• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom Tomato Farmer

Susan Houston of the Raleigh News & Observer wrote a story this morning about my friend, Jim Currin (Click here for the article). Jim is an heirloom tomato farmer -- 10 of his 17 acres are covered with heirloom tomato plants. He started doing this last year when his health started to decline because of a chronic heart condition. I first tasted Jim's tomatoes at the NC Farmers Market and couldn't get enough of them. I bought 40 pounds of them for my pig pickin, and what I didn't know at the time was Jim was then recovering from a heart transplant. No, not just open heart surgery, but he had a new heart pumping inside of him. Wow. He returned to his family's roots of farming because he felt that it was the right thing to do at age 59.

Ever since, I've been one of Jim Currin's biggest fans. And I like his tomatoes, too -- all 20 varieties of the heirlooms he's growing (he also grows heirloom corn, potatoes, squash, melons and other vegetables). I've been trying to get restaurants, distributors and others to take notice of his wonderful product. My interests here are entirely selfish: the more tomatoes he sells, the more likely he'll continue to grow them, giving me a place to buy these delicious suckers each summer.

So, if you want some great heirloom tomatoes, look for Jim at the NC Farmers Market, or just call him. I've got his number, but I'm sure you can look it up in the Oxford, NC directory. And remember, this guy's heart may not be the one he was born with, but it's twice as large as mine!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Thank you for bringing this article on heirloom tomatoes to our attention, Dean! I find myself most impressed with the logic displayed by Jim Currin, especially when he says that he would not grow tobacco because that had been responsible for health problems in his personal life as well in as in the lives of many others. And I have now gotten very desirous of checking out different types of heirloom tomatoes here locally, since his won't be offered this far south ..

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks for linking, Varmint.

That Noir de Crimee tomato is the blackest tomato I've ever seen. (any chance you could get one and send me some seeds?)

I'm going to send the link to Gary Ibsen, our neighbor in Carmel who every year does the Tomato Festival.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Varmint,

Thanks for posting. The fruits of Jim Currin's labors are a real treasure.

For those in other parts of the Triangle that might not be able to get to the State Farmers Market in Raleigh, the Carrboro farmers' market also has a fine selection of heirloom tomatoes as well, mostly all organically grown.

NIce article Dean. I spent last weekend in Charlotte (where I plan to be living by 2005) and we wandered out to Matthews on Friday afternoon in search of some Italian goods. Regrettably, the Domenic's Italian food store adjacent to the Matthews Farmer's Market is now permanently closed but in researching the Farmer's Market I discovered that heirloom tomatoes are a big deal around there.

Tomato Joe

sells there and at a few other area markets - they are based in that area. Of great interest to many is the fact that they now sell both seed and seedlings for many heirloom varieties and ship by mail anywhere in the US. Although we were travelign on saturday and not able to attend the market this time, we did have some outstanding yellow and red tomatoes from a local farmstand along with some mediocre fresh mozzarella from Harris-Teeter. Made a pretty passable tomato and mozzarella sald for Saturday's dinner when we visited friends.

Thanks for sharing Jim's story with us.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That Noir de Crimee tomato is the blackest tomato I've ever seen. (any chance you could get one and send me some seeds?)

I'm going to send the link to Gary Ibsen, our neighbor in Carmel who every year does the Tomato Festival.

Noir de Crimee seeds and plants are widely available in California, tanabutler. If you can't find it, some of the reputable mail order catalogs have it, for less than it would cost to ship a tomato.

It's supposed to be the same as Black Krim but somehow Noir de Crimee gets more taste raves. I personally think it tastes better than Black Krim.

Great story. Nice to see a farmer getting recognition.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Wow! $2 a lb for heirlooms! Up here they run about $3.10 a lb.

Excellent story, thanks for sharing.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Noir de Crimee seeds and plants are widely available in California, tanabutler. If you can't find it, some of the reputable mail order catalogs have it, for less than it would cost to ship a tomato.

It's supposed to be the same as Black Krim but somehow Noir de Crimee gets more taste raves. I personally think it tastes better than Black Krim.

Great story. Nice to see a farmer getting recognition.

Thanks, I will look for them. Black Krim is my absolute favorite tomato.

I didn't mean for Varmint to ship me a tomato: you put the seeds on a paper towel and let them dry, and keep them that way.

I once Fed Exed a box of heirlooms to my sister in Georgia, but they didn't get delivered on Saturday and the box was tomato soup when she opened it. :shock:

I bought Happy Boy Farms heirloom tomatoes at the Capitola farmers market today, $2/pound.

Susan Houston of the Raleigh News & Observer wrote a story this morning about my friend, Jim Currin (Click here for the article). Jim is an heirloom tomato farmer -- 10 of his 17 acres are covered with heirloom tomato plants. He started doing this last year when his health started to decline because of a chronic heart condition. I first tasted Jim's tomatoes at the NC Farmers Market and couldn't get enough of them. I bought 40 pounds of them for my pig pickin, and what I didn't know at the time was Jim was then recovering from a heart transplant. No, not just open heart surgery, but he had a new heart pumping inside of him. Wow. He returned to his family's roots of farming because he felt that it was the right thing to do at age 59.

Ever since, I've been one of Jim Currin's biggest fans. And I like his tomatoes, too -- all 20 varieties of the heirlooms he's growing (he also grows heirloom corn, potatoes, squash, melons and other vegetables). I've been trying to get restaurants, distributors and others to take notice of his wonderful product. My interests here are entirely selfish: the more tomatoes he sells, the more likely he'll continue to grow them, giving me a place to buy these delicious suckers each summer.

So, if you want some great heirloom tomatoes, look for Jim at the NC Farmers Market, or just call him. I've got his number, but I'm sure you can look it up in the Oxford, NC directory. And remember, this guy's heart may not be the one he was born with, but it's twice as large as mine!

I live in SW Durham and have just discovered Tiny Farms, on the southern edge of Durham County.

I placed my first order last week and visited the farm to pick up the produce. I was given a tour of the farm by the owner, Mark Hockney.

Part of my order were heirloom tomatoes. I asked for some Mortgage Lifters but Mark also suggested I try the lemon tomato, Brandywine tomatoes too.

The Mortgage Lifters were out of this world (compared to store bought or even homegrown non-heirlooms). I wasn't so keen on the yellow lemon tomato- a little too tart for me.

I also enjoyed eating Sungold tomatoes again. Mark was picking those straight off the bush for me to try.

In fact, Mark picked my order only about an hour before arrived. Can't get much fresher than that!

Tiny Farm also has a lot of other fresh, farm grown produce but the tomatoes are porbably my favorite.

• 1 year later...

Jim Currin's health is pretty good, but the weather has been sucky. Consequently, he won't be selling any tomatoes this summer, which is very sad. Ever the optimist, he told me to wait for next year. Sounds like a Chicago Cubs fan to me! :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 3 weeks later...

Many of hour heirloom suppliers are holding fast to $3.50-$4.00/lb this year...in years past they would have halved that by now. Good for them but painful for me!

For a fabulous array of heirloom seeds, transplants and info (and to support a very important initiative!), visit Seed Savers, in Decorah IA, Madison WI or online:

http://www.seedsavers.org/

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher