• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum and Coke

Ed Hamilton

Before you throw your old monitor at me, I know most of the people viewing this forum enjoy more than rum and Coke. But, when I heard this I had to mention it.

In Australia you have been able to buy rum and Coke mixed in aluminum cans with pop tops. But recently Bundy, the larger rum purveyor down under is offering customers rum and coke, on tap.

Market acceptance is reported to be good, but there is a slight problem of bartenders serving glasses that are bigger than the standard drink which is about 30ml of 80 proof alcohol and then patrons drinking too much.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I am a huge fan of rum and cokes on a hot evening. Putting it in cans would have made life a lot easier back in my undergrad days :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I had a canned rum and coke in New Orleans back in 1994 or 95. Didn't stop talking about it for weeks.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

One time I had a canned Vanilla Coke and I didn't stop talking about it for weeks.

Probably for different reasons, though.....

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Market acceptance is reported to be good, but there is a slight problem of bartenders serving glasses that are bigger than the standard drink which is about 30ml of 80 proof alcohol and then patrons drinking too much.

Can't see why it shouldn't be popular - can you imagine the UK government outcry if this or some alcopop ended up on tap :smile:

Ed, do you know the actual strenght of the rum/coke mix. Does it work out at about 5% like normal beer?

As best as I could determine, the packaged rum and coke was packaged at the strength that you would mix a cocktail. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I think this is stronger than beer. Good question.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

One thing I find interesting about this is the ease of public consumption. Something about the iconography and color schemes makes them look just like a carbonated beverage. No need to hide the 40 in a brown bag or surreptitiously sip hobo-shots from a flask. From Australia we've got wine or rum and coke in cans ... from Brazil I've seen Pina Coladas and other tropical drinks in "Capri Sun"-ish metallic pouches with a built in plastic spout rather than a straw. They are 10 - 12 ounces, sell for about $2 (in America - much cheaper in Brazil, I'm sure), and run somewhere in the 20 - 30 percent alcohol range. Quite a punch for kids at the beach.

They're not stirring up the controversy that came with wine coolers, but I wonder if we'll eventually see litigation about marketing to children similar to what we saw with tobacco.

rien

from Brazil I've seen Pina Coladas and other tropical drinks in "Capri Sun"-ish metallic pouches with a built in plastic spout rather than a straw. They are 10 - 12 ounces, sell for about $2 (in America - much cheaper in Brazil, I'm sure), and run somewhere in the 20 - 30 percent alcohol range. Quite a punch for kids at the beach.

They're not stirring up the controversy that came with wine coolers, but I wonder if we'll eventually see litigation about marketing to children similar to what we saw with tobacco.

Are these being sold in the states? I'm not much for government intervention but considering that liquor bottles can't look like soda bottles I'm surprised if these are sold in the states.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

As best as I could determine, the packaged rum and coke was packaged at the strength that you would mix a cocktail. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I think this is stronger than beer. Good question.

There are a lot of pre-mixed drinks out and about: Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezers, Pimms, Gin&Tonic etc and these are usually all at about 5%.

There could be a problem (well at least to my taste buds) with a 5% rum and coke. I don't like rum & coke at the best of times as it is too sweet. If I have to drink it, I make sure that the predominant taste is rum so usually end up with a 50:50 mix (or more) which would be at least about 20% alc/vol!

Are these being sold in the states? I'm not much for government intervention but considering that liquor bottles can't look like soda bottles I'm surprised if these are sold in the states.

They are sold in the states. At least they were. I bought one on clearance sale - thought it was so ridiculous that I had to try it. Maybe they wer clearing out inventory since it was not acceptable for sale in the U.S.

I was wrong about the alcohol percentage though - they're actually only 6%. Significantly less bang for the buck ... but frozen to a slushy consistency, they're an acceptable drink for smuggling to a a beach or park ... not that I would advocate that kind of deviant behavior.

In my opinion, the cans for Aussie Wine looks quite a bit like a soda can ... even more like an "energy" beverage.

rien

Maybe they were clearing out inventory since it was not acceptable for sale in the U.S.

Maybe it didn't meet consumer demand expectations, but if it wasn't acceptable for sale the Treasury department wouldn't allow them to be sold. For your security.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I was under the impression that bacardi bottled beverages in the US and Smirnoff Ice were MALT beverages not liquor mixed with mixer.

You have to go north or south of the border for those.. (v popular in Canada)

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I would be surprised if Bacardi was bottling malt beverages since their biggest alcohol source is molasses. Smirnoff, on the other hand, is another matter. according to the Smirnoff website SMIRNOFF ICE™ and SMIRNOFF ICE TRIPLE BLACK™ have a vodka base except in the US where premium malt is used in the mix.)

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Well, this is as good a place as any for one of my more amusing true anecdotes. At a bodega in NYC one of my friends was buying Smirnoff Ice (against my wishes--i mean why did everyone mock Zima but embrace the current wave of lemon-lime malt beverage? we'll never know). A general hanger on at the bodega noticed us ladies' choice and helpfully informed us, "yeah, that shit is good, but it is so sour it upsets my stomach. I gotta water it down with vodka." We kept that in mind.

As someone who doesn't drink any of the colas, there would have to be a pretty big payoff. And it would have to more than Bundy and something I wouldnt' drink in the first place.

But I thougth it was interesting that in some countries you can get liquor on tap.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

If they found a way to put rum,simple syrup,mint,fresh lime juice,and club soda on tap they would have to surgically remove me from it.

I was in a pub in London last night and they had Pimms on tap, so I really can't see why they could not have mojitos on tap.

PS Ed - I think that I have to agree with your sentiments about both colas and that Australian spirit which is called a rum.

As someone who doesn't drink any of the colas, there would have to be a pretty big payoff. And it would have to more than Bundy and something I wouldnt' drink in the first place.

But I thougth it was interesting that in some countries you can get liquor on tap.

back when th' drinkin' age was 18, the Army (& other military) had BEER machines side by side with Coke machines :cool:

I was in a pub in London last night and they had Pimms on tap, so I really can't see why they could not have mojitos on tap.

Pimms, the cocktail, as I recall is usually made from ingredients which are already bottled.

Whenever you deal with real lime juice and live mint leaves it just isn't going to stay fresh. These are living, growing plants that we are drinking. This is only one of the reasons flavored rums are usually so far from the mark. Some aren't bad for mixing in cocktails, but the only place I see real fruit rums on the shelf is in the French Islands. And yes, they look bad if they sit on the shelf too long. But there is nothing like real fruit and once you drink that, well, nothing else compares.

I've tried a number of bottled ti punches and none quite make it. Something about pasteurizing real lime doesn't quite translate into a good drink.

Nature can't be fooled, fresh is best.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 1 month later...
Pimms, the cocktail, as I recall is usually made from ingredients which are already bottled.

Whenever you deal with real lime juice and live mint leaves it just isn't going to stay fresh. These are living, growing plants that we are drinking. This is only one of the reasons flavored rums are usually so far from the mark. Some aren't bad for mixing in cocktails, but the only place I see real fruit rums on the shelf is in the French Islands. And yes, they look bad if they sit on the shelf too long. But there is nothing like real fruit and once you drink that, well, nothing else compares.

I've tried a number of bottled ti punches and none quite make it. Something about pasteurizing real lime doesn't quite translate into a good drink.

Nature can't be fooled, fresh is best.

We recently started buying in pasteurized lime and lemon juices into the bar to start using in cocktails instead of squeezing fresh lime and lemon juice because apparently it saved time.

The amount of complaints we got from using them in the various cocktails from our mojito's to margerita they lasted about two days and switched back to the fresh juices. It's just not worth it.