• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prep Question~

tirgoddess

I was astounded to learn that my co-worker does not wash chicken prior to cooking because "why wash it if we're gonna cook it"? I brought this ignorance to the attention of my boss, who then said that he washes everything (meat and fish). Now I am questioning my own ignorance. What is the standard health practice regarding the rinsing/washing of beef and pork prior to cooking?

you might want to read this first ...

Eight out of 10 meat eaters could be risking food poisoning by unnecessarily washing chicken under the tap as part of the cooking process. Rinsing may seem like a sensible and hygienic thing to do, but the Food and Drink Federation warn it could spread bacteria to nearby surfaces and foods.
:shock: unnecessarily washing chicken ???

Food Safety and Inspection Service says:

Review of studies from several universities related to washing meat and poultry indicate that there is no benefit. In fact, washing can allow bacteria on meat and poultry to spread to other ready-to-eat foods. But always remember, bacteria that is present on the surface of the meat or poultry will be destroyed by cooking to a temperature of 160 ºF.

Do these help resolve your quandry?

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

.... remember, bacteria that is present on the surface of the meat or poultry will be destroyed by cooking to a temperature of 160 ºF.

if that 40lb case of chix has been sitting in its blood it gets a wash before cooking. A 10oz airline out of a snap pack is good to go for me. Fish may get a wash to remove scales, innards, etc. No wash on beef, pork, lamb etc...out of the cryo, let it drain and mop if needed.

of course YMMV and be aware of local health codes.

danny

if that 40lb case of chix has been sitting in its blood it gets a wash before cooking. A 10oz airline out of a snap pack is good to go for me. Fish may get a wash to remove scales, innards, etc. No wash on beef, pork, lamb etc...out of the cryo, let it drain and mop if needed.

danny

I second that

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

St. Jacques de Pepin spake thus: "Nevah wash de shikenz. Pat dry wi de papur towwel en den into 450 F hoven. Dat heat wull kill hany bacteeriah."

(Of course this presumes the poultry is not skanky.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

St. Jacques de Pepin spake thus: "Nevah wash de shikenz. Pat dry wi de papur towwel en den into 450 F hoven. Dat heat wull kill hany bacteeriah."

(Of course this presumes the poultry is not skanky.)

I think you got the accent down pat, Jinmyo! Classic Pepin in both word and style ...

and as for skanky? even washing and blow drying invariably fail to make it appealing ... :wink:

.... remember, bacteria that is present on the surface of the meat or poultry will be destroyed by cooking to a temperature of 160 ºF.

So I guess there's no point in washing my pots and pans either!

SB (a real time saver)

It also depends on the source of your chickens. I buy some of mine from a local grower who takes the order then scalds, plucks the chickens and immediately chills them so they can be picked up within the hour.

It is then my responsibility to eviscerate the chicken, remove the head and feet and rinse off the bits of feathers still sticking to the skin, then singe the remaining little hair-like feathers.

Chickens from the store that are in those plastic bags that usually have some liquid (from freezing and thawing) need to have that gunk washed off just before cooking.

If you buy from a kosher butcher you don't need to wash it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have to beg to differ with you on this ... I do buy kosher chickens and do have to wash them off ... and, on occasion, with the kosher turkeys, pluck the pinfeathers left on the wings and legs ... :shock: tried using Nair but it gave such a tang to the finished bird, that I soon decided to skip that and use my husband's shaver instead .. :laugh:

I have to beg to differ with you on this ... I do buy kosher chickens and do have to wash them off ... and, on occasion, with the kosher turkeys, pluck the pinfeathers left on the wings and legs ...

My father was a kosher butcher, and he always insisted that all meat be rinsed off before it was cooked. So I still do it now, out of habit, but I also can't see the point of it. Ovens are pretty fierce at 450 degrees.

The kosher butcher from whom I buy chickens, usually stewing hens because he has lovely fat ones, always has them beautifully clean and wraps them in white butcher paper which he ties up with a string, then that goes into a plastic bag. So I guess it depends on the butcher.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Julia Child said once that the French don't believe in washing their chickens because it washes away flavor. She then added dryly "Chickens...as well as people..." :raz: I say.."Wash it. You don't know where it's been." And to add to that...you don't know what kind of mood the meat cutter was in that day. Back when I lived in South Boston, I was warned not to buy my meat at Flanagan's on West Broadway because George, a/k/a "Mean Mister Meat Man" used to smoke his cigars "back there" and let the ashes drop all over the meat and the boards. :blink: A quick rinse and a paper towel pat, and I am good to go.

. . . the Food and Drink Federation warn it could spread bacteria to nearby surfaces and foods.

Now, wait a minute. Are they saying I would hold my chicken over my vegetables, cutting boards and dishes while I rinse it? Or that I sling it around my kitchen in a circle to whip it dry, spraying raw chicken rinse all over everything? What a dumb statement!!!!!!!!!!

I buy my whole chickens as locally as possible, but always rinse them just in case--over a stainless steel sink, duh. I've found that not all chickens are properly cleaned inside, and quick rinse and massage also identifies stray pinfeather cuticle-thingies. Chicken then goes onto the meat cutting board for prep--not the kitchen counter . . . who carves up a chicken on the countertop? Quick pat dry, rub in some spices and maybe some olive oil, and then on to roasting. Whole fish, ditto, as part of the prep.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Or that I sling it around my kitchen in a circle to whip it dry, spraying raw chicken rinse all over everything?

I think PETA would support you doing that. Dead chickens need their entertainment too, you know. :laugh:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

We dont wash chicken during prep..however, we do singe it with a blowtorch and then give it a rub down with papertowel....more than once, some of us have been penalised for not giving the dead bird the blowtorch treatment..even though we were going to discard the skin anyways..e.g for supremes/farces etc...while roasting the whole bird, not dipping the feet in hot boiling water and rubbing the skin off can also be reason for penalty..

danny

I second that

yup...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Now, wait a minute. Are they saying I would hold my chicken over my vegetables, cutting boards and dishes while I rinse it? Or that I sling it around my kitchen in a circle to whip it dry, spraying raw chicken rinse all over everything? What a dumb statement!!!!!!!!!!

This is actually not too far off from something I did last week. :blink:

I don't know how to "fabricate" or "butcher" to save my life. I had four chicken thighs/legs that needed to be separated and trimmed, there were little organy bits on them and everything. I realized after getting into it that the meat was still probably 60% frozen. I also have a very, very dull chef's knife. So, I'm trying to do this over the sink, and between my inexperience, cold hands, dull knife, I ended up flinging chicken juice and fat ALL over. I got it all over some of my utensils that are in a revolving thing on my counter...chicken juice on my kitchen window...on the floor by the 5 expectant cats...heck, probably on the cats...on my cookbook...on my glasses and in my hair...it was DISGUSTING. It was almost funny after a while because it was just so bad. Several times I wanted to throw the meat away and give up. Afterward I went around with bleach and wiped down everything I could see, and took another shower! We didn't get sick, but the dish didn't turn out for me anyway.

Now, after that story, who wants to come to my house for a nice home-cooked meal? :biggrin:

Rachel Sincere

. . . the Food and Drink Federation warn it could spread bacteria to nearby surfaces and foods.

I buy my whole chickens as locally as possible, but always rinse them just in case--over a stainless steel sink, duh. I've found that not all chickens are properly cleaned inside, and quick rinse and massage also identifies stray pinfeather cuticle-thingies. Chicken then goes onto the meat cutting board for prep--not the kitchen counter . . . who carves up a chicken on the countertop? Quick pat dry, rub in some spices and maybe some olive oil, and then on to roasting. Whole fish, ditto, as part of the prep.

Exactly!

I wash every chicken in the sink, pat it dry, and proceed. Then I give the sink a quick squirt from my 10% bleach bottle. No muss, no fuss... and nobody gets sick.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Sometimes you really NEED to wash a chicken.

The other day the SO put the chicken on the counter and "popped out for a minute". I got home shortly thereafter. The dog greeted me at the door with the chicken in his mouth. I stood there LMAO. Washed chicken, cooked it, and served it to his highness for dinner. :wink::biggrin:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

i definitely don't wash chicken, mostly because i know it can spread bacteria. and i'm certainly not under the mistaken impression that rinsing kills or otherwise sterilizes a piece of meat.

i do rinse fish sometimes though, 'cause sometimes it touches other fish in the fish case, and that's icky.

Wait. I'm really confused. Are you guys washing your chicken with detergent? I never rinse my meat (unless there's something weird clinging to it) for the same reason I wouldn't just wash my hands sans soap and expect them to be any cleaner than when I started. OTOH, I couldn't imagine scrubbing my meat with Dawn either!