• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Philosophy

Do you have a 'food philosophy'? What is it and how do you use it?

Only the best

Only the freshest

Organic

Finest

Extravagent

Exceptional

Most talented chefs

Creativity

Simplicity

Balance

Art

Chemistry

Molecular compatability

Interactivity

Memory

Fun

Architectural

Metaphycical

Here are some interesting examples

http://trio-restaurant.com/cuisine/philosophy/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/poshnosh/philosophy/simon.shtml

http://www.yogajournal.com/food/toc_1.cfm

http://www.philosophynow.org/archive/articles/31iggers.htm

http://www.clifbar.com/eat/foodPhilosophy.cfm?location=mojo

Chemistry

Molecular compatability

To quote my damaging former English Professor, "Eh?"

I'm curious what you are meaning by molecular compatibility. When I read it I think "botulinum toxin is incompatible" I hope there are nuances that I am drastically missing.

I'm curious about chemistry, too. Not that food isn't chemistry, but, again with the missed nuances...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

mine's definitely got to be use the best quality ingredients that haven't been messed with by man too much.

and support those who create those ingredients so one day frankenfoods will go away.

Mine is, "food is love." Cooking and baking are how I show someone I love him or her.

Even though I have dated several men and have even been divorced once, the only man for whom I have ever baked a pie is my husband; I like that.

When I let myself enjoy good food, I'm loving myself.

Mine is, "food is love." Cooking and baking are how I show someone I love him or her.

Even though I have dated several men and have even been divorced once, the only man for whom I have ever baked a pie is my husband; I like that.

The only man for whom I have ever baked a pie is my Dad. It was a black bottom pie and took all damn day to bake. Don't know why this means something, but it does.

Also, I would never feed my family out of a box.

Even those who don't live in Southern California can make delicious food. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I will eat nothing that is still moving, no insects even if they've stopped moving and politely refuse any food that's charred beyond recognition. Apart from that I try not to rule out anything until I've tried it. In some cases that means more than once. I finally tried Indian food that I really truly enjoyed after being underwhelmed by it on a dozen or more occasions. I have yet to try Korean food that made me yearn to try it again but there's always hope.

Food is a universal language, talk about food can cross all barriers, sharing of food can make friends of enemies and can open doors that would be otherwise closed.

One need not speak the language to enjoy the food of another country. A smile and gestures can convey delight. People are generous with their knowledge about food when you show interest.

There have been times I have been moved to tears when I have tasted perfection in a dish.

I have tried to do as well myself and continually fall short but the striving is the important thing.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The only man for whom I have ever baked a pie is my Dad. It was a black bottom pie and took all damn day to bake. Don't know why this means something, but it does.

Also, I would never feed my family out of a box.

:unsure: Must be something about pies. I remember baking a really nice apple one for the man I was married to. Started walking towards him with it and the thing literally flew up out of my hands all by itself and landed upside down on the floor.

Should have realized the import of that and divorced him right then rather than too many years later! :laugh:

I will not "waste" my calories. I have to at least really LIKE what I am eating (be it a hot dog or a 5 * meal), otherwise I consider it using up my calories for nothing.

Put your heart and soul in to your cooking, be true to and respect the ingredients and from where they have come. In short...

BE THE FOOD!

Edited by TJHarris (log)

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.