• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Birthday meal

Fi's post about Lyndsay House and our experience at the Square makes me wonder which "good" restaurants can deliver really, seriously tasty food to a larger group. Any ideas? Maybe private rooms you've eaten in that really did a good job?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I think past a certain number - coincidentally the same number at which you all have to order the same bloody thing - standards just have to dip. Pulling out 14 foie at exactly the right time - making sure the lamb is just right ... they can't do it without a measurable dip in quality. Even if it's only 5% - you can feel it.

It's not just the Square. I think the general rule is to choose a place which doesn't aspire to haute food. What about Moro? Them pulling off three or four excellent paellas, preceded by a few plates of tapas, a few roast chickens or a slow roast shoulder of pork - seems much more doable (and affordable) than trying to force a delicate kitchen past the point where it can perform effectively.

And you 30? You don't look a day over 29.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I agree with Moby 100% (although I still thought the Square was very good indeed so there). Chez Bruce was also very good and The Fat Duck did about 20 of us an amazing 15 or so courses. But it will never be the same as a table for 2 or 4 or 6 in the main room, its just got to be a different experience.

I went to a joint stag/hen do in Hamburg a couple of weeks ago and was dreading the food part of the evening. But Rive (a fish restaurant down by the docks) did us proud -- a four course set meal for 20-25 people that was tasty, perfectly timed and served with good grace (we were a little... um...boisterous). And all for 45 euros a head. Not great food, but good. So it can be done - although you may need to go to Hamburg to get it.

And you 30? You don't look a day over 29.

Ahem. I got carded buying a beer yesterday.

*applies thin layer of that "better than botox" cream they're all raving about over here*

Moro is an idea of such stupendous greatness I fear you may have killed the thread. But everyone, please chime in with other suggestions. Don't let the greatness of Moby's idea put you off.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Interesting to note Anthonys in Leeds doesn't do tables above a certain number (Gary M will know more, seeing as he appears to have a season ticket to the place!) precisely cos they don't think they can keep quality up

guess its the traditional trade-off between culinary integrity... and making money!

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Not so much of a birthday suggestion, but in terms of who can pull off serious food for numbers, I was lucky enough to be a guest at a wedding at Le Manoir last October.

There is a certain haziness about my memories of the event, but they absolutely did succeed in delivering 20 perfect foie gras at the same time. Another great advantage of Le Manoir - those gardens are the perfect spot for recovering from the night before.

Edited by Janice (log)

Moro is great for parties, but I would also put in a bid for Fino. Tapas is ideally suited to serving to large groups and it has the added advantage of being able to accommodate any number of food dislikes/preferences scale of appetites etc.

Interesting to note Anthonys in Leeds doesn't do tables above a certain number (Gary M will know more, seeing as he appears to have a season ticket to the place!) precisely cos they don't think they can keep quality up

guess its the traditional trade-off between culinary integrity... and making money!

J

'tis true

he won't do more than six on a table, because the kitchen is so small you can't get any more plates on the pass, so won't serve any more than that at once.

once saw claridges serve 30 odd main courses off two passes in one go, which was pretty impressive for a private function.

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

the piggery at the star at harome is available for private dining if you book all the rooms (8).

that seats 20-odd i think, they certainly did 18 for my stag do with no problem.

you get your own chef as the accom has its own professional kitchen.

gary

you don't win friends with salad

How many is the party for?

At 1880, I have a private dining room for 12 next to the restaurant and I think the grazing menus lend themselves particularly well to larger groups because it is far easier to cook 12 cutlets of lamb than 12 racks of lamb.

I'm sure we could come to an arrangement on the price too!!! :wink:

Quote from my interview with chef Andrew Turner of 1880 which bears out Conor's post: "We know what people are going to eat and we have the portion sizes right, so there's no waste," explains Turner. "It's also easy for the kitchen to serve the food this way. We did a private party for 60 cooked by three people. We know when the different sections of the kitchen will be hit so we all move onto them to get the food out."

How about 'Feasting' at St John?

that is exactly what sprung to my mind - especially given the st.john's egullet pig roast feast organised by simon about a year ago now...unfortuantely i was not there so cannot comment.

moby is right, for large parties i would stick to tapas style food to share, and large "home style" dishes to be carved/spooned up and shared.

-che