• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Tavern

Randi

I googled this and also did an eG search but couldn't find anything substantial on this restaurant. (I did see that Rachel said she'd never go back there, but didn't see a post saying why...)

I see they have a Newark location as well as a Mountainside location. I am looking for info on the one in Newark (but I assume the food is the same at both?)

I am attending a convention at the Newark Airport Marriott in a couple of weeks and people were talking about going out to dinner to a Spanish or Portuguese restaurant.

Someone highly recommended Spanish Tavern so I thought I would turn to the eG "experts"...yea or nay?

If nay, any others you'd recommend?

It has to have parking, as we will be coming in 2 or 3 cars and one or two of the folks in the group have some mobility challenges. So a parking lot would be a great advantage.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

No, No, No, a thousand times no. Do not go to Spanish Tavern. And while you are at it, don't go to Forno's either.

If you want Portuguese I reccommend Seabra's Mediterranean Manor or Tony De Caneca. Campino was pretty good too. For Spanish, Casa Vasca all the way.

If you want some other suggestions do a search on "ironbound" using the eG search engine or the eG google search.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No, No, No, a thousand times no. Do not go to Spanish Tavern. And while you are at it, don't go to Forno's either.

What he said!! Jason knows of what he speaks.

Casa Vasca, DEFINITELY. And although I'm a big fan of Adega Grill, imho, CV is a more 'authentic' Ironbound experience. And it has its own parking lot! Regardless of where you end up, you might want to make a reservation if you're going with a big group; many of these places are really busy 7 days a week.

Do let us know where you end up!! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The amount of salt that Spanish Tavern uses is unfathomable.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

If someone has mobility problems, I'd go with Seabra's Mediterranean Manor over Casa Vasca. The seating at CV is very tight, the bar is very smokey and I don't think there's handicapped access. Med Manor definitely has an entrance ramp, but I don't think the rest room is handicapped accessible.

10 blocks to Spanish Tavern...

Jason - why the resounding no? Can you be more specific? Did you have a bad experience? Is it because of the salt, as Rich mentioned?

(only asking because my roomie is eager to go there and I need something more concrete to tell her if I want to suggest someplace else.)

Curlz, thanks for the tip re: making a reservation. Rachel mentioned that CV is smokey - is that just the bar? does it permeate the restaurant?

Rachel, thanks for the tip. I am not so worried about ramps and such as none of our group will be in a wheelchair or on a motorized scooter. I am more concerned with ease of nearby parking.

So, is it the salt that makes Spanish Tavern a NO-GO for all of you?

Frankly, the saltiness of Portuguese food totally turns me off. I didn't know that Spanish food would be the same way :sad:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

It's not that ST is bad, it's mostly just that ST is not as good as every other place mentioned above (although my brother did have a case of upset tummy after eating at the Mountainside location, ~8 years ago). It is very touristy, but if your roommate is set on it, then you can go, I doubt your group will be disappointed. The something concrete you can tell her is that we are recommending places that locals eat at that are better than ST.

As for Forno's, 98% as touristy as ST, and the food was just bad the last time we ate there.

Eight blocks to Spanish Tavern...

Now I'm gonna flip my answer a little...yes, Rachel is right that CV can be smoky. But Adega Grill is a smoke-free restaurant. Their parking lot is less than 1/2 block away, and parking is free if they validate. There's a full thread that I started on AG if you're interested. I still concur that Forno's and the ST are far too touristy. If you really want to have the Ironbound experience, you should consider one of the many other places mentioned on Ironbound/Spanish rest threads on the NJ board.

Curlz

PS If you really need to give your friend a reason, tell her that folks from NJ who know good food are steering you elsewhere! That's all I'd need to hear...

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Guess I'll play devil's advocate in this thread.

I enjoy going to Spanish Tavern. It is not 'gourmet', but the seafood is consistantly good and dependable. Yes, it is a 'classic', continental atmosphere in the stereotyped sense (not sure I'd use 'touristy' as Rachel said, but I understand where she is coming from), but to me that's part of the campy fun.

On the other hand, I had one of the worst seafood meals of my life at Tony De Caneca. I ordered a seafood plate (scallops, 1/2 lobster, and broiled fish, IIRC) which was tasteless. When I told the waiter, he basically shrugged at me. I was with a large party so I didn't want to make a scene, but I will not be going back anytime soon.

Larry

I'd probably recommend Iberia Peninsula before I'd send someone to Forno's or the ST--I went to ST exactly once--and just remember that I thought it was terrible. It's been years, though--and now that I've found the real-deal spots Down Neck, I can't imagine going anywhere else!

Yes, it is a 'classic', continental atmosphere in the stereotyped sense (not sure I'd use 'touristy' as Rachel said, but I understand where she is coming from), but to me that's part of the campy fun.

You wouldn't call the place touristy? They have signs going down Mccarter Avenue for several miles counting down how far it is to Spanish Tavern! If thats not touristy, I don't know what is. They have so many navigational cues assisting people to get there, you could land a 747 in Spanish Tavern's parking lot.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

They have so many navigational cues assisting people to get there, you could land a 747 in Spanish Tavern's parking lot.

Yes, I believe there's a sign painted on the roof so they can divert flights to Newark...

:laugh:

Yes, it is a 'classic', continental atmosphere in the stereotyped sense (not sure I'd use 'touristy' as Rachel said, but I understand where she is coming from), but to me that's part of the campy fun.

You wouldn't call the place touristy? They have signs going down Mccarter Avenue for several miles counting down how far it is to Spanish Tavern! If thats not touristy, I don't know what is. They have so many navigational cues assisting people to get there, you could land a 747 in Spanish Tavern's parking lot.

You're right - I forgot about the signs in Newark. I haven't been to that location in a while - most recently I've been to the one in Mountainside.

I'm sure I've totally lowered my Egullet reputation with my comments in this thread.... :wacko:

Larry

• 1 year later...

Glad I read this thread.. I want to go to get some Spanish or Portugese food in Newark tonight.. In my office one person said Iberia, another said Spanish Tavern... Are there any new stars in Newark... If not, where do i go..

Also i was told the Seabras is not Spanish, but Brazilian.. Is this true...

Edited by Daniel (log)

Two words: CASA VASCA. Good local place, and they have a parking lot. Terrific sangria, great food; been going there for years.

141 Elm Street

973-465-1350

Two other words, if you want a dressier atmosphere and a slightly more expensive place: Adega Grill.

They also have their own parking lot, but it's around the corner (on Madison St, iirc).

130 Ferry Street

973-589-8830

Glad I read this thread.. I want to go to get some Spanish or Portugese food in Newark tonight.. In my office one person said Iberia, another said Spanish Tavern... Are there any new stars in Newark... If not, where do i go..

Also i was told the Seabras is not Spanish, but Brazilian.. Is this true...

Actually Seabras is Portuguese, just like most rodizios in Newark are (even though this tradition comes from Southern Brazil).

Two words:  CASA VASCA.  Good local place, and they have a parking lot.  Terrific sangria, great food; been going there for years.

141 Elm Street

973-465-1350

I concur. We brought Mr. and Mrs. Mayhaw Man there recently and we had some wonderful food there, as usual. Its been the consistently best Iberian restaurant we've been to in the area in the last 4 years.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Ok, ok.. So I didnt take anyone's advice and ended up going to the Spanish Tavern last night.. Scale of one to ten, I give it a 5.. The place wasnt terrible, but certainly wasnt too exciting..

We left Manhattan around 7 and arrived a little after 730..WAlked in to see a crowded room.. We were quickly seated at a comfortable table in the back and were able to talk and feel alone even in a crowded room..

gallery_15057_1519_281645.jpg

We looked over the menu and was surprised to see such a small choice of things on the menu.. For appetizers, you have the choice of getting chorizo, garlic shrimp, clams either fried, or steamed, and mussels in either a red or green sauce.. Rather boring.. So we ordered garlic shrimp and spicy chorizo with of course a large pitcher of sangria..

With your meal out comes a complimentary bowl of soup.. The soup happened to be really good. Lentils in a brown soup with a strong celery flavor..

gallery_15057_1519_898547.jpg

This is the garlic shrimp.. It was tastey.. A lot of shrimp.. At one point in my life this was exotic i guess.. I remember loving it here, I remember driving from East Brunswick as I child and this being a treat.. I have since had it in many places and find this to be on par with an average place.. I can get a better cheaper version in many lunch places I go to in Elizabeth during the work week..

gallery_15057_1519_851431.jpg

The spicy chorizo was really good.. It was crispy on the outside, it snapped when bitten... It was really smokey and had a little spice to it.. This was on the specials menu.. Which something tells me doesnt change too often.. Again, can I get better chorizo, sure.. Do i consider a plate of shrimp and some chorizo a good start, not really..

gallery_15057_1519_418304.jpg

After seeing the huge amount of food people were getting and all the brown bags they were taking home, we decided to split an entree. We went with mussels, shrimp, clams, scallops, and lobster tails in a spicy tomato broth.. This came with a huge plate of yellow rice on the side and fried potatoes slice thin...

This happened to be really good.. How could it have been bad.. It was 23 bucks and could have fed another person... The rice was great, so were the crispy potatoes. The broth was garlicky, the flavored with all the seafood.. As good as I remembered it..

gallery_15057_1519_949107.jpg

We ended with a great creamy flan and my girl ordered a spanish coffee and I had a double espresso

gallery_15057_1519_291620.jpg

gallery_15057_1519_963578.jpg

All in all the place was average.. I wish there was more choices for appetizers.. The menu seemed geared torwards less adventurous eaters.. However, the entree we got was really good.. We had a great time and will go back to Newark and try some other places..

EDIT TO ADD: Didnt speak about the Sangria.. It was a very gringoed version.. There was way too much orange juice and really no fruit.. I would ask them to relax with the OJ if I ever go back..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel, Jason was talking about Casa Vasca, I'll edit the quote in his post.

Ok, ok.. So I didnt take anyone's advice and ended up going to the Spanish Tavern last night.. Scale of one to ten, I give it a 5.. The place wasnt terrible, but certainly wasnt too exciting..

The best part about going to Spanish Tavern, is that it's easy to get to, what with the countdown of signs pointing the way (X blocks to Spanish Tavern, X-1 blocks to Spanish Tavern, etc, turn here for Spanish Tavern). Although that seafood dish looks good, was it Mariscada?

Thats funny you should say that because we actually got lost.. I pulled off the turnpike 15w.. And we were completely confused, thanks Mapquest, another fine job.. We drove around stopping at several different places and several different people and no one knew about it.. Finally I stopped by the Iberian Penninsula, which looked pretty good bye the way, and a waiter smoking outside finally gave me directions.. We ended up not seeing the parking lot and parked like three blocks away on ELM St.. :biggrin: I wish I saw those suckers.. The dish we ordered in English was like Seafood Feast in a spicy garlic tomato broth

Edited by Daniel (log)