• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Foodman - A man with no plan...sort of

FoodMan

White Lily, the best southern biscuit flour is available from King Arthur Flour Here. Also you might see this thread on biscuits Here. Keeping the dough in the fridge overnight does very little to lower the quality of the finished product.

I didn't realize that you could order it from King Arthur. I used to order from them but the stuff is available in the groceries here so I haven't checked them out in a long time. It just seems kind of silly to me that White Lily isn't readily available here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It just seems kind of silly to me that White Lily isn't readily available here.

fifi,

Have you talked to your grocer about ordering White Lily? They (sometimes) listen to customer requests. It's worth a shot.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I may badger my Randall's manager. They did finally start carrying Hellman's Mayonessa as a result of badgering.

Elie...

Do you plan to cook any Lebanese goodies? Oh... I forgot... no plan. :biggrin:

Editted to add: Duh! Look up-thread, dummy. :laugh:

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Well after posting the link I did a search on King Arthurs website and they no longer have White Lily listed but it is in a catalog that I have. So I don't know if it is available thru them now. Sorry

Until my grocery store started carrying it, I was able to find it at an outlet mall's "gourmet" store in their baking section (White Lily, that is).

You can order directly from White Lily, though, if that helps any.

And buttermilk biscuits with scrambled eggs. . yum. Now I feel like I should make some. . .

Diana

Lunch:

leftovers from last night's chicken and rice dinner along with some more "mtabla".

There was very little leftovers and I am still pretty hungry. I hate to run over to the closest fastfood joint within walking distance (Jack in the Box or Wendy's)...but I just might do that.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Ok, just finished a Wendy's Chilli bowl. It's supposed to be rich and meaty, it was more like rich and bean-y. Doctored up with some hot sauce from the first drawer of my office desk, it did the job nicely.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Ok, just finished a Wendy's Chilli bowl. It's supposed to be rich and meaty, it was more like rich and bean-y. Doctored up with some hot sauce from the first drawer of my office desk, it did the job nicely.

Rumor has it the beef used in their chili is actually leftover hamburgers that didn't sell. Works for me. :biggrin:

Gosh, you made me hungry!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Probably the reason KA doesn't sell White Lily flour anymore is because they now have their own similar flour product called Mellow Pastry Blend #3549 in the most recent catalogue.

Nothing magical about White Lily, just a lower percentage of protein than AP. There's another low protein brand in the South called Martha White, that I always used when I lived there. Or, you can simply mix AP and cake flour, although I don't remember the proportions offhand.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Rumor has it the beef used in their chili is actually leftover hamburgers that didn't sell. Works for me. :biggrin:

Gosh, you made me hungry!

That makes sense. It could very well be leftover burger meat. Another thing I did not like about the chilli bowl is a strong tomatoey taste that gave me heartburn :sad: .

Right now I am enjoying some black seedless sweet grapes. God bless whoever invented seedless grapes.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tonight's dinner was the Lebanese flavored chicken burger. So bad news first, the patty was almost impossible to keep on the grill in one piece since it had no fillers (bread crumbs, eggs,...). So for the F&W entry I decided to make the patty a chicken breast pounded to an even thickness then marinated and grilled.

The good news was that the flavors were fantastic. The "hummus" aioli worked great with the chicken and the toasty Kaiser roll. For toppings I used crunchy bell peppers, tomatoes and shredded lettuce.

I served it with fresh French fries. Here are some pics

i10367.jpg

The hummus aioli and the other fixins

i10366.jpg

For dessert, homemade Guanabana ice cream with Cajeta.

i10368.jpg

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Gosh that looks fantastic. I really like jarred cajeta on ice cream. (I haven't had a jar around for a while so I have forgotten the brand I used to buy.)

Strangely, the caramel yogurt from Stoneyfield Farms tastes quite a bit like cajeta. The texture is different of course, but the flavor is there.

Good looking sandwich also.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Gosh that looks fantastic. I really like jarred cajeta on ice cream. (I haven't had a jar around for a while so I have forgotten the brand I used to buy.)

Strangely, the caramel yogurt from Stoneyfield Farms tastes quite a bit like cajeta. The texture is different of course, but the flavor is there.

Good looking sandwich also.

I also love Cajeta/Dulce De Leche a lot and I usually make it at home. This one is store bought not homemade.

The cajeta did not tatse too great with the rich robust flavor of Guanabana though. I much prefer the ice cream on its own.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Until my grocery store started carrying it, I was able to find it at an outlet mall's "gourmet" store in their baking section (White Lily, that is).

fifi: I believe you are in Houston?

Central Market carries White Lily flour: the all purpose and the self-rising. It comes from the HEB warehouse. If your Central Market does not have it, ask the grocery manager to call the Austin store for the order code, or to look it up in the planogram. Or leave a note for the specialty foods director: FB Godinez, and ask him to get it in for you.

Edited by foodie52 (log)

Elie, will you give us your mtabla recipe? It looks yummy and refreshing, sort of like a breakfast version of mutabbal.

Sure, it is very simple.

1 Cup peeled wheat

1/2 Cup dried white or yellow corn (not the sweet kind) – this is optional

2 to 3 cups plain yogurt (the sweeter/fresher the better)

1/2 to 1 cup cold water

Rinse the wheat and corn under cold water. Soak in plenty of water overnight. Put in a large pot and cover with plenty of water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 2 hours or longer till the wheat is very soft and the corn is cooked through. Add more water if it gets too dry. By the end of the process you should have a very thick porridge-like mixture (called Kamhiya) which is excellent hot with a large knob of butter and a good sprinkle of salt stirred in.

Let the mixture cool and refrigerate. Do not mix the yogurt in the hot wheat/corn mixture or it will curdle. When cold add the yogurt and enough water to attain a thick chowder-like consistency. You can make it a little thinner and serve in a tall glass as well. Refrigerate and serve cold as a snack or side dish. I like my portion seasoned with salt. But some prefer it plain.

Let me know if you have any questions

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

After reading the Chronicle's review, here, a co-worker and myself decided to try Mayuri out for lunch. I have to say, we have a favoriter new Indian lunch buffet now. Their fried Pakodas, Crispy Vadas (best ever), Chicken tikka and wonderful ginger chutney alone are worth the trip. They also have fantastic Gulab Jamun (sp?).

The downside: After trying to eat smaller portions for the last month or so, I am so stuffed I'm not sure I can have dinner.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Can you please explain what guanabana and cajeta are for this northerner.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Cajeta is a confection from Mexico, specifically from the city of Celaya in Guanajuato state. Its a spreadable "Dulce de Leche" or milk caramel, frequently used on bread and in cakes.

Guanabana is a type of tropical fruit.

http://www.tropico2000.com/guanabana.htm

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Cajeta is a confection from Mexico, specifically from the city of Celaya in Guanajuato state. Its a spreadable "Dulce de Leche" or milk caramel, frequently used on bread and in cakes.

Guanabana is a type of tropical fruit.

http://www.tropico2000.com/guanabana.htm

What he said :smile:. Guanabana pulp is available frozen at Latin/Hispanic stores, it also makes a killer smoothie.

Sorry I could not get back to u sooner.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Dinner tonight was very light and quick giving me time to work on other baked goods. I tossed some chopped tomatoes, fresh cheese, basil, olive oil, s&p together and served like a "bruschetta" on top of toasty garlicky Kaiser rolls.

i10394.jpg

I got a chance to get my sourdough ready to be baked. It is now in the fridge and I will bake it tomorrow or the day after

i10395.jpg

breakfast tomorrow morning is

i10396.jpg

i10397.jpg

...Sticky buns with pecans and raisins. These are also resting in the fridge. All I have to do in the morning is heat the oven and bake.

I will try and get the finished buns' pictures downloaded in the morning before I leave for work. unfortunatly I might not get a chance to do this till tomorrow evening.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks! Even though I'm not a baker, it was good to see the transformation of your night-before preparation into the rolls and coffee in the morning. Yum. Have a great day... looks like you're off to a good start!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.