• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mead the gueuze

rabidscottsman

I wasnt sure where to post this but i figured the beer forum would be the best spot

I found this at the liquor store today and i couldnt resist the urge to pick up a bottle and try it

The label says its brewed and bottled by Hanssens Artisanaal Dworp Belgium. Mead provided by Llurgashall, Petworth, West Suffex UK

Thw label says its 70% malt liquor and 30% mead and its corked like a champange bottle. Im going to give this a try tonight and i will post what i think of it

As soon as i took the little metal cork protector off the cork it popped out of the bottle. I poured it into a champange glass and it was REALLY carbonated. It has a real nice honey smell to it but the taste would take a little getting used to. I think the Malt liquor was a little overpowering.

Mead the Gueuze is a blend of Hannsen's Gueuze (not malt liquor) and Lurgashall Mead. Sounds like some wacky US labeling law caused the "malt liquor" description. I vaguely remember some state, possibly Texas, requiring a description of "malt liquor" if a beer was over 6%.

You can find out lots more about the blend at B. United's website: Mead the Gueuze

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Gueuze is usually an acquired taste. I've not met many who fell in love with a gueuze at first sip. I personally love the more tart/sour ones.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Doesn't freshness play a role in geuze tartness too?

The lactic bacteria take a while to really get going, so a fresh geuze should be less tart than one that has a year or two of aging on it... and I've met some older lambics that did a pretty good impression of battery acid.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch