• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington DC Restaurant Week, 2004

bilrus

Always wanted to try Yanyu, and this menu sounds fantastic. Would any of you know if they are amenable to substitutions? I only eat sea creatures, so the first two courses would be out, but I hate to be a picky one, esp at a busy time like RW.

thanks!

"Big media today wants to own the faucet, pipeline, water, and the reservoir. The rain clouds come next." - Ted Turner

Yanyu update - This new e-mail came in today:

Dear All,

Due to great demand from our royal customers, yanyu Restaurant will serve full weeks on restaurant week festival. We will open on Monday the 26th of July instead, to serve dinner. Also, yanyu executive chef - Jessie Yan will design a 3 course menu(as restaurant week menu) with choices along with the menu that I send out on last week. So, you will presented with 2 special menus on the night to review and make decision. Even more tempting right?

Yanyu business hour during Restaurant Week will be the following

Lunch Hour

Tuesday To Saturday 12:00 noon to 2:30p.m.

Dinner Hour

Monday To Thursday 5:30p.m. to 10:30p.m.

Friday and Saturday 5:30p.m. to 11:00p.m.

Sunday 4:30p.m. to 10:00p.m.

If you need further asistant please feel free to call the restaurant and ask for the Manager - Yennie. We will be happy to assit you. Hope to see all of you at yanyu.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Regards!

Bill Russell

Yanyu update - This new e-mail came in today:

Dear All,

Due to great demand from our royal customers, yanyu Restaurant will serve full weeks on restaurant week festival. We will open on Monday the 26th of July instead, to serve dinner. Also, yanyu executive chef - Jessie Yan will design a 3 course menu(as restaurant week menu) with choices along with the menu that I send out on last week. So, you will presented with 2 special menus on the night to review and make decision. Even more tempting right?

Yanyu business hour during Restaurant Week will be the following

Lunch Hour

Tuesday To Saturday 12:00 noon to 2:30p.m.

Dinner Hour

Monday To Thursday 5:30p.m. to 10:30p.m.

Friday and Saturday 5:30p.m. to 11:00p.m.

Sunday 4:30p.m. to 10:00p.m.

If you need further asistant please feel free to call the restaurant and ask for the Manager - Yennie. We will be happy to assit you. Hope to see all of you at yanyu.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Regards!

What about those of us who are commoners? :raz:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Due to great demand from our royal customers

I laughed at that too. I thought it might have been a Chinese phonetic pronunciation of Loyal.

Bill Russell

Due to great demand from our royal customers

I laughed at that too. I thought it might have been a Chinese phonetic pronunciation of Loyal.

A few months ago, Nooshi (also owned by the same people) sent out flyers advertising their happy hour special which they called "Funky Sushi". All you can eat funky sushi...........

Mark

Well, we're getting closer, and I think my lineup is coming together. In addition to my plan to visit Ceiba, a look at Tosca's RW menu just pushed that establishment up to be my next choice. :shock:

Does anyone else know of any other places that offer a large selection? That's more important to me than atmosphere. Since I'll be going with a group, I'd like to be able to sample everyone else's dishes as well. It would help if everyone isn't having the same thing I am.

For example, anyone know anything about Poste?

Edited by The Doctor (log)

Hi all,

I'll start off by outing myself as an OpenTable employee. I just wanted to give you "royal" diners a last heads-up:

OpenTable is getting set to send their Restaurant Week email reminder to all 50,000 members tomorrow. If you haven't already made your reservations, you should do it by 9:30 Wednesday morning if you want to beat the crowd.

You can do it the old-fashioned way and call, or get with the times and book your reservation online :smile:

http://www.opentable.com/promo/dcrestweek.asp?ID=9

Cheers!

DNC-Boston v. Donkey RW-Washington

This is the first time in history a party convention and unconventional party have overlapped.

Is Restaurant Week bipartisan?

:wacko:

fyi - here's Palette's RW dinner menu (i'm going here on Thurs and to DC Coast on Monday). did anyone check out Butterfield 9's RW menu also (see link) - it didn't make the cut this time, but the menu (particularly lunch) looks tasty.

APPETIZERS

Yellow Tomato Bisque

Jumbo Lump Crab Salad, Opal Basil Puree

Lump Crab Cake

Roasted Corn Puree, Pepper Relish

Field Greens & Grilled Mushroom Salad

Truffle Honey Vinaigrette

ENTREES

Roasted Wild Alaskan Salmon

Roasted Corn, Fava Bean & Onion Succotash, Fried Green Tomatoes

Herb Basted Bone-in Chicken Breast

Five Spice Sweet Potato Waffle, Braised Greens, Chive Honey Reduction

Grilled Hanger Steak

Balsamic Glazed Asparagus, Three Potato Hash, Fresh Horseradish Cream

DESSERTS

Chocolate Chi Bread Pudding

Saffron Ice Cream

Blackberry Cobbler

Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream

I was going to go to Vidalia for restaurant week, but am having second thoughts based on their posted RW menu. There is a surcharge for roughly half of the items on the menu, and in the end it looks like you only save a couple bucks in comparison with the prices posted on the regular menu, unless you make sure to order items with no surcharge. Also, the side items are more expensive, but perhaps they've raised their prices recently?. If I'm only gonna save a few bucks, I'd rather avoid the crowds & go during non-RW.

Hey, I hadn't thought about Bis offering a fixed-price brunch, but I have to say the menu for it looks pretty good. I've had brunch there before and it's terrific.

Hey, I hadn't thought about Bis offering a fixed-price brunch, but I have to say the menu for it looks pretty good. I've had brunch there before and it's terrific.

I'm glad to see that menu. I have Saturday lunch reservations there and that menu looks very good.

My first res is tonight at Corduroy.

Mmmm... "Michel’s Chocolate Hazelnut Bars". I think last time I actually liked this version better than the original at Citronelle.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

"Does anyone else know of any other places that offer a large selection? ...For example, anyone know anything about Poste?"

For dinner we'll be opening up the entire menu to restaurant weekers, although a few dishes will have slight up charges. Lunch, however, will be slightly more limited. See ya'll soon.

Poste

I was going to go to Vidalia for restaurant week, but am having second thoughts based on their posted RW menu. There is a surcharge for roughly half of the items on the menu, and in the end it looks like you only save a couple bucks in comparison with the prices posted on the regular menu, unless you make sure to order items with no surcharge. Also, the side items are more expensive, but perhaps they've raised their prices recently?. If I'm only gonna save a few bucks, I'd rather avoid the crowds & go during non-RW.

I agree- this kind of approach pisses me off. I'm probably going to cancel tonite's reservation. The meal I'd choose would cost me $45 without tax,tip,alcohol--not such a great deal after all.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Thank you dbortnick!!!

I have to unexpectedly go out of town this weekend, so I'll have to miss out on Poste's delights. But it is now #1 on my list for next Restaurant Week. Or maybe the next time I dine out. I don't think I can wait that long.

Yes, Thank you dbortnick! We are all looking forward to checking out the new and improved Poste.

At Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar we have the whole menu available for lunch and dinner for restaurant week, (there are a few items with a small supplemental fee) but for those of you who have been wanting to come in but are on a tighter budget, it is an amazing deal. We did the same thing last time and it was really well received. Enjoy!

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

Yes, Thank you dbortnick! We are all looking forward to checking out the new and improved Poste.

At Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar we have the whole menu available for lunch and dinner for restaurant week, (there are a few items with a small supplemental fee) but for those of you who have been wanting to come in but are on a tighter budget, it is an amazing deal. We did the same thing last time and it was really well received. Enjoy!

Are reservations required for lunch? Even if I come solo mio?

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Having, currently, both the inclination and the time and being, generally, as cheap as a Dutch Scotsman (No offence. No offence.) – it occurred to me while reading the main Restaurant Week thread that eating seven lunches this week could be both fun, though fattening, and a chance to whittle down the personal "restaurants to visit" list to a more manageable length in a fiscally responsible manner. "The More You Eat, The More You Save" -- wasn't that a Tears For Fears tune?

First out of the hat today was Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar, a cool, spare place on M St. in Georgetown which raises a question about New American restaurants that, as a foreigner, I’ve always wanted to ask: “What’s with the extra ‘e’?” Anyway, they're participating enthusiastically; the waitress reminded me RW was on and was happy to expound on the concept to the Justice Department lawyers who came in a bit later on. The special menu appeared to be largely soups, salads and sandwiches, albeit quite imaginative ones, and, from a purely quantitative viewpoint, my guess is that you’re probably saving somewhere North of $5 this week. From a personal point of view, is it worth the trip? Absolutely.

The highlight for me was probably the gazpacho, served with basil oil and a thin, crisp pita called lavash. Very sweet-tart, very refreshing. The Virginia Kobe hamburger was perfectly cross-hatched, and intensely beefy, though a bit past my own definition of medium. The nice, gooey cobbler made good use of the great peaches around now and of some interesting cinnamon-maple ice cream. Some other things that looked good: Thai snapper club with basil aioli on sourdough; house-smoked chicken breast with apple chutney and brie on honey-wheat; a DLT, with duck bacon; a vanilla-buttermilk cheesecake.

Wine is obviously also a big part of the concept, though that’s hard to do justice at lunch and while theoretically assuming a defensive financial position. But a friend, uh, yeah a friend, told me the Diamondback cabernet is pretty good and, as a sense-of-place bonus, it is made in Southern Mendocino itself.

(PS: After writing this, see on the main thread that Mendocino actually is offering its full card for RW, so please take comments about scope of the menu as just my 2,004 cents. Musta mista memo.)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Small correction, the lunch menu is not a "full menu" for restaurant week. I've had some requests for the Restaurant Week Menu at Mendocino, so I'm posting a link to them here. (They aren't up on our website.)

As far as the supplemental fees, the few items that have it, range from $2 to $5 (and that is on the VA organic kobe beef.)

As far as reservations go, even for lunch, it is a good idea. We only have about 50 seats, so if you really have your heart set on eating at Mendocino, better safe than hungry. If you are solo, then you can always eat at the bar and don't need a reservation to do that. Restaurant week can be crazy though, so you really never know what is going to happen.

Let me know if there are any more questions!

Mendocino Lunch - Restaurant Week

Mendocino Dinner - Restaurant Week

Edited by JRage (log)

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar