• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Treating Burns

Transparent

• 6 years later...

I discovered a product that seems to work better than Aloe. I find if I use it on a burn immediately, it really makes it hurt less and heal faster.

Here;s the blurb:

Cactus Juice Miracle Gel is a clear cactus-based gel made with the natural plant derivative of the Prickly Pear Cactus.

They also make a product we have found to be a great insect repellent that is non-toxic and safe for babies.

JSOLOMAN is absolutely right. This is my 38th year in ER and UC medicine and I would like to emphasize that the most important step in treating burns is to stop the burning process as fast as possible. Usually the easiest way to do this in the kitchen is to immediately turn on the cold water tap and stick your hand (by far the most commonly burned body part) under the running water.

We keep a big jar of this stuff at the shop. Does what it says on the tin.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 1 month later...

15 years ago I lost my grip and poured a stock pot full of boiling water on my foot while wearing canvas slip on sneakers. I flicked off the shoe and blister after blister formed and broke before my eyes. I ran to the bath tub to get cold water on it, wrapped a soggy wet towel aorund it, stuck it in a trash bag, threw on some ice to keep the towel cool, and made the long trip to the hospital. It was a very bad second degree over all of my foot, including the sole, that was treated with the silvadene cream for a few weeks. I was lucky... no scaring.

The cream requires a perscription and I keep a jar in the icebox to use when needed.