• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local Food Blogs

skchai

One step beyond blogging is podcasting. There are a number of food-related podcasts already, even though podcasting has been around only a few months (check out the website of the Hawaii Association of Podcasters for info on podcasting).

My favorite is Eat Feed. I've been suggesting that they do something on Hawaii and introduced them to Joan Namkoong. Looks like the program is about to happen. Usually it's available on a Sunday or Monday, so maybe tomorrow.

You don't need a podcatcher to listen, just click on the link to listen on the computer speakers. Of course, having it in the mp3 player is even better (I listen while folding the laundry). If Nanette and I are listening together, we also stop the player when we want to say something about the program. You can't do that with real radio.

Cheerz,

--Larry

One step beyond blogging is podcasting. There are a number of food-related podcasts already, even though podcasting has been around only a few months (check out the website of the Hawaii Association of Podcasters for info on podcasting).

My favorite is Eat Feed. I've been suggesting that they do something on Hawaii and introduced them to Joan Namkoong. Looks like the program is about to happen. Usually it's available on a Sunday or Monday, so maybe tomorrow.

You don't need a podcatcher to listen, just click on the link to listen on the computer speakers. Of course, having it in the mp3 player is even better (I listen while folding the laundry). If Nanette and I are listening together, we also stop the player when we want to say something about the program. You can't do that with real radio.

Cheerz,

--Larry

Hey Larry,

Thanks for the information. I'm interested in hearing what Joan has to say as I really enjoy her weekly column in the Downtown Planet.

What's really funny though is that I'm in the process of doing a monthly podcast for my blog as long as I can get the logistics worked out. It will be a collaborative effort, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Glad to hear that you're doing a podcast and I look forward to hearing it! I have to update my own blog with food podcast links, I've been neglecting to mess with it for too long.

If you see this in time, there's a meeting of Hawaii podcasters and interested people today (Monday) at noon in Kakaako Park, just inside and to the left of the entrance to the park at the Ohe Street parking area and the blue engraved sign, but it could move to the pavilion on the water nearby. There's a cellphone contact which I don't want to post here, but it's in a June 17 message about the meeting in the podcasting group of yahoogroups.com, which you might enjoy joining anyway.

I don't have a podcast in me yet, maybe one day. But meanwhile I'm enjoying being a pod-listener and reviewing some of the food podcasts on my blog.

Cheerz,

--Larry

Larry, thanks for the head's up on Joan's segment on Eat Feed! Her name and books on Amazon.com are linked on the main page, so we should have the show any moment now. And Reid, I'd love to see (I mean hear) an 'Ono Kine Grindz podcast. Keep us posted! Heck, be sure to join the HAP mailing list.

I always wanted food to be a regular part of my podcast, HawaiiUP. I did a dim sum chat with a friend back in March, and my latest show features someone y'all might be familiar with! I'm hoping she starts her own food podcast, too, but hopefully we'll also podcast a lunch for HawaiiUP now and then anyway.

Definitely, if you're curious about podcasting, and want to get some fresh air, come down to the park today!

user posted image HawaiiThreads.com - Let's talk story!

Larry, thanks for the head's up on Joan's segment on Eat Feed!  Her name and books on Amazon.com are linked on the main page, so we should have the show any moment now.  And Reid, I'd love to see (I mean hear) an 'Ono Kine Grindz podcast.  Keep us posted!  Heck, be sure to join the HAP mailing list.

I always wanted food to be a regular part of my podcast, HawaiiUP.  I did a dim sum chat with a friend back in March, and my latest show features someone y'all might be familiar with!  I'm hoping she starts her own food podcast, too, but hopefully we'll also podcast a lunch for HawaiiUP now and then anyway.

Definitely, if you're curious about podcasting, and want to get some fresh air, come down to the park today!

Larry & Ryan,

Thanks for the support. I'm actually thinking of doing regular podcasts with a blogger in the UK and another in Australia. Were still trying to work out the logistics, topics and things like that, but once we get it going, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Ryan,

It would have been nice to join you all at the park, but unfortunately, I had to work today and couldn't get the time off.

Thanks for the links...I'll definitely be checking them out.

• 2 weeks later...

The current Eat Feed podcast features an interview with Joan Namkoong and chef Peter Merriman. It's good publicity for Hawaii and its cuisine.

To listen, you can click here.

Eat Feed is getting popular, and if you like the podcast, please click here to vote for the program on Podcast Alley. It's at #17 now, so just a few more votes could get it onto the Top 10 list which really attracts listeners.

Cheerz,

--Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone:

There has been a lot of activity on the home front lately and by that I mean, there are quite a few local food blogs that have sprouted up around us. Here are a few that I've been looking at lately:

KauKau Time

Reggie's focus is on home cooking and from what I've read so far, it's mostly Filipino food.

AlohaMa's Kitchen

Yvette is based in Kona and also focuses on home cooking.

Big Island Grinds

James has recently launched this food blog which is based in Hilo.

I'll update this post as I come across more food blogs!

Stop by and give them your support.

Reid, thanks for the list!

I am Googling around to find how to include the current item title of each of the Hawaii food blogs on the right side of my blog. Maybe time also for an article someplace to point traditional print readers to this wonderful resource.

If anyone discovers more food blogs, please post them here. Let's keep the food blogs rolling.

Cheerz,

--Larry

Hmmm... not too difficult to do. For those blogs that have feeds. (See right side of freerangegourmet.com for results. I could also have included a few lines from each post.) If anyone wants to steal the code, feel free. I used FeedDigest, maybe there are better ways to do this)(please clue me in, I'm not very experienced at this, via eGullet email). (Thanks).

--Larry

Edited by LarryG (log)

I played around with listing both the food blogs and the titles of current articles instead of just a blog roll -- and I like it. I can't tell from conventional blogrolls what's happening on a blog, so I don't know whether to click or not. This is soooo much better - I can see what happening and decide to go have a look.

It's possible these days to put together one's own "home page" of links including RSS feeds, so why not join the trend.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been neglectful... there is another new blog, Sonia Tastes Hawaii, that's very worth visiting. Sonia has just added her RSS feed. Note that you still need the "www." at the front until they fix that.

Sonia is a long-time member of the Slow Food Community and I'm looking forward to reading her posts, now available to everyone.

I've tried to list the headlines of the most recent posts of Hawaii food blogs that interest me over on the right side of my blog, The Free Range Gourmet. It seems to work -- when I checked the states, it seems that some people visit my blog just to go off to the others (sigh). Well, that's ok, the idea is to tie them all together somehow. Maybe one day we can do a portal, with several blogs on a newspaper-like home page for people to read.

Cheerz,

--Larry

Edited by LarryG (log)

• 9 months later...

Since my last post, I have made a few more discoveries. Here they are:

The Cuis-Zine

Anuhea focuses mainly on home cooking and baking, but also offers her take on some of our local dining hot spots. I'm not sure how long Anuhea, and The Cuis-Zine, will be around (especially since she notes "soon to be LA" in her sidebar), but make sure you drop by and tell her hello...she wants to hear from all US lurkers out there!

The KCC Foodie

Ty started his blog a while back and I actually found his site by way of Gail and Hawaii Diner. A thinking man's blog, Ty offers great commentary on what's going on in the world of food. I'd like to see what his place, Basil, looks like when it opens someday (good luck, Ty!).

And finally, another newbie orbiting around Hawaii's foodblogosphere, da weekend foodie. There's only an introductory post and a post about Ted's chantilly cake up, but what a great way to start!

Edited by reid (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Since my last post, I have made a few more discoveries.  Here they are:

The Cuis-Zine

Anuhea focuses mainly on home cooking and baking, but also offers her take on some of our local dining hot spots.  I'm not sure how long Anuhea, and The Cuis-Zine, will be around (especially since she notes "soon to be LA" in her sidebar), but make sure you drop by and tell her hello...she wants to hear from all US lurkers out there!

The KCC Foodie

Ty started his blog a while back and I actually found his site by way of Gail and Hawaii Diner.  A thinking man's blog, Ty offers great commentary on what's going on in the world of food.  I'd like to see what his place, Basil, looks like when it opens someday (good luck, Ty!).

And finally, another newbie orbiting around Hawaii's foodblogosphere, da weekend foodie.  There's only an introductory post and a post about Ted's chantilly cake up, but what a great way to start!

Ty actually moved from Blogger to Typepad. I have correct the link above. Sorry, but I didn't know how to edit the previous post. :sad:

I just checked it out, very nice pictures and writing. I enjoyed reading about Sumo Ramen. I never eat at Zippy's but it was o.k. to read about. Thanks for passing on the link! A hui hou!

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Here's a good foodie social network in Vancouver: http://vanchow.ning.com/main/authorization/signIn?target=http://vanchow.ning.com/

Many post to the Chowhound board, BRITISH COLUMBIA & TERRITORIES (INC. VANCOUVER), but they use Ning-Vanchow to arrange and discuss get togethers in the area. A good, active group.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Here's a good foodie social network in Vancouver: http://vanchow.ning.com/main/authorization/signIn?target=http://vanchow.ning.com/

Many post to the Chowhound board, BRITISH COLUMBIA & TERRITORIES (INC. VANCOUVER), but they use Ning-Vanchow to arrange and discuss get togethers in the area. A good, active group.

Thanks for the shout out Scargo. Everyone is welcome...the group did start from the Chowhound boards, but has expanded a bit since then. We set up Chowdowns about once or twice a month.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum