• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails in Atlanta

gwilson

Although I'm mainly a wine person, there are times when I'm in the mood for a nice well-made cocktail. (And I do like beer, too, but that's another thread.)

So where do you go for drinks? The one place I can somewhat recommend is Horizon in Morningside on Highland. A while back I had a great martini made with Hendricks (which may be why it was so good). Just a whiff of the vermouth and none of those little ice crystals that I find annoying. Haven't had anything else there, haven't been back since, and don't know if the staff has changed at all. But I would go back for another martini at least. (And they have free tapas during happy hour on Wednesdays.)

-Greg

I haven't been to Halo, but I've heard that it's nice. I'll have to check them out - maybe the anniversary party.

I've been in Atlanta for 11 years now, and I still haven't been to Bone's or Vickery's. I'm more apt to go to Vickery's though for cocktails though. Bone's more for a meal. But I should try to get to both at some point.

Thanks for the suggetions.

Oh, and I know this will sound odd, but the best Long Island Iced Tea that I have had in a very long time (maybe ever) was at Dave & Buster's in Gwinnett (where I live). I was in the mood for a cocktail recently, and was in that area. I was really just killing time - had nothing to do that night, so I thought I would have a couple of drinks and shoot the bad guys. lol I wasn't sure what I wanted and the bartender suggested a TNT (premium LIT & you get to keep the glass) - I knew it was a spiel thing, but I ordered one anyway. And it was one of the few LITs that have actually tasted like iced tea - it was truly amazing. I ended up drinking three and felt quite good afterwards. :)

-Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went to Vickery's the other night, and I liked it. Even though I didn't have a cocktail. I asked the bartender (Chrissy?) if she knew how to make an Americano - no. Then I asked if they carried Hendrick's (which makes a fabulous martini) - no. So I had a glass of wine. Which was probably good, because I had been drinking wine earlier anyway. This was Wednesday night, and it seemed a bit slow. But I liked the atmosphere. I'll probably go back at some point.

-Greg

Been to HALO... Not bad the music was good the night I was their and the steps that lead into the roof is something... My biggest rave about the place was that they actually have PBR on tap. I had to have a cup (yes a plastic Solo cup). Drinks were reasonably priced and the seating was plentiful enough for my group to gather on a couch and actually be able to have a conversation.

BS

• 1 month later...

Best Martini: Highland Tap in Virginia Highlands.

Best Margarita: Sala in Va-Hi

Best Beer selection: Vortex Midtown/Lil 5

That wraps it up...For wine, I'd say Eno on 5th or South City Kitchen on Crescent.

"have a sense of humor about things...you'll need it" A. Bourdain

• 3 weeks later...

Halo is cool for a hip vibe

I like Joel for the LIK (Life is Knowledge) Cocktail - it comes with a homemade lollipop!

Fritti for awesome an Espresso Martini

Rathbun's is the bomb for the vodka mojito - one of the best drinks I've ever had.

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com