• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip USA: Las Vegas To Manhattan

Daniel

Thank you for the advice, but i am going to stick with the southern route. My friend just went from New York to Atlanta in a day, so i think i will be able to save some time in my over planning for that time limit. Another thing is, i need to go to the Salt Lick immediately! For that experience alone, I am willing to put myself through the grueling experience. :biggrin: That and buying a jackalope in that souvenier shop on the way to the grandious canyon.

Also this girl told me about a place in texas by Bass Hall where you drink margaritas in the backyard and all they sell are fajitas and something else?Anyone know what she was talking about

So to give you the answer behind the majority of stupid things done by men, "its for a girl"

Hell, I once jumped out of a perfectly good airplane to get to know a girl, so who am I to criticize? :laugh:

When you cruise through Atlanta, stop by the Varsity for lunch! Use the Spring St. exit from I-75/85 Northbound. Hang a left on Spring St., then a left onto North Avenue, and you're there in two blocks. It'll be on the right, can't miss it.

If you're taking I-85/I-95N from there, it's 18 hours by car. Word of warning, most SouthEast state troopers don't react well to vehicles doing triple figure speeds. ("Bwoy, y'all travelin' mighty fast...time fer y'all to meet our judge...")

Good luck!

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

So to give you the answer behind the majority of stupid things done by men, "its for a girl"

Hell, I once jumped out of a perfectly good airplane to get to know a girl, so who am I to criticize? :laugh:

I also wanted to tell esthers that another one of my friends parents told me to go on the roadfood website this weekend. The site seems really helpfull. Tested out the site this weekend while in upstate new york. They know their stuff.

Haha.. Thats pretty funny. Just as long as she didnt jump out of the plane to get rid of you.. :biggrin: Just kidding, I like how you phrased that "a perfectly good airplane"

i'd say don't forget to bring the mini-thins, but they would blunt your appetite. so i'll just go with good luck and godspeed - and don't miss the southern route if you can help it. :)

i'd say don't forget to bring the mini-thins, but they would blunt your appetite. so i'll just go with good luck and godspeed - and don't miss the southern route if you can help it. :)

my tip: regardless of route do NOT mix jerky and coca-cola. the effects on occupants of car can be lethal, and in this political climate it may not be safe for other reasons as well.

Pork Rinds and Dr Pepper, when properly harnessed, will get you an extra 4 or 5 miles per gallon. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

oooh...also - if you are sunflower seed muncher, do spit the shells out. my ex apparently used to eat the shells and all with sunflower seed.

well one fine day he ate a bag of them between chicago and atlanta, and wound up going to the emergency room because of an umm...impaction. :blink:

Edited by tryska (log)

well one fine day he ate a bag of them between chicago and atlanta, and wound up going to the emergency room because of an umm...impaction. :blink:

Interesting. I would have thought that the shells would mean more fiber and make the stools loose.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

well one fine day he ate a bag of them between chicago and atlanta, and wound up going to the emergency room because of an umm...impaction.  :blink:

Interesting. I would have thought that the shells would mean more fiber and make the stools loose.

I have heard there were also severe problems scratching caused by these shells. Haha. I never thought i would have an appropriate time to share that little gem of knowledge to a large group. HAHA.

On a different note.. Does anyone know which states along the trip dont have open container laws in them.. I remember when driving from AZ to California in my friends car there are states out west where a passanger can drink in the car..

why you planning on drinking and driving? anyways i'm glad you got to share about the scratching the shells cause. you're absolutely right. eating sunflower seeds is dangerous business folks.

In Louisiana, all of the passengers can be as loaded as sailors on leave, open containers for the lot. The driver, on the other hand, needs to be as sober as a churchmouse and nothing alcoholic open at all (anyone see a loophole in this rediculous law? :wacko: -this is a truly strange place that I live in).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

On a different note.. Does anyone know which states along the trip dont have open container laws in them.. I remember when driving from AZ to California in my friends car there are states out west where a passanger can drink in the car..

do not go to utah with alcohol in your car. i believe it is completely against the law there. we road-tripped from los angeles to boulder last summer with a lot of stuff, including my premium liquors (which i didn't want to trust to the truck), in the back-seat. we spent a couple of nights at a lovely b&b in the valley of the gods (b&b shares the name)--the owners told us what we were doing was strictly speaking prohibited. of course, the next morning we were stopped for speeding outside of moab (i was going the speed of traffic, honest) and it was the knowledge that i had prohibited items in my back-seat that prevented me from getting sassy. that and the fact that the cop in question looked very scary.

In Louisiana, all of the passengers can be as loaded as sailors on leave, open containers for the lot. The driver, on the other hand, needs to be as sober as a churchmouse and nothing alcoholic open at all (anyone see a loophole in this rediculous law? :wacko: -this is a truly strange place that I live in).

Actually, In Louisiana they just passed a law banning open containers. The law takes effect on August 15th so if your trip is before then, you are set. I'm pretty sure that Shreveport to Atlanta is a 12 hour drive, so if you are starting out from Dallas or Ft. Worth, that's a 17 hour day to get to Atlanta. That should put you in Shreveport in the morning which is early to go through the drive-thru daiquiri, but I'll be thinking of one you can drive through which shouldn't take you too far off I-20. I always love getting the to-go cup with the staw taped on it, so it is a "closed container." Good luck on your drive.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/south...05/13/42135.htm

Links to the first article i found on google that says that LA has changed its laws.

do not go to utah with alcohol in your car. i believe it is completely against the law there...

Mongo is correct. It is illegal to have any open container of alcohol in the "passenger compartment" of a vehicle in Utah (This, of course begs the question, "What about vans and RVs?"). It is also illegal to have any alcohol in your possession without a Utah Tax Stamp.........thus any alcolhol, open or not, that is not bought at the Utah State Liquor Store is illegal!! Most officers do not agressively enforce the latter, except as a pretext to search for other "illegal substances" :rolleyes:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

Yeh, utah does not sound like my kind of place.. I went there in Park City when i was younger and before i had such "adult" interests. But i am taking the southern route. I made a mistake, i will be sleeping night one about an hour passed tuscon. Do people think i can make it from an hour outside of tuscon to Salt Lick before they close at 10 at night. I will most likely be leaving at 6 am.

Ok. Havent gotten too much help here in terms of local stop recommendations.. But i certainly appreciate your well wishes.. I am off tomorrow.. I will post pictures once i get back in a few weeks.. Thanks for the support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey now.. I made it.. Took the southern route. Had a lot of time, spent a almost 16 hours in New Orleans. No tickets.. Pulled over once. Didnt eat at a chain, actually had to try one mini burger at Krystal. Since i covered a bunch of different regions should i write the reviews here or in the appropriate states. Have a bunch of pictures. went to 14 restaurants or so.. Where should i post this?

Since i covered a bunch of different regions should i write the reviews here or in the appropriate states. Have a bunch of pictures. went to 14 restaurants or so.. Where should i post this?

Here!!!

I've done I-80 across and back and I-40 one way but haven't done "the southern route". Can't wait to see what I'm missing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

As we patiently wait, Where's the update ; with pics :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

:laugh: HAHA..  Yeh she is from Manhattan and never drove a car before.  However, she is legally capable of having one however.  :laugh:

Daniel

For you non-believers, this can be true. I never drove a car till I was 30 years old, 'cause God knows they can be a time and money consuming liability in Manhattan!

Upon learning, I still neglected to learn (till later) how to drive standard transmission and ended up taking a road trip, uh huh, through East Germany and its environs in 1989 with a fellow that did have that skill.

A person is REALLY dependent when they can not drive a car.

Be nice, Daniel.

And remember that ladies need to use the restrooms more often... :wink:

Edited because I missed the LAST PAGE of posts. Duh. Well...hope it went well! :wacko:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

My apologies to anyone from West Virgina, but that was the worst part of the entire drive.

Poor 'ole West Virginia. I do feel the need to defend it...

Not a native, but lived there for four years.

It is like a beautiful woman who wears a long loose dress of an unappealing style.

And to top it off, she is not rich nor usually terribly well educated.

But the charms are there...they are secret and they are not shown easily to 'outsiders'.

West Virginia has some of the most gorgeous countryside in the entire world, and you can find decent places and even excellent places to dine. But they are never easily accessible nor even well-touted to the casual traveller...

It is a place that is not terribly interested in PR or in visitors!

As a state, that may not make them look too great to outsiders, but in a rather old-fashioned way...they only want to answer to themselves.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)