• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking consistency

AnneW

I've been wandering around in this forum looking for inspiration for a birthday dinner this Saturday night. I also looked on the Post's site and read some reviews. It seems all the restaurants I'm thinking about -- Equinox, Kinkead's, Citronelle, Laboratorio, Vidalia -- inspired reader reviews on the extreme ends of the spectrum. Not so helpful. Can anyone out there recommend a really good restaurant that we can count on to *be* really good (and worth the money) on the night we're there? Does such a place exist? For reference, we really like Palena (but I want to try something new), have had good meals at 2941 and Obelisk, and found the Inn at Little Washington overrated and not worth the price.

Thanks so much for any thoughts you migh have.

I'm going to keep this simple.

Have you not tried Nectar? I too like Palena, so...

Nectar is consistent and the service is wonderful. You'll feel well taken care of without the annoying hovering, and the food is awesome. Trust me, your hubby will be happy there.

Read about it.

If I had to bet my own money on somebody else being entirely pleased with a meal, I'd send them to Maestro. I think you'll be lucky to get in, though, if it's this Saturday you're planning for. Nectar would also be a fine choice provided you are more interested in good food and suave service than in swank decor.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

The service, the food, and the great wine at Firefly are three great reasons to go there for a special occasion.

If I were having a birthday dinner that is where I would want to go.

Either you are my mother or I owe you $20.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Thank you all so much for your responses. We're going to try Nectar -- we love Palena but I wanted to spring something new on him. Nectar sounds like our kind of place in that it's a little more informal in spirit (though I hope not in cooking!). I'll keep Maestro and Eve on my list for other times. Firefly is lovely but I must confess that it's a place where I've been disappointed -- wonderful brunch one weekend, less outstanding Saturday dinner a couple months later. Give its fans here, I'll give it another try soon.

Again, thanks for your time in responding. I'll let you know how it goes! Best, Anne

Thank you all so much for your responses. We're going to try Nectar -- we love Palena but I wanted to spring something new on him. Nectar sounds like our kind of place in that it's a little more informal in spirit (though I hope not in cooking!). I'll keep Maestro and Eve on my list for other times. Firefly is lovely but I must confess that it's a place where I've been disappointed -- wonderful brunch one weekend, less outstanding Saturday dinner a couple months later. Give its fans here, I'll give it another try soon.

Again, thanks for your time in responding. I'll let you know how it goes! Best, Anne

Here are the instructions for Nectar:

Have drinks at the bar first.

Order at least 3 food courses

Mandatory: order cheese course

Different desserts all around.

Try not to eat too much of the tasty bread.

Ask for tall glasses for the water. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mark

Here are the instructions for Nectar:

Have drinks at the bar first.

Order at least 3 food courses

Mandatory: order cheese course

Different desserts all around.

Try not to eat too much of the tasty bread.

Ask for tall glasses for the water. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Marky Baby, You've been away to long. We've got the most funky fresh new water glasses in town. All new stemless Riedel, stupid as hell for wine. But damn it if I can't fit a whole case of VOSS in it if need be.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Nectar last night was a huge success. My husband and our friends loved it, and I'm a hero thanks to you all for having steered us there. One of my friends said it was the best meal he'd had in DC, and he's lived (and eaten) all over the world. We did the tasting menu, with wines chosen by one of the owners (didn't introduce himself -- Jared?). The courses were: an oyster in Bloody Mary sauce (only one I didn't love -- sauce seemed to overpower the oyster), cucumber gazpacho with tuna tartar (came on strong but mellowed into a really nice and unexpected combination of flavors); heavenly scallops with chorizo and some veg; beautiful fois gras with a piece of carmelized pineapple and a fantastic sauce; hangar steak with polenta, girolles and another amazing sauce. Plus cheeses like none we'd had before, and then came 5 desserts (my favorite: one with roasted fruits and a piece of the best shortbread ever). Each wine was a new delight. We just had a great time. We also cleared the restaurant after having been there for over three hours. I have a headache this morning and I may not eat again til Tuesday but it was worth it.

Thanks again to you all.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a headache this morning and I may not eat again til Tuesday but it was worth it.

surely these are (in a sadistic sense) the most fabulous of meals !?!

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

• 7 months later...
Marky Baby, You've been away to long. We've got the most funky fresh new water glasses in town. All new stemless Riedel, stupid as hell for wine. But damn it if I can't fit a whole case of VOSS in it if need be.

Hey Jarad,

I saw that they used your glasses Spanglish. When my wife and I watched that scene, we had to pause the movie and reminisce about our great experience and the creme brulee!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Thanks for moving this to the top fo the list, lossing Nectar was like getting dumped by your highschool sweetheart, now you brought back all of the painful memories :sad::angry:

Well just thinking of the foie makes it all better. :wub: