• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you eat your corn on the cob?

I admit it -- I eat my corn-on-the-cob rather obsessively. I bite a bit off both ends, but then I have to work the rows rather systematically -- sometimes two or three rows at a time, but it drives me nuts to see those who bite right in the center and have half-eaten kernels just dangling there, out of order.

When I am getting close to finishing, I have a neat, tight little square of kernels left.

Sick, huh?

I am a left-to-rightie, as well, but my entire in-law family eat it around-and-around style. They think I am weird. I know they are! :laugh:

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener

I admit it -- I eat my corn-on-the-cob rather obsessively. I bite a bit off both ends, but then I have to work the rows rather systematically -- sometimes two or three rows at a time, but it drives me nuts to see those who bite right in the center and have half-eaten kernels just dangling there, out of order.

When I am getting close to finishing, I have a neat, tight little square of kernels left.

Sick, huh?

Freak! :raz:

The most important thing is to eat it in such a way that the butter runs all the way down your arm to your elbow.

Squeat

I'm one of those prissy eaters. I usually cut it off the cob so I don't get stuff in between my teeth. I've also been known to twist off and eat the kernels one by one. Yes, every so often I do eat it the normal way, but only when I'm in restaurants and have no choice, or if I'm being particularly lazy at home!

Sick, huh?

Freak! :raz:

The most important thing is to eat it in such a way that the butter runs all the way down your arm to your elbow.

Squeat

Yeah, well, we KNOW I'm a freak -- 'cuz I like my corn NAKED! No salt, no butter -- just the sweet 'lil kernals all on their own, row-by-row...

I was always a fan of the typewriter method, butter and salt (sometimes seasoned salt) and pepper.

However after a lot of dental work, I've been cajoled by my dentist cutting if off the cob. It's not as fun, but it tastes just as good.

Last night post-chop, I sauteed the corn in butter, red pepper flakes, a little salt and a pinch of minced garlic. Soooo good!

Actually, when I was a kid I used to pick corn in the summer on my Uncle's farm. It was so fresh and sweet we'd just snack on it right there in the field (no butter).

That's how Melkor and I eat most of the corn we grow...it doesn't even make it inside!

allison

it drives me nuts to see those who bite right in the center and have half-eaten kernels just dangling there, out of order.

I know the feeling ... :laugh: One can surmise a lot about an individual by the way he/she eats corn on the cob .. an entire new field for some wacko psychotherapist ... :wacko: Out of order kernels' significance? unkempt life, no doubt! :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You know, I've never given much thought to the way I tackle corn. I think I tend to a combo of typewriter method and eating around the cob. To me the best part is wiping up the leftover melted butter which with the cob and sucking on it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Butter dripping off my chin and elbows with a little bit of black pepper please

Oh, and if you're at my family's home, you'll probably just have corn and something to drink for those meals. It's too good and fleeting to not gorge on :)

But, method is top to bottom, left to right.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I don't like the typewriter fashion. I like rotating the cob and scraping my teeth against the kernels, from left to right effectively ripping them off the cob, and starting from the bottom of the cob.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I go with the combination of typewriter method and the 'round the horn method. Usually one line from left the right and then around in circles. I'd say that suggests I'm rather disorganized.

How about those little corn cob holder things. Anyone use those?

I usually make a tight left-handed grip around what is left of the stem and the leaves of the husk I have peeled from the ear (we cook the corn in the husk on the grill). My right hand is used only to steady the ear as I dig in. It ain't pretty, I'm sure, but when I have a great ear of corn in my hand, I don't give a damn.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Squeat

Yeah, well, we KNOW I'm a freak -- 'cuz I like my corn NAKED! No salt, no butter -- just the sweet 'lil kernals all on their own, row-by-row...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i take a bite at one end then ,,,, slowly pull some of the kernals up then in the elusive type wrighter style taught to me by the sholin monks, i slowly pull the kernals up row by row clean cob no fuzzies when im done . and of corse i dip it in a gallon jug of butter and dump a trucker load of salt that would make any city in winter time jelous :biggrin::wub: corn on da cob .... egg sell ent .

I believe the technical terms for corn on the cob eating techniques are known as:

A ROUNDER - eats around the cob

A CHANNELER - uses the typewriter/carriage return method

I am a wealth of useless factoids... :biggrin:

edited to add: I'm a rounder, myself.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol