• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Funny Cheese Names

While reading Balmagowry's comment this thread about stinky cheese, I realize there are some hilarious cheese names out there.

Balmagowry laughed at Hooligan as being almost as funny as Stinking Bishop.

My favorite is Lamb Chopper.

What are some others?

What do you call cheese that doesn't belong to you? Nacho cheese!!! ... :laugh:

Okay, seriously, or not so seriously, there is Drunken Goat from Spain:

From the village of Jumilla in the Murcia region of Spain, Drunken Goat is a semi-soft artisan goat cheese with a smooth violet rind which has been soaked in Doble Pasta wine for 48-72 hrs. Aged about 75 days, it has a sweet, smooth flavor. This is a very difficult cheese to find.

better?? :rolleyes:

and then there are some German varieties of sour curd cheeses, like Harz and Mainz... which sounds like a burlesque comedy team ... :wink:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I don't know if it qualifies as a "funny" name, but I just loooove to say:

BEEEEEEEEEMSTER!

Unfortunately, it's been banned from the house, as that's how I say it every time I see it.

I open the fridge. . ."BEEEEEEMSTER!"

From the other side of the house. . ."SHUT UP ABOUT THE CHEESE ALREADY!!!!"

:biggrin:

Diana

I think "Quark" is a very odd name for cheese. However in German it means "curd" so that makes sense.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Slack Ma Girdle! Dorset Blue Vinyl! Stinkin' Bishop!

All ver' fiiiine cheese!

I'm very fond of Quark. Wouldn't it be fun if it was like TV margarine... open the lid of a morning, and "quarkquarkquarkquark!" No, I'm not having ducks for breakfast.

I think "Quark" is a very odd name for cheese. However in German it means "curd" so that makes sense.

I can't hear "Quark" without thinking of the Star Trek DS9 bar-keep... (he was a Ferengi named Quark).

What do you call cheese that doesn't belong to you? Nacho cheese!!! ... :laugh:

This is how lame I am. This is a transcript of the cognitive processes that took about seven seconds before the "Aha" moment. It might have to do with accents (I'm English/Canadian though I've lived throughout Europe and even Africa). But still.

Nacho cheese?

Um...

Why?

Someone else's cheese? Whose?

Uh...

Because...

Nacho cheese.

Oh.

"Not your cheese."

Na cho cheese.

Natchyour .... cheese.

Oh. I get it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

and then there are some German varieties of sour curd cheeses, like Harz and Mainz... which sounds like a burlesque comedy team ... :wink:

Actually, these are names of cities in Germany.

I think Cypress Grove has some pretty interesting names, including Purple Haze, Bermuda Triangle, and Fromage a Trois. That's in additon to the one you mentioned, Lamb Chopper.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Actually, these are names of cities in Germany.

I think Cypress Grove has some pretty interesting names, including Purple Haze, Bermuda Triangle, and Fromage a Trois. That's in additon to the one you mentioned, Lamb Chopper.

I had never looked at their website before -- thank you! I didn't realize they were the ones making my beloved Lamb Chopper (a favorite of mine that I buy whenever I hit the Ferry Building).

Their Pee Wee Pyramid is pretty funny too!

Quark always makes me think of Quark XPress, but that's just the graphic designer in me.

Tete de moine - "monk's head" is another good one.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Maytag blue cheese always makes me think of dishwashers.

Well, it is the same family.

And Fritz Maytag (also the same family) runs Anchor Brewing Company (here in SF, and kittycorner from where I work -- ahhh, the smells on brewing day... :rolleyes:)

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I think "Quark" is a very odd name for cheese.  However in German it means "curd" so that makes sense.

I can't hear "Quark" without thinking of the Star Trek DS9 bar-keep... (he was a Ferengi named Quark).

I remember Quark. He did always look a little cheesey to me. :biggrin:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Actually "brick" cheese always seemed a rather odd name. During the few years I lived in Wisconsin, in my mid teens, I thought it was because it was generally shaped like a brick when you saw it in stores. However the story now is that it had to be pressed between bricks for the right texture to develop.

and what is this Virgin Pine Native Blue?

Does this sound like a cheese? Well it is, and a very nice one too. Not a typical blue cheese but actually

a blue veined cheddar.

And then there is Cojack, obviously a combinaton of Colby and Jack. Why don't they call it JackCo instead.

And the Finnish cheese Juustoleipa (hoo-stah-lee-pah) which means bread cheese. Not because you put it on bread but because it is baked like bread and has an edible crust that looks like bread.

Someone gifted me with a carton of "Neil's Squeeky Cheese" last Christmas. For some reason I thought of mice (squeeky) when I saw the name. However it is actually fresh, slightly dry, cheese curds that squeek when you bite into them. Not a lot of flavor but okay for something different. The low carb people should love them.