• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best SF Bay breakfasts?

jschyun

oh yes the spicy cabbage salad whats it called. the stuff served with pupusas. love it.

x marlena

Curtido, I think.

It's "slaw" to me.

Yeah, curtido! thanks, senor soup!

god do i love that stuff!

in fact, i think i'm going out to buy a cabbage right this moment.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

foreign cinema brunch can be excellent

http://foreigncinema.com/food/brunch.php

it often gets overlooked because of it's affiliation with the crowd that left town a couple of years ago but I've had consistently very good meals there- for dinner, etc...on the right day sitting in the courtyard is quite nice for brunch and maybe a little raucous in a good way

there's always swan oyster depot on polk near california open at 8 am (closed sunday)- not really traditional breakfast for all but one of my favorites

Foregin Cinema is Wonderful!

And Gayle Pirie wrote a book all about eggs a number of years back: something like city egg, country egg.......so even though i havne't eaten their bunchy eggy things, i'd better go there and do just that!

Foreign cinema is a real gem.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Back to breakfast: I recently had a fantastic dish at A16 which was technically a lunch dish, but if you are eating early lunch/very late breakfast, it really hits the spot and makes me long for a restaurant that would serve only this type of food for breakfast all day long: a bowl of soft cooked polenta with a little slightly spicy tomato sauce, poached eggs, dressed arugula, and shaved cheese on top. I just had a version of this at Balthazar but with wilted spinach, and Cafe 817 as well but more simply with only the cooked grain and teleme and eggs.

Although it is my favorite breakfast, it is also hangover-heaven breakfast, especially if sausages are involved. A glass of red doesn't hurt either, and, coincidentally all three above serve good ones, and A16 great ones.