• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How the French manage to stay slim..the secret?

the article from the BBC

Despite a diet heavy on foie gras, creamy sauces and cheese, just 11% of French adults are obese compared with 22% in Britain and a whopping third of Americans. The French live longer, too, and have lower death rates from heart disease.

So, if it isn't in the wine, as we were originally led to believe, what then? :rolleyes:

the secret is all in the portion size. "French cuisine is made up of very small portion sizes, so even if we serve you seven courses, you won't feel bloated, and it's the equivalent of maybe two courses in other places."

Aha! This is a marvelous article ... but believable? peut etre ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It's actually true.  The French have the second-lowest rate of heart disease in the world, behind Japan.  It's called "The French Paradox".

Laura Fraser's Salon article replete with the various theories on the "French paradox" which include a garlic-onion, red wine, olive oil etc. "solutions" to explain the theory ... interesting indeed!! :biggrin:

More than anything, Claude Fischler thinks the French Paradox is a kind of cultural Rorschach test. "Americans think it's unfair, and Francophiles think it's wonderful."

:laugh: Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

I asked my French boyfriend this question, he told me, the key is the french eat evenly all different types of food, they don't eat just eat a few types, or large quantity of meat as compared to US, for example. They don't drink as much wine as usually people believed and foie gras is only for special occasions. And they are very discipline in eating, they don't snack a lot outside normal meals. And believe me, oridinary french doesn't eat a 7 course meal everyday too.

But actually the BBC and Salon articles give all the answers already.

People in European countries like France and Italy walk a great deal more than Americans. No-one should overlook that factor.

Michael aka "Pan"

We need to capitalize on this. The eGullet diet plan. Wander around a lot, preferably in search of the finest ingredients, smoke whenever possible, drink wine, nibble a wide variety of very small but tasty rich treats and voilà, you're thin! I also think spending the entire month of August swimming in the Mediterranean and having sex might be necessary.

Hmmm, being led by a guy named Fat Guy might be a marketing problem though... maybe he can carry a pair of big pants to publicity events and become Monsieur formerly known as Fat Guy?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

We need to capitalize on this. The eGullet diet plan. Wander around a lot, preferably in search of the finest ingredients, smoke whenever possible, drink wine, nibble a wide variety of very small but tasty rich treats and voilà, you're thin! I also think spending the entire month of August swimming in the Mediterranean and having sex might be necessary.

Hmmm, being led by a guy named Fat Guy might be a marketing problem though... maybe he can carry a pair of big pants to publicity events and become Monsieur formerly known as Fat Guy?

He could be Guy Le Fatte.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I also think that in France people eat real food, as opposed to pre-packaged, ready-made junk. You don't really see diet food, low-fat, no-fat, and certainly no low-carb products in France. I think the key is that people eat fresh food that they prepare themselves and don't worry about it so much.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I agree with Felice. No pre-packaged - or less of it than americans. And they DONT SNACK!! In Paris you eat a real lunch and a real dinner - and you take your time with it. You don't grab a sandwich and feel hungry at 4pm. If you look on any french restaurant/cafe/brasserie's lunch menu you'll see most meals are loaded with protein...fish, chicken, meat....which results in slower digestion and less of that hungry feeling after. Also, I'd bet that the amazing amount of coffee they drink helps to cut the appetite...one after lunch, one in the afternoon....and you're good to go!

I have never gained weight from a Paris trip....and Ihave dined at all the Michelin starred restaurants.

They eat leisurely, no grabbing a fast food something on the run...small portions and a healthy choice of food items. They have no big secrets about it.

I agree with Felice. No pre-packaged - or less of it than americans. And they DONT SNACK!!

I will have to admit being the Ugly American on my first visit to Paris when I was a student. I quickly came to realize Parisians didn't walk around eating in the street, but it didn't stop my compulsion to walk into almost every patisserie and eat whatever I bought while walking away from the shop. I wish I had the metabolism now that I had then. :biggrin:

The thing about pastry shops in Paris is that they're all over the place. Irrisistable treats are very accessible. The French are very strong willed.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

We need to capitalize on this.  The eGullet diet plan.  Wander around a lot, preferably in search of the finest ingredients, smoke whenever possible, drink wine, nibble a wide variety of very small but tasty rich treats and voilà, you're thin!  I also think spending the entire month of August swimming in the Mediterranean and having sex might be necessary.

See: Tony Bourdain

I agree with Felice. No pre-packaged - or less of it than americans. And they DONT SNACK!! In Paris you eat a real lunch and a real dinner - and you take your time with it. You don't grab a sandwich and feel hungry at 4pm. If you look on any french restaurant/cafe/brasserie's lunch menu you'll see most meals are loaded with protein...fish, chicken, meat....which results in slower digestion and less of that hungry feeling after. Also, I'd bet that the amazing amount of coffee they drink helps to cut the appetite...one after lunch, one in the afternoon....and you're good to go!

They do actually -- many people have a little cake at about 4pm. They eat lunch quite early and dinner quite late so you need something. But apart from that, they don't snack!

many valid points but the fact that they eat for pleasure and not by neccesity might contribute to their long lives...

Just a moment please, the French don't eat by necessity? Is there something superhuman about them that we need to better comprehend?? :rolleyes:

I think the interesting aspect of this article is that -- in an age when people are spending millions (billions?) on elaborate diet aids, how-too books, speed substitutes and pre-measured microwave dinners -- the French are staying thin by doing what mom told them to do: eating right, and getting some exercise. Talk about anti-American! :laugh:

BTW, put me on the mailing list for that Mediterranean diet plan -- screw South Beach -- we're going on the South of France diet!

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.