• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Girona Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

pedro

I second Pedro's comments, they are usually prompt and it is definitely worth it. If you want, PM me and I can try to call locally.

SD

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

It may be that e-mail is not the most reliable way to contact them. There was a problem with our reservation as if our last e-mail was either not read or received. I felt it as just one of those things and dismissed it. The problem was resolved quickly and graciously.

I've never seen an empty table at peak service times, so I don't know that I would say it suffers from people not choosing to eat there. It's worth a hassle to dine there, but it shouldn't be a hassle to contact a restaurant. I trust you will make them aware of your problems and I'd be surprised if they don't do what they can to improve whatever the situation is that's causing the problem. I will say that service in the restaurant is impeccable and indicates they are aiming at attending to their clients' needs.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Success. I got answer to the phone tonight and am booked in on 26th October, taking my 71 year old mother for a birthday treat after she munched her way through the Fat Duck tasting menu last year. Many thanks to Silly and Pedro for your offers of help, it is what makes egullet so great , only hope I can do the same should you need anything in Bray.

Congratulations and enjoy! Of course, we do expect to read your impressions. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 months later...

I'll be in Girona for a few days in April . Our plan is to have dinner at Can Roca one evening, but we'll have 2 other nights free where we would like to something a little more casual. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Also, where would one be advised to stay when dinning at Can Roca? While in Girona we'll be staying at Hotel Ciutat. Would it be best to stay there that night or is there anything located in the countryside that is suitabley close? I've looked at Mas Pau, Mas Torrent, Mas Falgarona, and Castell d'Emporada, but they all seem to be a little farther away then I would like (I'm hoping to make it to Mas Pau later in the week.)

Edited by bobsdf (log)

Well, L'Esguard and Hispania are fine, but both are more than 40 miles away from Girona... For a good local alternative to Can Roca in a more casual style (not that Can Roca is very formal...), try Massana. Pere Massana has a way with Catalan traditions with an updated presentation - like a terrine of 'carn d'olla' (the Catalan 'pot-au-feu'), or a (pickled) escabeche rabbit, or pigs trotters with porcini. Plus a terrific cellar. Between 40 and 50 euros per person with a good wine. (A great wine will inevitably make things a lot hairier, of course...)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

Massana sounds very interesting. I'm also looking for recommendations in Girona. We will be arriving late in the evening and having lunch in Can Roca the following day, so maybe this might be a bit much the night before. Do you know of any good places for tapas/fried seafood?

Also, do you know if Massana is open for lunch on Sunday, as we might go there on our way back? Thanks for your help.

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread, but if I could answer this question I could recommend the restaurant!

When I was in Girona a few years back I ate at a restaurant whose name I've been struggling to remember ever since. In my head, it was near the archaeological museum, but this may be totally false since we found it on a day that involved a lot of walking. The restaurant itself had low arched ceilings and was "semi-formal". The menu (and this is the one thing I *can* recall) had a whole section on it for duck and foie gras cooked in various dishes.

Does anyone know what this restaurant might have been?

Si

Massana is closed un Sundays. A decent place for tapas might be Divinum, which is a good wine bar too. Fried seafood is not a very common thing in northern Catalonia...

There is another tipical place, it could be Boira in Plaça Independencia, in carretera Barcelona (near Railway station) is Tapas Bar, anb more typical is Can Manolo (near Hipercor), you can take some tapas and finish with pa amb tomaquet i pernil or some foie.

Well, L'Esguard and Hispania are fine, but both are more than 40 miles away from Girona... For a good local alternative to Can Roca in a more casual style (not that Can Roca is very formal...), try Massana. Pere Massana has a way with Catalan traditions with an updated presentation - like a terrine of 'carn d'olla' (the Catalan 'pot-au-feu'), or a (pickled) escabeche rabbit, or pigs trotters with porcini. Plus a terrific cellar. Between 40 and 50 euros per person with a good wine. (A great wine will inevitably make things a lot hairier, of course...)

Hehe, shows my American sense of distance. 40 miles is considered a reasonable CA commute for work, much less for food. :raz:

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread, but if I could answer this question I could recommend the restaurant!

When I was in Girona a few years back I ate at a restaurant whose name I've been struggling to remember ever since. In my head, it was near the archaeological museum, but this may be totally false since we found it on a day that involved a lot of walking. The restaurant itself had low arched ceilings and was "semi-formal". The menu (and this is the one thing I *can* recall) had a whole section on it for duck and foie gras cooked in various dishes.

Does anyone know what this restaurant might have been?

Si

Could it be Cal Ros?

We spent a night in Girona on our trip a few years ago and loved it. Our very modest hotel (Bellmiral) was in the middle of the historic district. We loved the winding, cobbled streets. Here's a link to a site where I have posted some photos. Enjoy your trip! France and Spain

Thanks so much for the suggestions Victor and Pepe. That's exactly what I was hoping for. When I said casual I wasn't referring to atmosphere but rather style of cuisine. I love long, multi-course dinners, but sometimes something very simple but well executed is preferable. Victor, in the past I've had great results with your recs (Coque, Combarro, Casa Lucio, L'Hardy, and Tinin sprig immediatley to mind), so I really appreciate your input. And, as always, the hairier the better!

Culinista, I was hoping the commute would be a walk. :raz:

Could it be Cal Ros?

It could have been. That's definitely one of the likely places. Looking around, it could conceivably have been Albereda. Pictures look about right, but the location isn't as it was in my head. Curse my wine-addled memory!!

Si

• 1 year later...
we will be driving from Girona to Barcelona on Sunday afternoon after eating at El Bulli, if we are still hungry  lol any suggestions on a local  secret.

elBulli is a perfect option for a Sunday afternoon in Catalunya as most of the restaurants in the region are closed. Personally, I doubt that you will have to worry about another meal, but should you be so inclined I believe Gaig in Barcelona is open on Sundays and would likely be a nice counterpoint to elBulli.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Can Roca in Girona or Can Fabes in Sant Celoni are the best options between both cities.

Then there is Hotel Ampurdán in Figueras, or Hispania in Arenys de mar and for a snail splurge Can Barris, near the airport.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Can Roca in Girona or Can Fabes in Sant Celoni are the best options between both cities.

Then there is Hotel Ampurdán in Figueras, or Hispania in Arenys de mar and for a snail splurge Can Barris, near the airport.

Can Roca is not open on Sundays and I believe Can Fabes is open for lunch only on Sundays, but I may be mistaken. Even if they were open, to do either on the same day as elBulli would be madness :raz::wink::laugh:

Twitter - @docsconz

Here's my review from where we went (and it's open Sunday for lunch).

"By contrast, the next day we ate a late lunch (for us, early for Spain) between Can Fabes and Girona that was all excitement. If people are doing the Can Fabes/El Bulli trip (by car), take a note of this place.

In Riudarenes the La Brasa restaurant (in the La Brasa Hotel) looks dingy from the outside, more like a beer hall than a restaurant. But inside it’s pure trattoria, chequered tablecloths and all, serving Cuina Catalana (and proud of it). They’re also proud of their wine list – and their own wine (about 5€ a litre). And the place is packed, so go early (by Spanish standards). A multilingual (sort of) menu, with generous portions and cheerful service. The meal was solid – both the half rabbit and braised pig cheeks were excellent. One of the dessert choices was a cheese plate – which came with 9 different Spanish cheeses. And the check (for two, including wine) was less than double what we were charged for bread and water at Can Fabes."

Michelin lists it as a Bib Gourmand in the current edition.

Can Roca is not open on Sundays and I believe Can Fabes is open for lunch only on Sundays, but I may be mistaken. Even if they were open, to do either on the same day as elBulli would be madness :raz::wink::laugh:

did i dream it or is or should i say has sergio arola opened up near rosas? :unsure: looking forward to my sunday visit to bulli going to do roca the day before! excitement starting to build now