off topic, but since we're talking about 'hoods and changing perceptions, it's worth mentioning that there was a house for sale two blocks from Colorado Kitchen last weekend for $800,000. Not a huge one, neither. There's also a newly-fitted-out shopfront down the way on 14th opposite the bus depot with a big sign saying "Perfect for Juice Bar or Family Restaurant."

Maybe they'll put in a "Janky Juice." :raz:

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

For someone who often comes across as humorless and inflexible, I think the name "daSto" is a PR triumph -- hey, maybe she is someone who'd be fun to shoot the breeze out behind the kitchen after all.  I think if any other dialect was being used similarly, there would be little discussion of its appropriateness -- if a southern chef called their store "Cook's Holler" or a Frenchman opened "zee Shoap."

On the contrary - I'd think the bulk of the target demo for a "little foodie store" would deem the name vaguely unsettling and offensive before they thought it was clever, cute or humorous.

And that's my real problem with it - it's not clever at all. It's not a pun, it's not really wordplay. Seems kind of pointless. For the record, I think "zeeStore", or "de Store, esse" would be pretty silly names too.

Silly, yes. unsettling or offensive, no.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Probably off topic, but since we're talking about 'hoods and changing perceptions, it's worth mentioning that there was a house for sale two blocks from Colorado Kitchen last weekend for $800,000. Not a huge one, neither. There's also a newly-fitted-out shopfront down the way on 14th opposite the bus depot with a big sign saying "Perfect for Juice Bar or Family Restaurant."

Maybe they'll put in a "Janky Juice." :raz:

Well, I hope some naive yuppies buy it , and in turn some old fogies get to retire properly... or bailed their grandkids out of prison...

JOKE!

Where's everyones sense of humor gone today? It's silly and funny, only offensive if you want to make it that way, but overall harmless. Are we going to have to start debating ebonics on this chat?

Uh, I just think it is unimaginative and dumb.

Never said anything about it being offensive, buddy.

Jennifer

Where's everyones sense of humor gone today?  It's silly and funny, only offensive if you want to make it that way, but overall harmless.  Are we going to have to start debating ebonics on this chat?

Colorado Kitchen is smack dab in a diverse, sometimes violent and gentrifying neighborhood. Great location, as good food should not be limited to K St.

However, to use a name that mocks the speach patterns (and consequently perceived lack of education) of the (still) dominant ethnic group in that area is (at best) stupid and at worst offensive. It does not matter if the creator in question is black, its still an unwise choice. I can imagine plenty of racist jokes made around this store name (lets ride up to da hood and go to da store).

You say its harmless? Harmless to you? Probably. Harmless to the girl who walks by everyday on her way to school where she is unable to learn proper English in her overcrowded classroom? Not so sure its harmless to her.

Edited by DCMark (log)

Is it possible that the chef wants to start debate and get people talking and thinking- in that case she's succeeded

That's not necessarily a good business plan.

Bill Russell

Where's everyones sense of humor gone today?  It's silly and funny, only offensive if you want to make it that way, but overall harmless.  Are we going to have to start debating ebonics on this chat?

Uh, I just think it is unimaginative and dumb.

Never said anything about it being offensive, buddy.

Be dair some thraid on da Colorado Kitchen? As fah' as "dasto" be concerned, I

could care less about da damn name. Howeva', I haid-scratch (down low, from

some business puh'spective) if it be wise t' jimmey anotha' "foodie" shop wit'

all da Fresh Fields, Sutton Place an' Dain &Deluca alraidy in da house. Jus a thought so slap ma fro if I be wrong.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis