• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington DC Restaurant Week, 2004

bilrus

i love to hate it. and hate to love it: for both sides of the spectrum.

exhibit a: a first rate, absolutely stellar meal at the (now deceased) "homey" vidalia (replaced by the urban chic, replete with frosted glass and a myriad of black paint) where the ENTIRE (marginally abbreviated from their regular one) menu was devoted to the restaurant week promotion, albeit with some surchages for ahem the pricier items.

exhibit b: a woeful forgettable menu of chef boyardee preparations at galileo. how about 20.04 (or whatever it twas that they charged for lunch) for either ribbolita (which i believe derived from tuscan peasant's ingenuity at making their bread and tomatoes stretch into a stew ? ) or a portobello mushroom. with some salad. drizzled in safeway balsamic. or chef boyardees own recipe for veal ragu. and (ok youve got me) a terrific vanilla pannacotta with raspberries.

and yes, as a member of the industry, i realize the inherent difficulty in charging 20 or 30 bucks for a three course meal and still serving quality and beauty; good things cost more money; pristine ingredients and preparation demand pecuniary provisions that can stretch into the stratosphere.

but honestly, if youre not going to take it seriously then why bother at all?

vidalia did extraordinary things for the cost (and a little extra). perhaps their food costs suffered for the worse. then again, i've returned to vidalia and spent hard earned money on their full menu and found it delicious, perhaps even to the point of their recouping whatever money they may have lost on me during restaurant week. need i say ive yet to return to galileo (on principle alone not the mention the quality of the food did not even merit its diminished price tag) ?

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Love it or hate it. Customer or employee. It's that time of year again.

List of participating restaurants and link to Open Table participants here:

DC Restaurant Week

Right. Thanks Bill, I forgot. Gives me enough time to purchase firearms.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Last year I had a very pleasant experience at Yanyu. The regular menu was available and they had a number of menu choices available for $30-50 a person. Lot's of restaurants will only give you one choice and they hold back on their menu. Yanyu did not seem to do this, and it looks like they are participating again.

who the bleep decided to schedule D.C. restaurant week for the WEEK OF THE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION IN BOSTON?!?!?!?!

grumble.

think of me and my stale sandwiches while you're reveling.

We'll have a meal in your honor :wink: Who has the best deal this time around?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Just clicked on the link to the website--it looks like someone inserted the new date at the top, but underneath that it says:

"The Washington, DC Convention and Tourism Corporation and the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington are proud to present the fourth Washington, DC Restaurant Week from January 12 - 18, 2004 "

And if you look at the list, BeDuCi is shown as participating...on another thread, someone mentioned that they had closed, and that SBC Cafe would be taking over that space. I wonder how current the rest of the list is?

need i say ive yet to return to galileo (on principle alone not the mention the quality of the food did not even merit its diminished price tag) ?

post-perusal of the postings on osteria galileo, i may have to reconsider going to galileo again. the infamous trip i laconicly (not a word i dont think) related above did occur several summers ago. time for revisit methinks. perhaps. maybe if that sommelier chap went along...

ive quoted myself. it feels strange and slimey. i should go to bed.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

We're doing dinner at Vidalia. Hoping they'll give a big selection again.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Citronelle has never participated, to my knowledge. (Though it sounds like some people try to eat there and then claim they were participating when presented with the bill!)

Sara, I'm hitting Vidalia with my esteemed spouse and long-suffering roommate too. We'll have to compare notes here.

need i say ive yet to return to galileo (on principle alone not the mention the quality of the food did not even merit its diminished price tag) ?

post-perusal of the postings on osteria galileo, i may have to reconsider going to galileo again. the infamous trip i laconicly (not a word i dont think) related above did occur several summers ago. time for revisit methinks. perhaps. maybe if that sommelier chap went along...

ive quoted myself. it feels strange and slimey. i should go to bed.

I went to Galileo last restaurant week and I have to say that it was exactly as you descibed. I think I am going to skip that place and do DC Coast again. They had their entire menu available with a small surcharge for the lobster.

I just wish that some of the places on the list, including Galileo, would just not participate.

Jennifer

Count me as another who subjected themselves to Galileo during restaurant week. The service is bad enough to non-VIPs during the regular season, and during restaurant week it's even worse. The food was absolutely dreadful. I agree that they shouldn't participate.

Restaurants that I've enjoyed during Restaurant Week: Melrose, 1789 and Equinox.

Edited by MCJB2 (log)

All it takes is a little research and R.W. is a phenomenal experience. My first one was just this January, at DC Coast. I made sure to find a place that didn't have so many restrictions on the menu. This time around I'll stick with the same restaurant family and try to hit Ceiba. We've had a handful of these things now in DC, so word of mouth is getting around as to which establishments try to bring in new customers with these deals, and which treat their patrons like cattle.

In the last few RWs I have done Corduroy (the best RW experience I have had yet, full menu available), Tosca (pretty good, with more than a few choices), Equinox (very good - several nice choices that I supplemented a little bit) and Colvin Run Tavern (also pretty good with several choices).

This year I have made reses at Corduroy again and Yanyu. I'm glad to hear they do a good job.

This is my first time in several cycles not to go to the Dem convention. I thought it would be too much hassle with security, a hometown nominee. And that was before I knew it was RW. Good choice.

Bill Russell

I should also add that my lunches as part of RW at Charlie Palmers, Poste and at Bistro B were phenomenal and I would absolutely eat there again.

I really want to try David Greggory. Anyone have experience with this joint during RW?

Jennifer

I should also add that my lunches as part of RW at Charlie Palmers, Poste and at Bistro B were phenomenal and I would absolutely eat there again.

I really want to try David Greggory. Anyone have experience with this joint during RW?

A coworker of mine went last year to DG with a group of mid-20's, downtown workers--not a good experience. Food was fine, but they were treated like "dirt" and actually snubbed by the waiter since they ordered one of the least expensive wines on the menu. While I understand the strains of RW, I don't believe there is any reason to treat diners that way. (They could have skipped the wine entirely!)Myself, I would have said something right there and then, but she did not, and she won't hesitate to tell her friends not to dine there.

We did it last time and had a really good meal there. they do the typical 2 or 3 choices though

As I have mentioned previously, Ten Penh does a nice job with RW. You have a few options for the appetizer and can choose from most of the entrees (there are surcharges for certain items such as lamb). Plus I've never received any attitude.

I recieved this e-mail this morning from Yanyu via Open Table. Looks like they aren't doing the full menu this time, but this sounds pretty good and appears to be a pretty good value for $30.

"In conjunction with up-coming Restaurant Weeks festival, yanyu Restaurant is offering 5 courses Tasting Menu with only $30.00 per person. Please find the menu as follow:-

1st Course - Lily Bulb Dumpling (Delicate egg white wrapped with minced chicken & Asian vegetables)

2nd Course - Big Duck (yanyu signature item. Peking roast duck served with pancakes, scallions, cucumber and homemade plum sauce)

3rd course - Crab Cucumber Sunomono (Tossed with chef special sauce)

4th course - Honey roasted Seabass (Roasted with bed of scallions, Shanghai style).

5th course - Crispy Garlic Shrimp (Jumbo shrimp flavored with garlic, spicy salt & pepper)

Wine pairing is available with additional $15.00 with 3 glasses of wine pair between every 2 courses."

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I recieved this e-mail this morning from Yanyu via Open Table. Looks like they aren't doing the full menu this time, but this sounds pretty good and appears to be a pretty good value for $30.

"In conjunction with up-coming Restaurant Weeks festival, yanyu Restaurant is offering 5 courses Tasting Menu with only $30.00 per person. Please find the menu as follow:-

1st Course - Lily Bulb Dumpling (Delicate egg white wrapped with minced chicken & Asian vegetables)

2nd Course - Big Duck (yanyu signature item. Peking roast duck served with pancakes, scallions, cucumber and homemade plum sauce)

4th course - Honey roasted Seabass (Roasted with bed of scallions, Shanghai style).

5th course - Crispy Garlic Shrimp (Jumbo shrimp flavored with garlic, spicy salt & pepper)

Wine pairing is available with additional $15.00 with 3 glasses of wine pair between every 2 courses."

Holy crap that sounds good.

Mmmmm. I'm there.