• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clean and Neat in Seattle

I recieved this note from my mother this morning:

Dad and I have one night in Seattle by ourselves and will be staying at the Inn at the Market. What do your gourmet friends recommend for the best meal in Seattle (not necessarily the most expensive.)

Well, you can see what the rules are so what do you reccomend?

Things to keep in mind-

1)They are well traveled and well off and do not need to, or try to, impress anybody ever (I love that about them) but they like nice and they like good food.

2)They have been to Seattle, but it's been a while.

3)THey live in Louisiana so Seafood is no big deal unless it's the best thing going(probably is)

4)They are going to be in Alaska for 10 days, so I'm thinking that we should avoid salmon if possible-they'll get enough during the trip.

5)Cocktails are important :shock::laugh:

Thanks in advance for your help. I've spent alot of time in Seattle, but drinking beer and looking for cheap ethnic food in old downtowns and stripmalls is not their style (although they will happily do this if led there and rave about it if it is good). This is my mothers first big trip since they ripped out her heart and stuck it back in, so I want to help where I can.

Whaddya got for a couple of world travelers a notch below premium fine dining but really good?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

4)They are going to be in Alaska for 10 days, so I'm thinking that we should avoid salmon if possible-they'll get enough during the trip.

Brooks-

I *loved* when Mario Batali answered favourites of SEA in the recent Q&A with something to the effect of the "unapologetic food like McCormick [and Schmidt's]. My last meal there with my mother was wonderful, but it was for something that the great Pacific Ocean provided and was without a doubt fresh.... I can get fabulous French, etc. here in Cleveland -- but not PNW fresh seafood as often as I prefer.

But this Alaska part has this Alaskan girl curious. Where are they stopping? I'd love to offer up recommendations as I've grown up there and visit my family frequently in that great state. :wub:

Sounds as though they will have a positively lovely time on holiday. :cool:

For great cocktails, they can descend about 3 stories of steps from Inn at the Market and end up at ZigZag. Some of the best cocktails in Seattle, and good snacks as well. They can ask the Inn to direct them.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Or Dahlia Lounge.

I understand the cocktails part. We recently took my parents out to dinner and my father could not get over the fact that he couldn't have a cocktail before dinner (the restaurant only served beer and wine). It is now a requirement when we take them out.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Matt's in the Market. Really great food. Great vibe. Great fun to watch them cook if you are seated at the bar.

Cafe Campagne or Le Pichet for classic french bistro fare. Very tasty, great atomsphere, both places. All within walking distance of the Inn. If they are there for a weekend morning, brunch at Cafe Campagne is a winner. Or, they could consider dinner at its fancier cousin, Campagne, straight across from the Inn's front door.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Because I have a reputation to uphold (and I believe it to be the best option)...

Union (at 1st & Union)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

and Matt's in the Market (if a flight and a half of stairs is okay.) Very small, a bit of 'tude, they do take reservations these days. No cocktails, but wines by the glass.

Stairs are fine. They both look like they are about 50. I don't think she will be giving Lance Armstrong a rn for his money anytime, but she is damned mobile.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'll vote for Matt's or Cascadia. And if they have time, a stroll through the Market in the morning, even if it's just when it's being set up - it's a great way to start the day!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Etta's just past the north end of the Pike Market. I've only eaten there once but the Dungeness crab cakes were incredible and it really does taste different than blue point crab. I also had the best spinach salad I've ever eaten in my life. On second thought... make that the best salad I've ever had - it was that good.

I've been to McCormick and Schmick's a few times and the raw oysters were very tasty (Quilcene's in particular) but you can just go to the little counter at Jack's Fish Spot (next to Three Sisters Bakery - across from Pike Market). I was less than impressed with the service at M&S on the three visit that I made there.

I was less than impressed with the service at M&S on the three visit that I made there.

I have to agree. That is the only restaurant I can get my mother to go to whenever we are travelling together to/from Sitka. We've gone there when we had to flag down our server for each and every request. However I have to admit that the last time we visited (September, 2003) the service ranked right up with some of the most outstanding dining experiences I've had to date. I actually got my stationary out and wrote a complimentary letter to his boss for his perfect and very considerate service.

I was less than impressed with the service at M&S on the three visit that I made there.

I have to agree. That is the only restaurant I can get my mother to go to whenever we are travelling together to/from Sitka. We've gone there when we had to flag down our server for each and every request. However I have to admit that the last time we visited (September, 2003) the service ranked right up with some of the most outstanding dining experiences I've had to date. I actually got my stationary out and wrote a complimentary letter to his boss for his perfect and very considerate service.

And now, you can be an Owner. IPO. But there are M&S all over the country, so let's not send visitors there if we can help it! I am mean and cruel.

Welcome zoeezoom. In the same vein - we can also recommend Lark. But both are a drive away from the Market.

Do let them know that Sunday and Monday some restaurants close. (And a few on Tuesdays - Kingfish Cafe. That would be a funny place to send them - Southern cooking in Seattle!)

And now, you can be an Owner. IPO. But there are M&S all over the country, so let's not send visitors there if we can help it!

Ummm, they aren't everywhere and I currently don't have instant, local access to Dungies, spot shrimp, oysters, etc. As I stated above, I'm not looking for various outstanding cuisines presented impeccably while I'm in Seattle for one night of dining. I can get those in Cleveland, but not the "simple, apologetic" delights of the Pacific ocean at one restaurant I know I can rouse my mother into eating at...

Ummm, they aren't everywhere and I currently don't have instant, local access to Dungies, spot shrimp, oysters, etc. As I stated above, I'm not looking for various outstanding cuisines presented impeccably while I'm in Seattle for one night of dining. I can get those in Cleveland, but not the "simple, apologetic" delights of the Pacific ocean at one restaurant I know I can rouse my mother into eating at...

Point taken. I suppose as how M&S originated in the NW, I should be a better supporter. I just don't think I'd suggest it to this couple. I rarely look for "outstanding cuisines presented impeccably" - nice to know you can get that in Cleveland though. I tend to prefer local food prepared with passion. That's why Matt's gets my rec over and over, as well as Lark.