• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

British Restaurants Outside of Britain

Yes, it's all very odd. This tutti-frutti-nicki person, aka "lopbamboom", who appears from nowhere appearing to know me. I'm not fussy though because he/she has tremendous respect for my opinions, and therefore shows the highest intelligence.

Adam: I told you it's hard! Try again. Main home page, left hand side, "readers opinions", next page, right "forums", click "books". It's worth it because when Plotnicki starts raving about the Eagles you can escape to Boswell.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

That Plotnicki geezer is a right 'erbert who thinks he's all about trout, but don't know nisht.  He's got some bee in his titfer about our grub, but he wouldn't know apples and pears from porky pies.  All he does is lay about some smart frog gaff all day, sucking up the sauce, hoping for a charver from some fancy bona paloma, then he comes down here like lord of the manor, effing and blinding like a good un, and sticking his fizz into where it's not wanted.  I bet he wears brown boots too, I asks you.

And lamp the capella on that Fat Bloke.

You know this British slang is no where near as evolved as that French slang.

Clicke moi,, yooou Sahxon dog!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Look, this thread should be locked because people who don’t think French slang is best (it's all in the sauces, everyone know that) are in denial. Everyone I know says so, so it must be true. I mean, criticizing me for pointing out the obvious won’t make British slang any better. It's pointless discussing this further with people who are as thick as planks. And I know a knucklehead when I see one. I mean, everyone knows port is a high class drink and that pies are made with scraps.

My, my "magnificent posts". A fan at last. How nice you are tutti-frutti.  

I now declare my verb. I'll never forgive you Simon for overlooking me in the verb thread. You knucklehead. To tutti-frutti: To admire yours truly, as everyone should.

Look, you can point to my endless reams of factual errors, my incoherent logic and the fact I change my position every five posts. You can even cut and paste my plain self-contradictions, if you like.  But none of that will change the fact that I am right and everyone else is wrong.  Boneheads.   :angry:

Look, this thread should be locked because people who don’t think French slang is best (it's all in the sauces, everyone know that) are in denial.

Yvonne -- You mean the locking wouldn't inhibit freedom of expression?! (tutti fruitti -- As a fan of Yvonne, you no doubt have the full context for that reference)  :wink:

circeplum & Gavin Jones -- Thanks for posting in this thread too :smile:

There once was a chap called Wilfred

Who was known as a right knucklehead

He said he ate game pie

But that was a cruel lie

Because he ate horseshit instead

Gotta be a bit pie-eyed when I write these (sorry)

There was a young bard, name of Finch

Who from limericks never did flinch.

His verse never scanned,

And thus ought to be banned,

But he found inspiration a cinch.

Okay,

There once was a man named Plotnicki.

Though his arguing style was quite tricky,

He believed what he said,

And yelled "Knucklehead!"

At all whose objections were picky.

I impress myself.  

:smile:

Oooh-ar, what's for tea?

Toast and marmite? Well, if there's no pie...

Mustn't complain...

edit full disclosure: Added an "h" to "Ooo" which seemed a bit too French somehow.

Here's my contribution (with obvious technical flaws, if evaluated by poetry standards):

There once was a community called eGullet

Or A Balic-land, one could better call-it

Where chicken took on aspects perverse

Where the three Steves put forth ample verse

"Oui", said Steve P, "c'est rouget" -- not red mullet

My oh my. I had to attend the funeral of the father-inlaw of one of my wife's partners where we had to venture into that other state that resides next to New York. What's its name again? It starts with the same word. So I haven't been online since 9:00 this morning since the location of the church was nearly half way to the state after. But I can see we have been acting like a bunch of children who should be sent to bed without their pie.  :smile: Save for Wilfrid who is trying to redeem himself from prior gaffs. I applaud you for trying to straddle the line where you have taken a noble position which is, French food is better but English food is good too. Unfortunately an impossiblility according to the laws of physics.

Then we have Signore Tutti-Frutti, a refreshing breath of air to a thread gone as stale as the crust of a 10 minute old.... Well you know, just fill in the blank. And then my two favorites, the teeth and all the other food items with pastry wrappers. And I'm sorry I can't give proper credit to the authors as they are before the last 10 posts and just not showing up on my screen. So whomever you are, bravo. Easy one first.

All those other types of food with wrappers made from flour are simply better expressions of wrappers than the doughie, laden with shortening and stirred with water cement like mass you get in a pie. Second, haven't you all seen Austin Powers?

Now I think whomever made that point was being polite. Because they didn't tie the two together when it is so obvious that there must be some corrolation between dental hygiene and those pies. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that dough doesn't eat away at the enamel on your teeth! If I could only invent a non-corrosive version of that pie crust I could really get rich. Just think about what the outside of the box would say,

"Non-teeth eroding Pies"

And I save the best for last, Yvonne. Yes I too am a fan, but I wonder where her palate went wrong? So I am issuing her a challenge to a food duel. She can pick the English restaurant of her choosing, devise a menu there with a number of choices for each course and we will set out a weeks time where it will be "English Restaurant Week." And as many eGulleters as possible will try and eat there that week. Also,

we will assemble a group of 8 people (including the two of us) where a group of experts who have been hand chosen by Yvonne and myself (three each) will have dinner there. We will post everyone's reaction on eGullet (anonymously if you choose.) We will then do the same excercise at a French restaurant that I will choose on a different week. What say you Yvonne, brave enough? Or are you afraid the results will push you into the drink? In fact that might not be so bad because those pies need more than a little moistening.

Nah nah Wilfred it scans.

Nah mate, gertcha, blimey (etc...)

You could make the third and fourth lines scan too, without loss of sense, if you deleted the words "cruel" and "game".

Wilfrid: poems fixed while you wait.

(Sssssh!  Don't anyone tell Steve, but I think Yvonne believes French food is better than English food too.  I think she said so more than once, just like me and everyone else.  But let's humour him - we might get an eGullet New York dinner out of the plan!)

Actually the third and fourth lines of a limerick can have 6 syllables as long as the stress is on the penultimate syllable viz:

They said he ate GAME pie

But that was a CRUEL lie

Cabrales-good effort but don't give up the day job.Actually your restaurant reviews are very poetic.