• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

For whom would you most like to prepare a meal?

hunter s. thompson and dorothy parker? with bourdain? may i join you?

Oscar Wilde is another i would love to dine with, perhaps accompanied by chopin and catherine hepburn (an interesting mix to be sure).

but most of all, i think i would like to cook for the first chef i ever fell in love with, to show him all i have learned since then.

"They tried to stay in from the cold and the wind making love and making their dinner" - Fiest

hunter s. thompson and dorothy parker? with bourdain? may i join you?

Oscar Wilde is another i would love to dine with, perhaps accompanied by chopin and catherine hepburn (an interesting mix to be sure).

but most of all, i think i would like to cook for the first chef i ever fell in love with, to show him all i have learned since then.

Oh, please DO! And, yes, of course - La Kate and Oscar! The original snark king! So there we have it - a strong snark line up, with Batali for a little house-destroying Rabelaisian raucousness thrown in! Now we just need a menu . . . :cool:

The love of my life...if he would just show up, I'd totally make something killer. :wink:

and when he does appear, make him look over the exquisite pictures you have taken of your food creations .. don't make him wonder whether you have culinary abilities, let him see for himself ... for everything else? he's on his own ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hands down, it would have to be Willie Nelson. Nice rich meatloaf, gravy, smashed potatoes, braised green beans and probably peach ice cream for dessert. :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

My grandmother. She got me interested in cuisine to begin with, and I'd never cooked anything for her (she died before I started cooking professionally).

Other than that though, I'm content to cook for regular people who just enjoy good food.

What do I enjoy cooking most? Ukrainian food - most people look at me kind of wierd when I say that, I mean they think that this French kid who works in French restaurants (haute cuisine) would be cooking French food, but my culinary heritage is entirely Ukrainian (my mother came from a line of amazing Ukrainian cooks).

Anyhow, I'd probably serve borshch, holubsti (stuffed with buckwheat, w/ mushroom sauce), vareniky (potato/farmers cheese), home-made sausage, a lamb or maybe poultry roast, trout, raspberry soup (or warm compote in the winter), and of course, several breads and either fresh or pickled vegetables. (not in that order)

*Properly* made Ukrainian food IMO can compete with ANY other cuisine.

Edited by Mikeb19 (log)

Hands down, it would have to be Willie Nelson. Nice rich meatloaf, gravy, smashed potatoes, braised green beans and probably peach ice cream for dessert. :laugh:

I have a gut feeling Willie Nelson may have quite the appetite. :laugh: Or would that be called munchies.

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

I would love to cook for my grandparents. My grandfather passed away a few years ago and my grandmothers Alzheimers is so progressed that she can't remember what she likes or doesn't like. I just never really got to cook for them when I was younger (no interest or no knowledge) and now that I cook, I hate that I can't share my food with them. I would cook all of their favorites and we would gather around the table and have good food, lots of laughter and long conversations, just the way all of our meals used to be.

I don't want famous people, just Gramma and Pa.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

I have a gut feeling Willie Nelson may have quite the appetite. :laugh: Or would that be called munchies.

That would be fine, I've cooked for plenty in that situation, too! Quick fix white clam sauce and linguine, or cheese omlettes and bacon or ham or sausage, or even boxed macaroni and cheese with minced onions and tuna!

(Edited for "fat finger" typo)

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

And there've been times when I've just been happy with a new box of Nilla Wafers.

Don't look at me like that! No sin, no redemption, right?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

I would love to cook for my grandparents

That really struck a chord with me! I was old enough to be making and bringing parts of Christmas dinner to my grandmother's table, but it would be wonderful to have had them as guests at my own table.

I'd serve something just a little new, in a familiar style...smoked cod roe on tiny crunchy toasted baguette rounds, a salad of new potatoes, and a few barely-flowering shoots of "Autumn Poem" pak choy. Then we'd have a crown of lamb, in memory of the days when our Christmas roast was hogget, and with it some of Japan's many types of funghi, mixed with quickly boiled Chinese chives (a favorite dish of my son's), kumara (New Zealand sweet potato) cubed and fried very slowly in butter till crisp, and a small salad with a mustard dressing.

There'd be barely room for dessert, but that would be strawberries and boysenberries with cream, with a scattering of meringue crumbs in memory of my grandmother's friend, a patient woman who always made the meringues that my bustling grandmother could never bear to leave in the oven long enough to reach perfection!

I often think of people who stayed at an official inn in our neighborhood, on the road from Edo to Mito, and what they would make of the foods and cooking styles used by the people who live in the area today!