• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On the halfshell and waiting, waiting....

bobmac

While ordering osyters on the halfshell at a series of SF seafood stands, I spurned all those that had been pre-opened on the theory that every second shellfish sits open the flavor deteriorates. Am I right or was I being picky?

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Tough one. I can see if it had been open for 30 minutes or an hour...but a few minutes. I dunno.

Any-one

Any-one

Bueller

Bueller

Bueller

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

It depends on the place. If they are doing so much volume that turnover is very high, I wouldn't be too concerned. However, if you don't see anyone elese ordering oysters....

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I wanna see em opened up. The exception is that when I am at the bar and the guy is staying a tray or two ahead of the slurpers (like at Aceme, Felix's, or Casamento's in N.O.

I never order them in a strange place while I was sitting them in a dining room unless I knew, FOR SURE, that they had not been sitting in a walkin somehwhere. Oysters are already a little dicey, even if perfect, and since they are basically growth culture looking for a catalyst, I prefer to get them from the shell to to my mouth as quickly as possible.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Soooo, maybe this goes under one of the obsurdly stupid questions threads, but,    if they are not open when you get them- how do you get them open to eat them?

Several options for opening bivalves

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

One basically prefers to see them opened in front of you. If not possible, a good indication is how moist the oysters are. They should be very moist with a lot of juice in the shell. A dry oyster is a bad thing.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I never order them in a strange place while I was sitting them in a dining room unless I knew, FOR SURE, that they had not been sitting in a walkin somehwhere. Oysters are already a little dicey, even if perfect, and since they are basically growth culture looking for a catalyst, I prefer to get them from the shell to to my mouth as quickly as possible.

The only time in my life I've ever gotten food poisining was from bad raw oysters. It was a truly hellish experience I hope never to repeat. Ate them at lunch and then had a dinner of peanuts, draft beer, black coffee and B&B (I was young - what did I know from food and wine pairings?). My questionable dinner was followed by viewing The Deer Hunter on the big screen during its original theatrical release. That movie is long enough as it stands but my developing symptoms made it seem like a marathon.

I didn't start eating raw oysters again until a trip to Seattle a few years ago and now include them on any trip to Seattle but they're so darn fresh in that area that I've never been concerned.

One basically prefers to see them opened in front of you. If not possible, a good indication is how moist the oysters are. They should be very moist with a lot of juice in the shell. A dry oyster is a bad thing.

OTOH: an oyster wet from rinsing is also to be avoided. It may be less crunchy, but all the lovely juices have slipped down the drain, instead of your throat. :sad:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I was a oyster/clam shucker for three years. When we got slammed, people didn't seem to mind waiting when I was backed up cuz when super-fresh, they are worth waiting for. The owner was absolutely against pre-opening any shelfish in spite of my whining, so I learned some tricks and cut the shuck-time in half.

I went to a place here in Portland ME and was horrified to see several dozen open oysters sitting on a bed of slush, picking up the kitchen smell and cigarettes. Our party ordered some anyway and they were putrid. I was so pissed off I opened my own oyster bar on a lobster boat for the summer months. :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

While ordering osyters on the halfshell at a series of SF seafood stands, I spurned all those that had been pre-opened on the theory that every second shellfish sits open the flavor deteriorates. Am I right or was I being picky?

I don't get around all that much - but I don't recall ever seeing a "pre-opened" oyster. You mean they were all open already - and then served to you? Sounds yucky to me. When you order shellfish (clams - oysters - whatever) - you want them live - tight shells - opened immediately before serving. I don't think you're being picky at all. Robyn

I don't get around all that much - but I don't recall ever seeing a "pre-opened" oyster. You mean they were all open already - and then served to you?

:blink: They all would be "pre-opened" for you, yes? Unless you're at an oyster bar like The Union Oyster House in Boston, where they show off and do it front of your face....so to speak. You assume fresh oysters are shucked in the kitchen, and brought barely quivering to your table. Want them fresher than that and you'd better follow the waitress to the kitchen and suck 'em as they're shucked and forget the plating! :hmmm: Yah wanna shuck your own??

I don't get around all that much - but I don't recall ever seeing a "pre-opened" oyster. You mean they were all open already - and then served to you? Sounds yucky to me. When you order shellfish (clams - oysters - whatever) - you want them live - tight shells - opened immediately before serving. I don't think you're being picky at all. Robyn

even the Oyster Bar, in that horrible place called "new york city", shucks nonstop during busy hours, and you'll get "pre-shucked". strange to some, but true. shocker, i'm sure.

I guess I always eat oysters when I'm sitting at "bars" - and they're always opened in front of me. Every place from Harrod's in London to Felix's in New Orleans. I must have led a sheltered life :wink: . Robyn

I must have led a sheltered life  :wink: .  Robyn

if you haven't had oysters at the Oyster Bar, then yeah, probably, some might say that.

The Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station? Have done that - but lifetimes ago.

Also oysters at the Plaza - again lifetimes ago (people were smoking cigars :shock: ). Robyn

oysters absolutely must be opened a la minute, per order, or not ordered, IMHO. :smile:

it's the same reason i don't order mussels in restaurants unless i see heavy turnover. i can get cultivated mussels for 2$ a lb., or Malpeque oysters for about 5$ a lb, and don't feel like eating some room-temperature, dry specimen that's been sitting on ice waiting for a hapless guest. :biggrin:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

if you haven't had oysters at the Oyster Bar, then yeah, probably, some might say that.

Also oysters at the Plaza - again lifetimes ago (people were smoking cigars :shock: ). Robyn

Grand Central Station is a post office. I didn't know you could eat oysters there.

Tough one.  I can see if it had been open for 30 minutes or an hour...but a few minutes.  I dunno. 

Any-one

Any-one

Bueller

Bueller

Bueller

OT....but thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

Uh...

Help?

What means this?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Tough one.  I can see if it had been open for 30 minutes or an hour...but a few minutes.  I dunno. 

Any-one

Any-one

Bueller

Bueller

Bueller

OT....but thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

Uh...

Help?

What means this?

Oh! It's from the funny 80's movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". About a kid (Matthew Broderick) who plays hooky from school all day. His teacher is played by Ben Stein....who does roll call in class, only to find his student MIA.

Have a listen to "Bueller wav" :laugh:

Grand Central Station is a post office. I didn't know you could eat oysters there.

The restaurant seems to think it's in Grand Central Station (see location description). As someone from out of town - I suggest you take up any New York geography questions with its management. Robyn

I am unabashedly the most enthusiastic consumer of oysters that I know and here is my take:

Once that oyster has been opened, the clock starts ticking and that's a fact! If an oyster that is truly fresh is opened and then languishes on a bed of ice for even ten minutes, find another place!

The last 2 times I was at the Grand Central Oyster Bar, I placed my order for a dozen Blue Points and they were put in front of me within a minute and a half. That is a genuinely bad sign! It means that they have been sitting somewhere, open, waiting for you to order them and that is how they tasted. Probably the vast majority of the oysters I have had in my life have been eaten over the kitchen sink doused with sauce I made earlier and opened by yours truly. Once you get that up close and personal with the creature, you are both cursed and blessed. Cursed because you can't stand most of the oysters on the half shell sold to you and blessed because you have an alternative. Open them yourself!

As I have said many times before on this board, the one place I have had the absolute best oysters has been at the Union Oyster House in Boston, with this caveat: Get there at 11:30 AM when they open the doors. Make a bee-line to the dozen or so seats at the oyster bar itself and stand by for an oyster ephany. Those oysters are without peer. Don't even think about having them later in the dining room. I made that mistake once and my oysters had dried to crisp paper-like edges where they protruded from the shell, yuck!!!!!

The problem becomes evident if you sit at the bar when it opens. The guys opening them, stockpile them for later in the day against the wall. No thanks!

Cheers,

HC

I guess I always eat oysters when I'm sitting at "bars" - and they're always opened in front of me. Every place from Harrod's in London to Felix's in New Orleans. I must have led a sheltered life :wink: . Robyn

I believe I may have once been "done in" as Eliza Dolittle might have said, by Harrod's oysters. They were somewhat less than chilled. As someone mentioned in another thread, it's really for tourists (which I was). Very sick. Hallucinations. Of course it could have been a street-vendor hot dog. The BBC later did an expose on them.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo