• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Count the health code violations

King County restaurant inspectors didn't want to give us this public record. (A CD-ROM disc.) Finally, a call from our lawyer did the trick.

It's a computer database filled with nearly 50,000 public health inspections at area diners, food stands and four-star restaurants.

Hi Alex, welcome to Egullet. You know, I should either work for KIRO or become their lawyer because this information is online. :cool:

Click this link.

Enter a business name. (Enter, for example, Saigon Deli.)

(Optional) To limit search, enter the street name, city, or zip code. (Enter Jackson.)

Click the Search button.

Here anyone can find comments regarding the infractions at this restaurant including:

-Food workers not washing hands after coughing, sneezing, or otherwise contaminating hands.

-Food contact surfaces not maintained, cleaned, sanitized.

-Dishwashing: no sanitizer, improper temperature, incorrect technique.

-Improper hot holding of potentially hazardous foods because of poor equipment design or maintenance, or not being operated correctly (129 degrees F and below).

-Raw meats, poultry, aquatic foods stored above ready-to-eat foods. Pooling of eggs.

-Drinking ice not made with water from an approved source.

-Floors, walls, ceiling improperly installed, maintained, cleaned.

And here you'll find restaurant closures due to health code violations. Hope we don't see something we've frequented. :huh:

To give KIRO credit, the Web site doesn't have a search function to find the most infractions.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I just got my food handler's permit last week, after a short lecture and a couple of videos before the test. The instructor's take-home message: "It's NOT OK to kill your customers!" He did mention the county website.

Click this link.

much appc'd for posting this link. i was looking for my old bookmark to it, now vanished into the sands of internet time.

while i'm all about hyping a story, i'm sort of stunned at how clueless the KIRO report is, given that it's pretty common knowledge among food-safety types that the KC health violations have been online for years. "i, KIRO, will fight for you!!" sigh.

incidentally, it's worth checking some of the highbrow and lowbrow establishments around. Dick's on Broadway for years has had a near perfect record, though their most recent inspection took a bit of a dive. (only 10 points, though.) Lark, meantime, got 73 points on their first inspection. Wild Ginger has a cumulative of 106, though the cumulative tally is a bit of a dodge, since violations can be fixed for good, or can slip. hence spot checks. (though spot checks have a gazillion shortfalls, too.)

of course, i've eaten at almost every establishment atop KIRO's list.

WHERE can I find this sort of site for Multnomah County (PDX), Oregon??????

How could you miss it? :smile:

I went to Google and typed Multnomah County Oregon Health Department

First hit shows Multnomah County Health Department.

Under Health Department Services, click Food Establishment Inspections.

Took longer to type this up than it did to find it. :hmmm:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

"It's NOT OK to kill your customers!"

Funny, Harry Mills said the exact same thing in my charcuterie class.

Drink!

my charcuterie class.

just curious: which charcuterie class? i know of one in Seattle at Culinary Communion. are there others?

It was a 4th quarter class at The Art Institute of Seattle's Culinary Arts program. The program is 7 11-week quarters and goes for 21 months.

We made:

• Bacon
  • Prosciutto
  • Pastrami
  • Pepperoni
  • Rabbit Pâté en Croute
  • Campagne Terrine with Liver
  • Duck confit on Orange Crackers
  • Smoked Duck Breast with Orange Sauce
  • Terrine of Pork Rillette
  • Chicken Galantine with Breast Garnish

Drink!