• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rx Restaurant-New Chef, Same Reasons

tim olivett

Byob, we brought two bottles and left a half bottle for the waiter.

(Paris has a new rule that you can bring home unfinished wine, what's the rule in Philly? --Not that I mind, the staff seems to like it!)

to my knowledge the rule is: if you brought it, you can take it--in fact, i read the actual laws about alcohol in restaurants without a lcense and it kinda surprised me how strict it was about how you couldn't even have open wine in the kitchen for cooking, and other pretty harsh restrictions.

apparently no one pays attention to that.

but anyway, yeah, if you bring it, you can take it. if you buy it, you can't.

I think byl aw you can even BYOB to any restaurant if I am not mistaken, even if it's not a BYOB. Isnt that somethin' but I am fuzzy on the details...

Dough can sense fear.

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_27885_1177_26278.jpg

I finally made it to RX last night and we had a nice dinner with friends.

We had an 8:30 reservation which was, turns out, the first seating after a private rehearsal dinner. I had shown up early and it turns out I know the bride and groom so I hung out with the huge crowd until they filed away. Through the groom's dad, I met Greg who is the owner and I told him I was a proud gulleteer finally getting to try Rx.

After getting a "complimentary" round of wine from the house left over by the throngs, we got right down to ordering.

I had the scallops which was the last order left by then. They were quite good, full flavored and maybe the "heaviest" scallop dish I have tried with bits of foie gras and a healthy (or "un" if you think of it) underlayer of fat mixed with a tart concoction of apple and rhubarb. My wife had the romaine salad (very good with strips of chorizo as an interesting touch). Someone had the calamari which I felt was a must try given Andrew's recommendation. Again very good preparation but IMHO it was just fried calamari at the end of the day. Another friend ordered an app portion of the pasta which was a winner. Fresh made tube pasta with heavy scents of truffle and morels. I jealously wished it were at my plate setting. gulleteer emptor - If you think truffles taste like dirt then skip it.

For dinner I had the hanger steak which is an old fave of mine, being a big sucker for french bistro fare and growing up on this cut before it became "hip" rather than peasant food. IT was perfectly and simply prepared with a side of sauteed spinach in good olive oil and a knoll of mashed potatoes. Someone had the bronzino and apart from being annoyed by bones (I warned him!), it was well recevied as well as the accompanying peas and rice. My wife had the halibut which I thought was very good although she thought it was too much like an "everything" bagel in her mind. Uh, thats sort of the point with this one I think. The jet black lentils were terrific with a vinegar note to them.

Someone ordered the chicken (another Andrew rec) and there was nothing left at the end of it all. I thought the onion marmalade was a winning side.

Greg came by again to see how things were which was the undercurrent of the service there. Very friendly and attentive. When we told him of our appetizer selection that we had, he said his fave was the sashimi. A few minutes later, an order appeared at the table in front of 3 stuffed faces and 1 courageous gulleteer. I happily had the lions share of a very interesting mixture of avocado and seasoned cukes among fresh slices of Ono. This, as well as the pasta, was garnished with microgreens that I could not identify but they were terrific. There were, like, arugula shoots in there somewhere I am sure.

For dessert we all shared chai infused creme brulee topped with pomegranate molasses (pucker score of 9), chocolate bread pudding, flourless chocolate cake and key lime pie made by Greg's mom. The bread pudding won the "dessert d'table" without question.

Having said all that, total bill for 4 people was a reasonable $200 which included 25% tip. Another reason to sacrifice a first growth to the BYO gods.

Rx is just like Andrew had said in far fewer words. A neighborly restaurant with good wholesome fresh food and friendly service. Easy on the wallet. Easy to return to - next time I am bee lining for that pasta if it is still there.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Had a similar experience a week ago. It was exceptional and very delectable.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping up this thread to mention a recent dinner at Rx. It remains one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia. The food is still very good--this time around, I had some very good mussels and a terrific roasted chicken dish-- and at $25 for a three-course prix fixe, is a great deal. Something I haven't seen mentioned is that they have a really large selection of desserts (ten or so choices). The one that stood out for me this time was a yogurt panna cotta; Greg described it as an ideal summer dessert, and I'd agree.

I was thinking at dinner about Capaneus's idea that BYOBs are Philadelphia's equivalent of European bistros/trattorie, and so forth. Rx is about as close to that as it comes; it's relaxed, inexpensive and very good food. Sort of a comfort restaurant, at least for me.

Used to go to Rx for New year's every year and occasionally in between. But as I move further and further away, I make it there less and less. I love this place though and plan to go back soon.

At the recent "real food, real beer and the rest is history" event their 16 spice lamb ribs were definitely my favorite sample of the day. This was my reminder that I ought to go back soon.

gallery_52518_5017_438509.jpg

Edited by Jack Sprat (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. Why have I neglected Rx all this time? Certainly through no fault of theirs. I was there this week with a few wine geeks who overloaded the table with glasses and bottles. This can frequently spook the staff but it was not an issue. The food is actually better than I had recalled. I had a skate and fresh porcini risotto entree and a beet salad to start. Tiramisu for dessert. Cozy is the key word. It's a great little place and I will not take so long to be back there.

Next time I am trying the snozberry dessert. What you say? Who ever heard of a snozberry? Well, since I can't ever search the dreaded 2 letter word on eG, next time I know what search term to use to find the Rx thread.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

• 1 year later...

Went to Rx this weekend. Everything was delicious. The only negative was that after the server came to the table to tell us the specials, he returned for our order and to tell us they were out of the appy we were going to order (calimari - on the menu) as well as one of the specials (the ribs). This was at 8:00 on Saturday. The owner was very nice, and visited with an explanation after we asked the waiter how you run out of a menu staple on a Sat. night.

Salads (beet salad, romaine) were good but VERY small for the price ($8). The Waluu, Monk fish and the steak were all very good. Desserts (chocolate bread pudding and some form of banana pie) were also really tasty, and a comped apple crisp baked thingy was appreciated.

Will definitely go back for ribs, but will call ahead and reserve the order.

I belch, therefore, I ate...