• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pac NW eGulleter Needs Advice

LEdlund

The L.A. Times did a whole slew of stories on Paso Robles this week. Check out the digest in the pinned section above, for story summaries, and a username and password to log into the site.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

And yes, both pronunciations are in use, but we can tell how long you've lived here or whether you're a first time visitor by how you say it.  :raz:

So, spill the beans, already!

My theory is that if their are dueling pronunciations of a place name derived from a foreign language, the locals most likely use the less "correct" pronunciation. If not, there would be no contention. It's the outsiders who rely on models.

It's Paso RoBULLS, San PEEdro, TuLAYre, St. HelEEna, etc.

Melkor, did I miss your visit?  Were you incognito or did our attendant Jake take care of you? 

We asked for you but you weren't there - so we will have to catch you another time. Your staff took good care of us in your absence, though, and the story of the dog is amazing!

allison