• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry externship available in New York

akwa

Looking for pastry externs to open high profile restaurant in New York. Position available immediately. Long hours, hard work, big reward; namely, job in the fall. Perfect for ambitious culinary graduate. Demanding but fair.

Hope to see you soon.

Sounds like a potentially great opportunity. Perhaps you could give a little background on yourself and your experience - where and with whom you have worked, your style and philosophy, who will be the restaurant's executive chef, etc. These are some of the things I would want to know before giving away a substantial amount of my valuable time and efforts.

I am young pastry chef who has spent seven years travelling around to find the most talented mentors available in both cooking and pastry. My first job on the pastry line was at El Bulli for the 1999 season, setting the bar for the rest of my career. I was lucky to work closely with Albert, also in the Taller, and learn from the system of creativity and organization. I would say that my style is much simpler, and more philosophy driven, rather than technique driven. Other experience includes trattoria cooking in Florence at Cibreo, pastry apprenticeship at Mulot in Paris, garde manger for Tetsuya in Sydney. Also I have been the Executive pastry chef for The Ryland Inn and most recently for Morimoto.

Wow - wish I had your resume. :smile: I hope you have luck in finding good people to work with you, and the new place does well. Please keep us posted on how things work out (if you can find the time :wink: ). And do let us know the name and location when you are free to disclose.

Looking for pastry externs to open high profile restaurant in New York.  Position available immediately.  Long hours, hard work, big reward; namely, job in the fall.  Perfect for ambitious culinary graduate.  Demanding but fair.

Hope to see you soon.

Sounds like a pretty cool internship from what you've typed. I'm required to do a baking internship this Fall...do you have any plans for accepting interns next Fall?

A.K.A "J.T"

My Pastry School Journal: Pastry Life

Gemini

Ideally, the externship program will be an ongoing process for interested parties. My door is always open for eager students (and professionals.) If you are interested, feel free to contact me by personal mail and we can arrange an interview.

Aside, I hope to live up to the kind words I received in this forum.

Gemini

Ideally, the externship program will be an ongoing process for interested parties. My door is always open for eager students (and professionals.) If you are interested, feel free to contact me by personal mail and we can arrange an interview.

Aside, I hope to live up to the kind words I received in this forum.

Thanks...I'll be in contact. :)

A.K.A "J.T"

gemini,

I don't know how close Woodstock, Vermont is to Montpelier but, there's a pretty cool restaurant there run by G.E. Bowles in the Jackson Inn that you might be interested in.

Go to http://gebowles.com/

He is one of the Food & Wine 10 best chefs this year.

Website is very cool and he is plugged in to the new stuff.

Just in case NYC is too much for the pocketbook?

2317/5000

gemini,

I don't know how close Woodstock, Vermont is to Montpelier but, there's a pretty cool restaurant there run by G.E. Bowles in the Jackson Inn that you might be interested in.

Go to http://gebowles.com/

He is one of the Food & Wine 10 best chefs this year.

Website is very cool and he is plugged in to the new stuff.

Just in case NYC is too much for the pocketbook?

Woodstock is about 2 hours or so away some mates of mind did a catered event out that away on Sat. I'll check out the link...thanks.

A.K.A "J.T"

Yes.... enquiring minds want to know :biggrin:

Akwa - not to worry about impropriety - if we ask and then you supply us with the name of your establishment it is not advertisement or shilling - that occurs only when people post unsolicited info about their own business solely for the purpose of drumming up business.

I wasnt even attempting to be coy, but it appears the word is out, also per todays NYT.

Will Goldfarb

Cru

24 5th Avenue

will@cru-nyc.com

Please feel free to use any all methods to find the most eager young minds. Again, not sure I merit the strong recommendations, but I will do my best not to disappoint.

(PS I try not to mix akwa pleasure and pastry business, but a rose by any other name, I guess)

I've got to say I'm very excited that Will is going to be on the scene in a very present way again in NYC.

I missed his work the 1st time around when he worked with Paul Liebrandt at Atlas (which spawned some other great people like Sam Mason), both of whom were probably a bit ahead of their time then.

This won't be the case this time around.

Google pastry chef Will Goldfarb and look at some damned interesting dessert combinations that were happening a good 3 or so years ago.

2317/5000

Again kind words from tan,

thanks

Things are much more simple and pure these days, looking for philosophy over technique, and ingredient. All three together makes love.cook

Having good success with fruit waters in various manifestations, but people are confused when told the poached fruits and teas have no ingredients, just the papa fruit.