• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

British Restaurants Outside of Britain

Not that we care about what actors and actresses eat, but the January 21, 2002 edition of US Weekly (a magazine like People) contains an article on the food on which they pigged out during the holidays. Meg Ryan's indulgence is pies. She notes: "Pies. I make pies. I love pies. I love pecan pie, apple pie, cherry pie." Liv Tyler notes: "I love everything. I love  pie. I love mashed potatoes and gravy. There's nothing during the holidays that I don't like."

I like pie!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Cabrales-I wonder when old Meg and Liv chowed down on a good old Game Pie?

Okay quick quiz. Name some high end restaurants that serve pie for dessert? I've been trying to think of some but all I come up with are places like the Oyster Bar at Grabd Central. Anything else?

Are pot pies (Chicken and Beef, not Marijuana) British in origin? Or are they Colonial American? I know the Shepherds Pie is definitely Irish.

A good shepherd's pie is one of those things that is proof that there are things in British cuisine that are really good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I like shepherd's pie!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Okay quick quiz. Name some high end restaurants that serve pie for dessert? I've been trying to think of some but all I come up with are places like the Oyster Bar at Grabd Central. Anything else?

Union Square Cafe sometimes had Lemon Meringue Pie, although the banana caramel tart (with macadamia nuts, at some point in time) would be preferable for me.

http://www.toprestaurants.com/ny/unionsquare.htm

(older sample menu which also includes "Baked Lobster 'Shepard Pie' with Mashed Potatoes, Spinach, Carrots and Lobster Sauce")

http://www.cookwithaloha.com/union_square_cafe.htm

(also mentions lobster shepard pie)

Smith & Wollensky sometimes has pie; I would imagine other steakhouses would have a greater chance of having pie as well.

http://www.smithandwollensky.com/grill_menu.htm

(mentions Bourbon Pecan Pie for NYC location)

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Afici...avel/rc693.html (mentions hot deep-dish apple pie)

• 1 month later...

Oh LOLOLOL. According to the Caterer Survey, "A third (32%) of respondents said they ate out at least four times a month. They spent an average £26 a head when treating themselves to a special meal". £26 a head when treating themselves to a special meal Let me say that again £26 a head when treating themselves to a special meal

Does that give any small indication as to the sort of people included in the survey ? LOLOLOLOLOL

And Steve, a recent survey on behalf of the British Dental Association confirmed that a third (32%) of respondents were using artificial, rather than natural, palates.  :biggrin:

Adam, the revolution came. It knocked and waited around for awhile but there was no answer so it went home and made some tea.

It might try again in a fortnight or so. If it isn't raining.

Gavin And Macrosan,What's so funny? I don't know how we're defining "special" but you can get lots of really good meals for £26 per head,especially if you spend that on food alone.

If you can only conceive of 2 & 3 star Michelin type places costing £60 per head as being "special" then I suggest you get out more and try to broaden your culinary horizons.

Jus' fink of alla pies yeh could buy fer 60 quid.  :biggrin:

How much for Humble pie? Actually, I have an English recipe for "Humble/Umble" pie. 16th C.-ish. Involves making a pie out of deer intestines (the Humbles/Umbles), it obviously isn't very nice, hence "to eat humble pie". I bit like eating crow really. I wonder if St. John's will start serving Humble pie, it's British after all.

I've heard of umbles. Do sound nasty. Never had crow. Nor ravens nor rooks.

Intestine pie might not be bad though if 'twere the right guts, right saucing.

But on the dim side, maybe they just have British palates and don't know any better  :smile:.

Plotinki, with all this talk of anti-Semitism, your anti-Britishness is hippocritical and highly innappropriate.

Clearly you're not a person of principle, but merely the proverbial empty vessel.

" your anti-Britishness is hippocritical and highly innappropriate. "

Michael-Who is anti-British? I love Britain and the Brits. They just have a history of eating boiled, overcooked gray mush and liking it. What's even worse is the people who like it often cannot discern the good from the bad in other cuisines but they think they can. But one thing is clear after your post, it would seem that the Brits should be expert in jook (or juk if you may.). Their specialty seems to be making gruel out of things.

What's even worse is the people who like it often cannot discern the good from the bad in other cuisines but they think they can.

But one thing is clear after your post, it would seem that the Brits should be expert in jook (or juk if you may.). Their specialty seems to be making gruel out of things.

On what dubious data do base your first non sequitur?

Regarding the second utterance; how exactly is this clear from my post?