• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Cakes and summer heat

Dee

Probably many of you live in places much hotter than me. But I wonder how you all deal with the summer heat in making wedding cakes. Like, what do you do when bride asks you to do a cake for an outdoor reception? What do you suggest? I've always thought fondant was the best way to go since the cake is "protected" and sort of insulated, but it seems fondant has it's problems in the heat too and you can't really tell people to keep it chilled until just before serving because as soon as it comes out it will start sweating. It seems the only way to properly (and confidently) display a wedding cake is in a temperature controlled room. But, of course, many people want outdoor receptions and that's not an option.

I live in New Orleans and I feel your pain. I use an Italian buttercream for outdoor receptions and it works out well for me. I've had cakes sit in the blazing heat for the lenght of the event with no problems. My recipe is as follows: Beat 10# butter to soft and light (the lighter the butter, the lighter your buttercream). Remove butter from bowl and set aside. Clean bowl thoroughly. Place 5 c. clean egg whites into your bowl, and start cooking 6# sugar. When the sugar reaches 112c, start whipping your whites. When the sugar reaches 115c, turn it off and add it to your whipping whites (italian meringue). Whip till cool, then slowly add your butter. You can add titanium oxide to it if you want it whiter. Good Luck.

I have been using Swiss meringue buttercream but interesting you should mention having no problems with the Italian. I've wondered for a long time whether it makes a difference. Seems to me both methods produce the same product, except that the Swiss is so much easier and faster. I find it a pain to have to make up the syrup and make sure it is the perfect temp and all that. But, if it is more stable, that would definitely be cause for me to switch methods, if only for the hot summer months. I would love to know once and for all what the difference is other than method. I guess I could make both and set them both out at the same temperature and see which one holds up better as an experiment!

I would love to know once and for all what the difference is other than method. I guess I could make both and set them both out at the same temperature and see which one holds up better as an experiment!

If you do, let me know too Dee. I'm a "Swiss-er" myself, because I find the method much easier than the Italian. However, if for some reason the Italian is more stable, I'll probably switch too.

Sometimes when it gets to be so hot (or just for a different approach) we do "fake cakes", you know styrofoam with fondant covering it and decorated. On the side for the cake, you can then do anything you want. Possibly a stacked cake in an extention mold in a sheet pan to do something different than just a sheet cake. Chocolate butter cake with raspberry chocolate cream and creme brulee filling with meringue was our last one that we did. The possibilities are endless and these you can have refrigerated in the back.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics