• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual Infusions

what things are people putting into spirit bottles to flavour them?

Earl Grey into Tanqueray

Vanilla Pods into Rum

Morello Cherries into Bourbon

Raisins into Bourbon/ Cognac

Basil into Gin

Lemongrass into Vodka

What else do people recommend, and what recipes do you use them in?

George

Ginger in vodka was very good. Slice up some ginger root, stick it in a bottle of something cost effective (like Skyy), and strain it in a couple weeks (or whenever you remember it).

Pomegranate in vodka was a dismal failure. Made the vodka slightly cloudy with an unappetizing pinkish color, and on top of that didn't really taste good. (But if we didn't try, how would we know?)

Hi Beans!!! Holy Cow indeed, it appears I have been a member since 8th August 2003. I just don't remember signing up. :unsure:

I used a Ginger Vodka at Akbar

Moksh

1 1/2 shot Ginger infused Vodka

1/2 shot Ginger Syrup

1/2 shot Apple Liqueur

3/4 shot Fresh Lemon Juice

3 Basil Leaves

2 nails of Ginger root

Muddle the basil and ginger root, in the bottom of a shaker then add the other ingredients. Add ice, then shake and strain through a sieve into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a basil leaf.

I forgot to list Date infused rum, that was okay to taste.

Cheers!

George :raz:

Edited by ThinkingBartender (log)

Fellow eG'ers: George is a lovely regular contributor on Webtender that has provided me much information and inspiration. :wub:

Wiser beyond his years and most generous in sharing his delicious cocktail creations.

Very glad to see you around George!

ThinkingBartender, welcome! And thanks for a very interesting thread. I wonder if you could say a little more about your basil/gin infusion? The combination sounds unusual, yet very interesting. What kind of gin did you use? How did you find the flavors of the gin to work with the basil? Did you use the infused gin in a mixed drink? If so, which one(s)?

Thanks in advance,

Squeat

I used a Ginger Vodka at Akbar

George, is that where you are these days?

I remember reading something about Shoreditch Golf and Grand Central. I have recommended fellow Lodnoders to seek you out....

I *must* find it within my next holiday travels to visit you, queneau, summieone, -JAM-, et al. Labboylondon Ross best be in for some serious cocktails and flirting. :raz:

Same for you my dear. :cool:

But never worry, q has my heart and soul....

Damn him for retiring and being so bloody brilliant and charming.

Okay, infusions! The last one I did was with johnny-jump-up violets in vodka. A bit minty. I'll have to dig up and post that link to a thread that sort of became an infusing club of sorts filled with recommendations and ideas.

Again, good to see you around here. Very, very :cool:

George:

Here's the monster -- herb's original thread on infusing.

Infusing deserves a separate thread on the unusual. I'm thrilled to get a European bartender on board to offer up ideas, opinions and knowledge.

DrinkBoy Robert visits these parts too. :cool::wub:

Beans: I am still at Grand Central.

the gin that I first encountered with basil gin was Bombay Sapphire, though I am currently using beefeater. Basically add 6-8 large basil leaves, then leave them in the bottle for a week. you will have to take the basil out after a while as they may go mouldy.

Garden of Earthly Delights.

1 1/2 shots Basil Gin

1 shot Pineapple Juice

1/4 shot fresh lime juice

1/4 shot Maraschino liqueur

Shake with ice, then strain over fresh ice in a hi-ball glass. Top with Tonic Water.

I hope I got that right, as I can't find my recipe sheets anywhere. There was another drink with basil gin in it. :unsure:

Cheers! :blink:

George

How'd that cherry bourbon turn out? I've been trying to think of things to do with bourbon, but have come up pretty empty other than the vanilla suggested in the infusions thread Beans linked to. I have to admit I kind of discounted most fruit for bourbon, and my Eagle Rare already has pretty good vanilla on its own! That said, what IS a good infusin' bourbon?

-- C.S.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

In hte islands, almost anything you can shove down a rum bottle is put in rum. Cloves, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, peanuts, seamoss, rosemary, cherries, tamarind, lime, passion fruit, sugar apples, pineapple, orange and then such things as conch, crab and even meat - pork, beef, conch and even scorpions.

But of all these peanuts seemed to be the best of the least expected flavors I've encountered.

And I should mention bois bande, it's said to be better than viagara, according to the old women in the markets who sell bois bande rum in Johnny Walker bottles. Branding is important, even if the bottle is used and the label is coming off.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

The guy at one of my favorite local sprits shops talked me into trying a grappa flavored with camomile (sweetened slightly as well), which is surprisingly good -- especially since I don't really like camomile tea.

I'm not sure if the camomile is infused or incorporated into the distillation process.

In the islands, almost anything you can shove down a rum bottle is put in rum....such things as conch, crab and even meat - pork, beef, conch and even scorpions.

I'm with you up to the meat. Meat? Is the purpose to marinate the meat or to flavor the rum for drinking?

Just think what you could do with meat-infused rum. Conch-and-soda? A scorpion daiquiri? Hmmm.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

How'd that cherry bourbon turn out? I've been trying to think of things to do with bourbon, but have come up pretty empty other than the vanilla suggested in the infusions thread Beans linked to. I have to admit I kind of discounted most fruit for bourbon, and my Eagle Rare already has pretty good vanilla on its own! That said, what IS a good infusin' bourbon?

-- C.S.

Cherry bounce, as cherry infused whiskies tend to be called, has a long and wonderful history. It's good stuff and you should check it out. Something that has been around and lasted since before the birth of the nation must have something going for it, right? I like making it with Maker's Mark.

regards,

trillium

I took a bottle of Jack Daniels and poured it into a jar and then i added tart cherries, 2 quartered apples, sugar, whole allspice, whole cloves, and a cinnamon stick.

I then let all of this marinate in the jar for 8 weeks, stirring daily. I then discarded the fruit and strained it through a chesecloth. It turned out pretty good but i think i may cut down a little on the sugar (recipe called for 2 cups).

Cherry bounce, as cherry infused whiskies tend to be called, has a long and wonderful history. It's good stuff and you should check it out. Something that has been around and lasted since before the birth of the nation must have something going for it, right? I like making it with Maker's Mark.

All the "bounces" I've had in my day have been made with unaged corn whiskey, aka "white lightning." Since I'm in the North Carolina mountains right now, I should score a few Mason jars of the stuff and bring them back to the city for infusing with various things.

--

I'll bring this bad boy up again for a question...

I'm making my own infused tequila right now... El Tesoro Anejo, pineapple, piloncillo, and a vanilla bean. I can't wait to taste it, but I'm trying to be patient. I *adore* pineapple margaritas. :wub:

I've cruised through this thread and the others on infusions, but don't seem to see a definite trend in the group towards storage of your infused liquor... does one have to refrigerate an infusion to keep the fruit from festering, or can you leave it in a cabinet since the alcohol should preserve it?

I usually keep my tequila in the freezer at home, but zee infusion container is a little large. It is airtight, though.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope