• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Foodman - A man with no plan...sort of

FoodMan

Thanks for the explanation for guanabana. I just knew it by another name.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My lunch story:

So it’s Friday, and I might have my lunch at my desk Monday-Thursday but on Friday I have to got out. Even if it is just by myself. So today I decide to visit a place near my work I will call “The Greek Deli (TGD)”. TGD used to be a favorite lunch spot run by a burly large Greek guy. Then it closed down for no apparent reason. A few months later TGD opens up, renovated, with a new uninteresting menu and a new non-Greek manager. I never ate there during that period.

A few months ago a sign goes up saying “Original owner is back”. So, I decide to head over there today and try one of their good gyros. Well, the burly large Greek guy is replaced by an old couple, the husband at the register is the sweetest friendliest person you could hope to meet at a place like this. He talks to me and even forgets to give me my receipt because he was too busy trying to figure out where I’m from and if I am related to Egypt’s “Nassir”.

While I was enjoying my very good gyro with fries he wanders to my table with two rice puddings and gives me one saying with a strong Greek accent “rice pudding, just like in the old country”. I thank him but instead of leaving he sits down and starts chatting so I ask about the Greek guy who used to run the place, he thinks I am talking about the managers who ran it after it closed and I swear he almost tears up and says that he just abandoned the place and ran off with some money. Then he realizes I was asking about the Greek owner, well he claims that guy left his wife and kids, declared bankruptcy and went to Florida to become a “gigolo”, but there was too much competition so he is now painting bridges!!! Our conversation ends when more customers walk in and he finishes by saying something along the lines of, “Greeks aren’t what they used to be, they want money fast”.

I finish my pudding, thank the nice older man and wish him luck with his business.

So much for a quiet lunch alone.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Hehe, wow, what an interesting encounter...

While I was in college one of my favorite places to go to lunch was this little deli near the Music Dept. Building, run by this Greek man named Taso. The deli itself was known as 'Daffy Deli' and had an (I'm sure non-copyright legal) version of Daffy Duck on the sign, which was bizarre on its own, but Taso, and members of his family, would always come out and just chat with customers at their table as they had lunch, very friendly bunch. Maybe it is a Greek thing...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Dinner was Sardine fritters from a recipe Mario Batali demonstarted on Molto Mario. The fritters were fried in olive oil, a first for me. I honestly am not sure if using olive oil made that much of a difference. Maybe I should use a better quality oil, but that would really be a waste.

here is a picture. They are not much to look at but they were tasty. I had some of that "hummus" aioli left and it went great with them.

i10478.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I didn't realize that you could order it from King Arthur. I used to order from them but the stuff is available in the groceries here so I haven't checked them out in a long time. It just seems kind of silly to me that White Lily isn't readily available here.

I order it direct from White Lily.

White Lily

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We had a popular LEbanese breakfast today. I had this at leat 2 or 3 times a week growing up in Beirut.

It's really a grilled cheese sandwich in Pita bread and the cheese used is normally a Greek or Bulgarian Kashkaval. I also add olives and mint leaves to mine.

We had mint-cinnamon flavored black tea with it.

i10480.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Been working around the house all day. No time for lunch, I had a big bowl of Mtabla ....again.

I had an early afternoon snack of Newcastle Ale and Goldfish (the cheese crackers)

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

For dinner we had pizza night. I had prepared and refrigerated the dough last night.

The pizzas were smeared with freshly made pesto instead of tomato sauce (told you pesto will show up this week). the toppings were:

mushrooms

yellow squash

red bell pepper

red onions

mozzarella cheese

Here are the toppings and pesto (i swear it looks greener in person)

i10481.jpg

Pizza getting ready to go onto the hot stone in the 500 degree oven

i10482.jpg

pizza out

i10483.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Yum, your other breakfast, with kashkaval, mint, and olives looks so good too! For the Mtabla - does peeled wheat mean wheat berries, like you can buy in the bulk section, or is it a specific Middle Eastern preparation? And the dried corn - the same stuff we might add to soups?

For dinner we had pizza night. I had prepared and refrigerated the dough last night.

The pizzas were smeared with freshly made pesto instead of tomato sauce (told you pesto will show up this week). the toppings were:

mushrooms

yellow squash

red bell pepper

red onions

mozzarella cheese

Elie

Oh, yum.... Gotta have pizza like that soon; however, I'm sure no dough I would make or buy would come near yours. Thanks for the inspiration, though!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Yum, your other breakfast, with kashkaval, mint, and olives looks so good too! For the Mtabla - does peeled wheat mean wheat berries, like you can buy in the bulk section, or is it a specific Middle Eastern preparation? And the dried corn - the same stuff we might add to soups?

Abra-

Peeled wheat is exactly that, it should say peeled wheat on the bag/bin not just "wheat berries". if you go to a middle eastern or even the middle eastern aisle in your mega-mart store you should find them there with no problem.

Regular wheat berries still have the outside "peel" on so you potentially could ue them but they will take a MUCH longer soak and longer cooking time.

You are correct about the dried corn, I even used popcorn corn once. It came out ok :smile:

I'm glad you like my breakfast, this combo is an all time favorite of mine.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

mushrooms

yellow squash

red bell pepper

red onions

mozzarella cheese

Elie

Oh, yum.... Gotta have pizza like that soon; however, I'm sure no dough I would make or buy would come near yours. Thanks for the inspiration, though!

Susan, why not? If you have a food processor and some time you should turn out great dough with no problem.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sunday breakfast:

quiche made with a melange of seasonal vegetables ;a.k.a leftover pizza toppings from last night sauteed in butter; and kashkaval cheese with some extra chives tossed in the mix.

buttered, toasted homemade sourdough slices

and of course,

black coffee (not pictured here)

i10498.jpg

i10499.jpg

We'll be going to my in-laws soon so I'm not sure when the next entry would be, but hopefully Lebanese beans are on the dinner menu for tonight.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Susan, why not? If you have a food processor and some time you should turn out great dough with no problem.

Elie

I appreciate the encouragement. I think I just don't have enough desire to master the art of making pizza dough. It's one of those things I keep saying I'm going to do and don't. If I made it a priority, I guess I would, but as I mentioned in a recent post I don't enjoy baking of any kind nearly as much as I do cooking other foods.

I will use those topping ideas on a pizza with purchased dough sometime, though!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Sunday dinner, Lebanese rice and beans, the recipe straight from my mom's kitchen. The green onions tossed in at the last minute is my own touch though.

Tabasco sauce has always been a favorite since my very early teens especially with this dish.

i10533.jpg

I had a nectarine and some more Guanabana ice cream for dessert.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sunday dinner, Lebanese rice and beans, the recipe straight from my mom's kitchen

That looks delicious! Care to share a recipe?

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Ok, here are the approximate quantities I use to make this dish. Keep in mind that you can make it with more or less of meat, tomato paste, liquid (for a drier or wetter consistency), and so on.

Olive oil

1.5 pounds beef chuck or lamb shoulder cut into 1 inch cubes

1/2 lb. white beans soaked over night in plenty of water then drained

1 cup chopped onions

2 tbsp chopped garlic

1 bay leaf

2 Tbsp. tomato paste

1/2 Cup chopped green onions

Salt and pepper

Garnishes (optional):

1/2 Cup chopped onions mixed with 2 Tbsp (or more) of Cayenne

Tabasco sauce

In a large heavy pot brown the meat in about 1/4 cup olive oil till nice and brown all over. Add the onions and cook till soft but not brown. Add the garlic, bay leaf and beans toss everything for a minute or two. Cover the beans with about 1/2 inch of cold water. Bring to a boil, skim then lower the heat to medium low, cover and cook for about two hours or until the beans are very soft and the meat is tender. Now season with salt and pepper, then add the tomato paste and stir till it dissolves. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or less depending on how dry you want it to be. If it is too dry add a little water.

Adjust seasoning, stir in the green onions and serve sprinkled the onion/cayenne mixture and Tabasco sauce.

Here the recipe for the Lebanese rice I make to go with this or you can serve with any rice you prefer:

Lebanese Rice with Vermicelli

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Went to a nearby small deli and had a very good hot reuben sandwich with a pickle spear. I need to try my hand at making some corned beef....

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog