• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Syrups

mags

I have a sudden, peculiar desire to make my own fruit syrups, mostly because the currants, cherries, and peaches look and smell so good right now. I'm not sure what exactly I plan to do with them -- though making faux-Italian sodas, come winter, sounds like an idea -- but here's my question: The recipes I've seen indicate that these things keep in the fridge for a month. I want to be using these in February. Can I freeze them, maybe in ice-cube trays? Is there any reason why this wouldn't be desirable?

The higher the sugar content of the syrup the colder your freezer must be to get the syrups to freeze. I would not recommend ice cube trays for long storage unless you wrap them so the syrup is not exposed to the freezer air-it will pick up a nasty taste. If you want to use the syrup cubes now, say in a sparkling punch, go ahead and use the trays. I swear by good ole freezer bags with all o the air taken out.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I make all kinds of fruit syrups and freeze them in large airtight containers for later use either as a syrup or for making jellies in combination with other things.

It can be kept much longer when frozen in larger amounts.

I only freeze juices or diluted syrups in ice cube trays shortly before use because they have to be tightly sealed to keep from being altered by the freezer and even a month is too long.

I use the Cambro containers because they are just flared enough from bottom to top so that anything frozen in them can be decanted into a bowl or another container without waiting for the entire thing to melt.

You can also freeze juices and syrups in orange juice cartons (that have been scrupulously cleaned) then clamp the top closed and place the carton in a freezer bag.

When ready to use it, simply cut the top off, dip briefly in hot water and the frozen mass will come out easily.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ohhh, both of you, thank you so much! I think I will look for the Cambro containers, since I don't want to have to thaw the whole shebang at once. Alternatively, I saw something to the effect that if I processed the syrup in bottles -- exactly as if I were making jam -- that would preserve it for long storage. Does this ring true?

Edited by mags (log)

As long as you have a way of keeping it well sealed. I bottle citrus syrup in the glass bottles with the glass top that has a rubber gasket and a wire bail to hold the top on.

I sterilize the bottles, funnel and everything that will touch the syrup fill to within an inch of the top of the bottle and (wearing sterile gloves) cap the bottle.

I keep these on a shelf in my pantry.

I have a large bottle of vanilla syrup from a batch that I made 2 or 3 years ago (I use it for making marrons glacé) and it is still just fine.

I buy the bottles at Cost Plus World Market. Every store has a different policy, but the store at which I shop will give me a good discount if I buy a case of the bottles. They are not all that expensive at the regular price.

I have several bottles of mixed flavor syrups, ginger/orange, cinnamon/orange, ginger/lime and mixed berry, all are bottled this way and stored in the pantry. My pantry does stay fairly cool, even in the middle of summer.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you so much, Andiesenji. I got some bottles with the rubber/wire gasket-thingie, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to store the syrup without processing in a water-batch, as for jelly, so I also bought a dozen small jelly-jars with vaccum-seal lids, that can be processed. I'm in the attic in NYC, and my place does get kinda steamy in the summer, so I may be better off using the jars for syrups (and processing the stuff), and saving the bottles for liqueurs. I'm in the middle of making what I hope will be a peach-almond-and-ginger syrup...though I am not at all sure what I plan to use it for. What do you do with your syrups?

For flavoring ice cream, sorbet, ices. As a base for drinks with plain water, seltzer or club soda (a soda siphon works really well). Some are used in making dressings or condiments. Also in baking.

If you wish you can process the bottles in a water bath, you just have to start them in tepid water then bring it up to a boil, process for the correct time then allow to cool in the water, capping the bottles at teh end of the process time but not fastening the bail until they are cool.

However the acid/sugar level in most syrups is so high that you don't have to worry about anything infecting the syrup as long as it is bottled while it is still hot.