• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Girona Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

pedro

I'm going to be for two weeks in the area, with my base of operations in Pals. So, if you'd like to share some suggestions, those would certainly be appreciated.

In the two days that I've spent here, I've already visited Can Bech and La Xicra. And I will return to both, I believe. More to come when I get hold of a better connection.

BTW, Can Bech's owner passed me some recs which I intend to explore.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Talk about culinary hotbeds, the province of Girona, with El Bulli, Can Roca, Mas de Torrent, L'Aliança, El Rebost d'en Pere, Els Fogons de Can Llaudes, Hotel Empordà, Mas Pau, El Roser 2, Els Tinars, Miramar, Mas Les Cols, La Cuina de Can Pipes, SA Punta, Toni Saez, and Torre del Remei, now rivals Guipuzkoa (San Sebastian) as the top province in Spain for restaurants (Barcelona aside). The aforementioned list is just the creative cuisine list and doesn't include a wealth of traditional cuisine places that can be wonderful.

Edited by Gerry Dawes (log)

Thanks, Gerry. I was thinking more on traditional cooking than creative one.

Just a quick comments about your list:

a) I'm actually staying at Sa Punta (this is my third year).

b) Can Pipes and Mas de Torrent were a disappointment last year. Slight in the first, quite unimpressive cooking in the second.

c) Mas Pau, which I loved in my first visit some years ago, has been qualified with a "I wouldn't eat there right now" by a local whom I trust. Maybe nimzo, who's been there recently, can give us his point of view.

Sorry for not making that clear in my first post, but what I'm really after are not starred restaurant which appear in the guides. I've more or less covered those, since this area has become my favourite to spend my summer holidays.

The question right now, just a few hours from dining at El Bulli, is whether to make the trip to Sant Pau and visit Carme Ruscalleda. Laziness, that blessed summer attitude...

Laziness, that blessed summer attitude...

Get out there and eat. It's hard work but someone has to do it. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

As many here on these forums I've done most of the rec's in the second post by Gerry, and wow, definetely great! But my rec. is off the beaten track in the village of Ullastret; Restaurante El Iberic, phone 972 75 71 08 for down to earth cooking with THE freshest hand-picked ingredients.

Owner picked setas in season, the rare Violets del mar, succulent espardenyas, calderetas, etc.

The closest thing I came to a website was at:

http://www.paisos-catalans.com/restaurants/iberic.html

As Bux puts it: Hard work, but enjoyable!

Edited for spelling.

Edited by The Viking (log)

As many here on these forums I've done most of the rec's in the second post by Gerry, and wow, definetely great! But my rec. is off the beaten track in the village of Ullastret; Restaurante El Iberic, phone 972 75 71 08 for down to earth cooking with THE freshest hand-picked ingredients.

Owner picked setas in season, the rare Violets del mar, succulent espardenyas, calderetas, etc.

The closest thing I came to a website was at:

http://www.paisos-catalans.com/restaurants/iberic.html

As Bux puts it: Hard work, but enjoyable!

Edited for spelling.

I went to L'Iberic last week. I thought the caldereta was good but not great, though the gambes de Palamós were outstanding. I also found the owner a little grating. He tries so much to impersonate a Catalan pagès that I thought he was a joke. OK, maybe he's for real but I don't like the way he "sells" being authentic. In my view a place that might have been great 10 years ago but has had too much success for its own good.

I went to L'Iberic last week. I thought the caldereta was good but not great, though the gambes de Palamós were outstanding. I also found the owner a little grating. He tries so much to impersonate a Catalan pagès that I thought he was a joke. OK, maybe he's for real but I don't like the way he "sells" being authentic. In my view a place that might have been great 10 years ago but has had too much success for its own good.

I might have been given the royal treatment when I was last there in Sept. last year; came with the owners of Colibri and Alkimia who were well known to the owner, and we were given a chambre separé with lots of goodies and extras (althouh not all delicacies did conform to my palate's liking) that were well prepared.

I guess there's no need to mention Rafa in Roses, Pedro? :hmmm:

Is Rafa that good? It's certainly came to my mind, though.

BTW, is this its address: Sant Sebastià, 56. Tfno: 972 25 40 03

I wouldn't like to end in the wrong place.

Sant Sebastià, 56. Tfno: 972 25 40 03

That's what I have in my book.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Rafa is that mainstay of many Spanish seaside towns and fishing ports - the little unassuming bar-restaurant that has a direct pipeline to the best of the best fish and seafood that comes through the harbor entrance. Since Rafa is in Roses and Ferran is an enthusiastic customer, he's now much more famous internationally than are a Rafael in Castellón or a Felipe in Aguilas. That's called 'being in the right place at the right time'. Or, as merchants like to proclaim: "Location, location, location!"

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Watch out, I'm jumping into the fray for a week, having changed my original plans. Does anyone know this little hotel in Peratallada called Castel de Peratallada? I'll be there from 8/16-21 if anyone is around.

Pedro, Rafa is great. I've been there two or three times and will be there maybe more than once on this next trip. Any more recommendations I'll greatly appreciate. I'm spending a week near Andorra, but will start a thread RIGHT NOW.

I must also voice my opinion: Rafa's really is that good (despite my huge expectations). I raved about it in some detail in a recent "Restaurants in Catalonia" thread. As I make clear though, I only found out about it in the first place on eGullet.

Booking is essential as many were turned away, even on a Tuesday lunchtime. One other thing that's worth knowing (and is a further sign of its popularity) is that the Sra. will only accept reservations one week in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone provide me with a url for El Celler de Can Roca and an approximation on price for the tasting menu? My father is coming to visit in September and I'm planning on taking him there.

Thanks.

Silly.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Afaik, they don't have a web page. Regarding the tasting menu, a couple of weeks ago they charged me 75€ per person. A bargain, I should say.

Josep Roca, who's in charge of the dining room and the wine cellar, is in love with German wines and one of the best sumillers in the country. Give him some indications on budget and preferences and let him do the work. You'd hardly be dissapointed.

I'll thoroughly describe my meal there when I come back from London, but after having visited El Bulli, Can Fabes, Sant Pau and Can Roca, the latter would be the chosen one to return if I had just one shot. Then Can Fabes, El Bulli and probably I wouldn't return to Sant Pau in quite some time. Carme Ruscalleda's resturant was a disappointment in more than one way.

Returning to El Celler de Can Roca, this is their address and phone/fax number:

El Celler de Can Roca

Carretera Taialà, nº 40 - Girona

Phone: +34 972 222 157

Fax: +34 972 485 259

Thanks for the info Pedro. I'm eagerly awaiting your review of Can Roca. btw, you mentioned staying in Pals. do you know any good hotels or places to stay in the area that you would recommend? Our plan is to leave BCN Friday night and return Monday morning. We want to visit Girona and the surrounding areas. Since we've already been to most beaches in the area, as well as Figueres, we are looking to do more historical/interesting sightseeing than just sitting on a beach.

Thanks again,

Silly.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

Thanks for the info Pedro. I'm eagerly awaiting your review of Can Roca. btw, you mentioned staying in Pals. do you know any good hotels or places to stay in the area that you would recommend? Our plan is to leave BCN Friday night and return Monday morning. We want to visit Girona and the surrounding areas. Since we've already been to most beaches in the area, as well as Figueres, we are looking to do more historical/interesting sightseeing than just sitting on a beach.

Thanks again,

Silly.

For your purposes and given the duration of the trip, I'd probably call for a stay in a Girona based hotel. I can't recommend you any hotel in the city which I've stayed in, simply because I haven't, but I'm sure you can find some that will serve you well. There are a couple of 4-stars in the Guía Campsa, with some 3-stars also.

If you feel like driving some miles, Mas Pau and Mas Torrent are options to consider, though I would place them on the expensive segment. Pals, Peratallada and Ullastret would be worth the trip in terms of sightseeing. I'm sure that the area located to the west of Girona, Olot and La Garrotxa, are worth the visit, but I haven't visited them since I was a child.

We spent a couple of nights in the Hotel Carlemany in Girona, a few years ago. It was nice, very modern, a bit bland, but comfortable. We took a taxi to dinner at Can Roca, which is out of town. I don't know any other places to stay in town. Campsa lists three others in town and four more within 25 kilometers.

I'm not surprised to hear someone love Can Roca. We were impressed. I'm both sorry and disappointed to hear Sant Pau was so disappointing. We ate well there a few years ago. I seem to recall that it was a bit more expensive than other places, but the food was excellent.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Do you know any good hotels or places to stay in the area that you would recommend?

November 2003 I staid in Hotel Condal, quite in the center of town. A single bedroom only costed 26 € and I found it fine. From the hotel, it was only a 6 € cab drive to Can Roca.

Campsa doesn't list the Condal, but Michelin does.

Telephone: 972 20 44 62

Fax: 972 20 44 62

Rooms: 38 rm Prices: 28/48€

Comments:

Simple, family-run hotel with charming rooms, although a little dull in decoration, most have shower trays in the bathrooms.

It's one block closer to the center of town that the Carlemany. It's possible you may have to pay the higher price for a double room. As I recall, a single/double at the Carlemany runs 100/110€.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Thanks again,

Silly.

Hello Silly,

I agree with Bux about Carlemany to stay, HOTEL CARLEMANY ****

Adreça: Plaça Miquel Santaló, 17001 Girona

Telèfon: 972 211 212

Fax: 972 214 994

Web: http://www.carlemany.es

Another one could be Ciutat de Girona, HOTEL CIUTAT DE GIRONA ****

Adreça: Nord, 2 17001 Girona

Telèfon: 972 483 038

Fax: 972 483 026

Web: http://www.hotel-ciutatdegirona.com

if you like a litle romantic place near the cathedral try Bellmirall, PENSIÓ BELMIRALL **

Adreça: Bellmirall, 3 17004 Girona

Telèfon: 972 204 009

Web: http://www.grn.es/bellmirall,

Is very diferent from the others, an intermediate solution could be Costabella, but is out town if you have a car is a good solution, HOTEL COSTABELLA ***

Adreça: Avinguda de França, 61 17007 Girona

Telèfon: 972 202 524

Fax: 972 202 203

Web: http://www.hotelcostabella.com.

About the restaurants, Celler de Can Roca is the best, but you can try others like Cipresaia, Boira, Cal Ros for catalan cuisine.

Last but not least if you like escargots and have a car go to Campllonch its 20 Km. south.

I hope you enjoy your stage

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finishing up the last details for my trip to Girona, and I have a few questions about Can Roca:

How much should I expect to spend? How much is the tasting menu? what about wine pairings? I have found a few reviews on the web which point to anywhere from 75 to 175 EUR.

The other thing is, my wife isn't the greatest fan of creative cuisine, so before I drag her out there, can anyone point to a sample menu? I will go anyway with my brother, but she might decide to stay in the hotel :sad: .

Thanks,

Silly

I'm sorry to be late with my report on Can Roca. By all means, I intend to complete it by the weekend.

Nevertheless, let me advance you some info:

a) As I wrote in this same thread, the tasting menu we had, and was the most expensive and complete one, cost 75€ per person. VAT not included. I'm looking to the bill as I write this, so I guess is quite accurate. There's a charge for bread and the like of 2.4€ per person, still water at 1.80€ and coffee at 1.71€. Again, VAT not included.

b) Regarding wine, do not worry if you have a limited budget for that. You'll find quite good bottles in the 30-40€ range and even less. Of course, do not expect to find Yquem or Romanée at those prices. They're also in the wine list, like a bottle of Screaming Eagle which was opened a couple of tables from us when we lunched there.

c) I'll post the menu this weekend. It's indeed creative cuisine, but I would have a very hard time if someone is unable to compose a dinner which suits his/her taste from Can Roca's menu. But that well could be my own fault.

Yet one more question:

I need to find a decently priced restaurant in the Girona city area to take the full family (father, brother, wife and 2y.o.) on Sunday night. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, you're making this trip a delight to organize!

Silly.