• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual Infusions

I knew you guys would know. I usually refrigerate my infused stuff, but I decided on the big jar which takes up a honkin' lot of room in the 'fridge. Thanks! :wink:

My Martha Stewart side just reared its ugly head... 'cause the jar with the tequila & pineapple is kinda pretty. I'm picturing a whole line up of infusing jars on my home bar. Pretty, yet tasty.

Edited for very poor grammar...

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

That said, what IS a good infusin' bourbon?

Sorry y'all. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake...

Now that I've caught up with this thread I'd suggest the Evan Williams or Heaven Hill for infusing. I used the Heaven Hill for my vanilla bourbon and it was just fine.

You ought to be drinking that Eagle Rare either straight on the rocks, with a splash of water or in a Manhattan. Or a julep if you're feeling frisky.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

one of our guys came up with a brilliant kaffir lime leaf tequila,

you can buy the leaves from sainsburys now and they give the tequila a beautiful aroma and a delicate almost sweet lime flavour,

works really well with passionfruit and cinnamon!

i've got a three citrus tequila sitting behind the till at work waiting for it to infuse,

and i'm having issues with patience (i'd make a lousy buddist)

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

after reading an article by Gary Regan I decided to try pineapple and serrano chilli infused tequila. It was enjoyed by Customers and Kitchen staff alike.

Another good Tequila infusion is strawberries. That was easier to sell than the other tequila infusion.

Cheers!

George

If it's in spirits and not diluted with water, you don't need to refrigerate it until you're ready to drink it.

And then into the fridge for storage between drinks? Would storage in the fridge or freezer while infusing actually slow the process? We're talking pretty high proof spirits here, I wouldn't think you'd need to keep them chilled.

One of these days I'll find some jars and start doing these....anybody have a good source? Target had big jars* that didn't seal quite like a Mason jar would, and Bed , Bath, and Beyond had plastic Mason-y jars, but I'm really looking for glass. I hear Safeway has them, but at each one I've tried, I've been hard-pressed to find somebody who knew what a Mason jar was, let alone the article itself.

-- C.S.

* Fun Things To Do In Target #4. Putter around the store holding a two gallon glass jar, and your best crazy eyes.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Got a Container Store or a Sur La Table near you, Chef Shogun? I've gotten mine there, glass, very nice seal that doesn't leak even when I shake 'em like hell.

I *really* like the idea of kaffir lime tequila. I have some kaffir lime vodka that is just rockin' with a splash of tonic on a hot summer day.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

If it's in spirits and not diluted with water, you don't need to refrigerate it until you're ready to drink it.

And then into the fridge for storage between drinks? Would storage in the fridge or freezer while infusing actually slow the process? We're talking pretty high proof spirits here, I wouldn't think you'd need to keep them chilled.

One of these days I'll find some jars and start doing these....anybody have a good source? Target had big jars* that didn't seal quite like a Mason jar would, and Bed , Bath, and Beyond had plastic Mason-y jars, but I'm really looking for glass. I hear Safeway has them, but at each one I've tried, I've been hard-pressed to find somebody who knew what a Mason jar was, let alone the article itself.

-- C.S.

* Fun Things To Do In Target #4. Putter around the store holding a two gallon glass jar, and your best crazy eyes.

I like to keep some stuff in the freezer when it's done infusing (like 88) so it's drinkable on demand. Things I like drinking at room temp (like cherry bounce) I keep in a dark place. Yeah, chilling something would slow down the extraction process for sure, so come to think of it, you really wouldn't want to do that.

Almost any hardware store will carry Mason jars during the summer. I have a selection of Italian jars that close with a wire clip thingy I use for infusions, pickles, vinegar, etc. etc. I like them because you can replace the rubber gaskets and they come in several sizes from very small (100 mls) to very large (3 liters). I think the best price on them is at Cost Plus, but many kitchen stores carry different brands. The Italian ones tend to be cheaper then the French ones. I also pick them up at second hand stores when I see them...but those are usually just the small ones.

regards,

trillium

Walmart has mason jars. But I bought mine at a flea market.

I'd shoot for flea markets, as long as you don't mind the potential time wasting.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Because I was taking pictures of my caipirinha for the cachaca thread, I also took one of my lovely caramel-colored tequila-pineapple-piloncillo-vanilla bean infusion that's brewin':

i11029.jpg

I had a sneak taste and added more pineapple... but it was goooood. I'm trying to be patient for another week.