• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four hours in Paris

estherschindler

I'll be flying to London in early September. On 7 September, we'll take the train from London to Paris, arriving at about 5:30 or 6pm; we're booked on the night train to Munich, leaving at about 11pm. That gives me four hours to see -- and eat -- whatever I can in Paris.

I don't know how much difficulty to expect from carting around my suitcases. I've heard conflicting information about whether the Left Luggage options at the train stations are open, because of security concerns. (If anyone can tell me for sure, I'd be grateful.)

I already read the previous thread about options near the Gard du Nord, but I suspect there's more wisdom to be found. I don't necessarily need fine dining; something "just folks" that's quintessentially Paris would be just as satisfying. (The equivalent, in Arizona terms, would be a great chimichanga at a Mexican restaurant.)

Besides, is there ANYthing I could see -- other than a restaurant -- during the time available? (Is it reasonable to imagine taking a boat trip along the Seine?)

Le Train Bleu is in the Gare du Nord. I've eaten there twice and enjoyed both meals quite a bit, though others on this forum are less enthusiastic. It's hard to beat it for romantic atmosphere, though.

John Talbott mentioned recently in his digest that Pariscope had named it Best Brasserie.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Oh my, four hours.

I think you can still leave bags in left luggage at the GduN. Or give the hat check lady at the Terminus Nord 10E to keep.

About all you could do is go up the Funiculaire de Montmartre (get there by cab or 54 bus which runs up blvd Magenta) which, if it's a good day gives you a view of the Eiffel Tower, Seine, Notre Dame, Pompidou, etc and a quick walk over to Abbesses (avoid the top, Sacre Coeur, etc) to stroll along the markets on the Rue Lepic, seeing one windmill, and you could dine at Amelie's place La Mascotte, 52, rue des Abbesses 01.46.06.28.15 or La Famille 41 rue des Trois Frères 01 42 52 11 12 which I once loved and you'll need reservations for or Le Moulin de la Galette, 83, rue Lepic 01.46.06.84.77

Can't you miss your train to Munich.

And unfortunately, le Train Bleu is at the Gare de Lyon, quite a ways away. Nice paintings and spectacular setting but I disagree with picaman; food's deteriorated.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

And unfortunately, le Train Bleu is at the Gare de Lyon, quite a ways away. Nice paintings and spectacular setting but I disagree with picaman; food's deteriorated.

I haven't been there in maybe three years, so I'll defer to John for more current info. And indeed, I had the wrong station. My gare-ish mistake for the day.

:groan:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Chez Michel on rue de Belzunce just two or three blocks away from the Gare, may be too expensive for a couple of students, but I thought it was pretty inexpensive, yet satisfying. It struck me as very Parisian, although a bit too well known these days. I don't know what I'd recommend to do in an hour or two. I'd be happy to just walk around, but in some more interesting neighborhood than around the Gare du Nord. You won't really have time for a really spectacular meal as better restaurants won't start serving until 8:00 and that's early.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

A couple of simple dining choices not far from the Gare du Nord are the Flo Group's Brasserie Flo at 7 cour des Petites-Écuries, or the same group's Julien, at 16 rue fu Faubourg St-Denis. While it's been years since I visited either one, I preferred the food at Brasserie Flo and the fabulous Art Nouveau decor at Julien. Maybe a leisurely dinner with a couple of bottles of wine is the way to go.

Can't think of much sight-seeing in the neighborhood, but from the Gare du Nord you can hop onto the Metro or RER to get into the center of the city pretty quickly, assuming you could leave your bags somewhere. Can't help you with that, unfortunately, as the rules have changed about left luggage availability since I last needed to know.

I think you can still leave bags in left luggage at the GduN. Or give the hat check lady at the Terminus Nord 10E to keep.

I'm very much leaning towards Terminus Nord. It's convenient, so we could get dinner and then see how much time is left... and I do like your suggestion to tip the hat-check lady!