• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Times on Ferry Building Marketplace in SF

Artichoke

The LA Times wrote a piece today on San Francisco's Ferry Building Marketplace Ferry Building

I was there the day before Christmas and had the most sublime oyster experience in my life. As mentioned in the LA Times piece, Hog Island Oyster Company has an oyster bar in the Ferry Building. The space has a nice view of the harbor. The oysters are raised in Tomales Bay, which I believe is only 50 miles from San Francisco and taste as if they were freshly plucked from the water. My favorite was Hog Island's Belon style oyster, which they call French Hogs. They were the single best oyster I have ever eaten. If you like Belons, you will love these. They were unbelievably fresh, tasting of the ocean with a nice metallic finish.

The bar also has a very nice selection of white wines, many reasonably priced, to go along with the oysters.

After years of experimentation I can state unequivocally that Acme's rustic baguette is the only one worth eating in the Bay Area. :rolleyes:

There's a small bakery on college ave in rockridge that makes a rustic baguette as good or better than acme does but I can't for the life of me remember their name.

After years of experimentation I can state unequivocally that Acme's rustic baguette is the only one worth eating in the Bay Area. :rolleyes:

There's a small bakery on college ave in rockridge that makes a rustic baguette as good or better than acme does but I can't for the life of me remember their name.

Do you remember approximately where it is? I've seen some pretty good bread at a bakery in Market Hall next to Oliveto...

But there are quite a few bakeries in the neighborhood.

They were unbelievably fresh, tasting of the ocean with a nice metallic finish.

I've never liked raw oysters because they remind me of getting wiped out on my surfboard (okay, boogie board) and taking an unwanted mouthful of seawater. But seawater with a "nice metallic finish?" Ye cats!

I've never liked raw oysters because they remind me of getting wiped out on my surfboard (okay, boogie board) and taking an unwanted mouthful of seawater. But seawater with a "nice metallic finish?" Ye cats!

Ahaha! You and your Dirty Harryesque opinions never fail to crack me up, for some reason.

Seriously, to each his own. For instance, some people, and I am not one of these people so don't yell at me, think that jook tastes like warm snot. Not being a snot eater, I'm afraid I can't corroborate this one.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Ahaha!  You and your Dirty Harryesque opinions never fail to crack me up, for some reason. 

Seriously, to each his own.  For instance, some people, and I am not one of these people so don't yell at me, think that jook tastes like warm snot.  Not being a snot eater, I'm afraid I can't corroborate this one.

I'm not a snot eater (at least since I was a kid) either, but I imagine cold snot would taste like raw oysters.

Gotcha!

mmmm...the thought of that acme bread brings back such memories when i was at berkeley...that raisin cinnamon bread is heavenly....i havent found anything even close to it in new york....and yes the rustic as well....who said that man cant eat on bread alone?