• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Tavern

Randi

Two words:  CASA VASCA.   Good local place, and they have a parking lot.  Terrific sangria, great food; been going there for years.

141 Elm Street

973-465-1350

I concur. We brought Mr. and Mrs. Mayhaw Man there recently and we had some wonderful food there, as usual. Its been the consistently best Iberian restaurant we've been to in the area in the last 4 years.

Does Casa Vasca have a broader menu?

Yes, but not ridiculously so.

From 15W, you have to get on Rt 21, you must have missed that first turn off (on the left) off the exit ramp. All along McCarter Hwy (Rt 21), there are signs at every underpass. However, you are coming from the side closer to Spanish Tavern, so the very first sign would have been the "turn here" sign, so is easy to miss. You were right there at Iberian Penninsula, I'm surprised you didn't stay there, meeting some friends?

Also, you parked on Elm??? You were probably a block from Casa Vasca. :laugh: Next time drop us a line, we may join you. Any excuse to go to the Ironbound.

Or better yet, next time try Casa Vasca!! :rolleyes: In addition to the food, I just love the neighborhood feel of the place, and they always make us feel welcome.

In general, I don't think you're going to find more than the standard fare at most places in the Ironbound, but I don't think that's a bad thing--just the reality of what they are. Adega Grill is a bit 'fancier' in the way they do some of the traditional dishes (i.e., flaming a whole chorizo in a ceramic dish tableside), but in general, the menu is still like most other restaurants 'down neck.' I do think there are a lot of mediocre spots, however--and you certainly hit one last night!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Yes, but not ridiculously so.

From 15W, you have to get on Rt 21, you must have missed that first turn off (on the left) off the exit ramp. All along McCarter Hwy (Rt 21), there are signs at every underpass. However, you are coming from the side closer to Spanish Tavern, so the very first sign would have been the "turn here" sign, so is easy to miss. You were right there at Iberian Penninsula, I'm surprised you didn't stay there, meeting some friends?

Also, you parked on Elm??? You were probably a block from Casa Vasca. :laugh: Next time drop us a line, we may join you. Any excuse to go to the Ironbound.

Yup we parked on Elm.. We were more then excited to see our car still park outside after dinner. On Elm, we smelled charcoal burning from what was most likey a Portugese BBQ place. On any other night I would have walked around to check out what was going on.. Damn you trim spa!!!

The Iberian Pennisula looked a little too classy for what we were dressed for.. It has like a wedding catering classy place feel to it.. But again, that was my take from the outside.

Casa Vasca seems like my next place to go to.. That would be great to meet people there..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I thought Casa Vasca was decent on my one visit but I'm less enthused than others about it. IMHO quite likely one of the very best places in Ironabound is Seabra's Marisqueria. It's on a side street off Ferry, has a clientele that is 90% Portuguese folks from the neighborhood and sometimes even the waiters speak little English. But the service is good and the food terrific. Lots of fresh seafood and the day's fresh fish (still whole) is on ice in the kitchen window to view as you walk in.

We finally got to Marisquria by accident a couple of months ago. I agree it is excellent.

My new theory of eating "levels" in Newark...

Newbies to the Ironbound go to Spanish Tavern or Forno's (oy! At least ST is decent, Forno's sucks.) Eventually they move on to one of the places with "Iberia" in the name, and some rodizio, gradually working to the intermediate level of neighborhood places like Spanish Sangria and Casa Vasca (excellent fish specials there, btw).

Marisqueria is for the advanced, those wanting to eat their fish whole and gambas with the heads on, and not those who automatically order paella at any Spanish/Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant.

:raz:

We finally got to Marisquria by accident a couple of months ago. I agree it is excellent.

It will also likely be appearing shortly on a certain show on the Travel Channel...

My favorite dish there by far is the Gambas Mozambique... Think GIGANTIC heads-on prawns in a spicy sauce with paprika.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host