• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert for a large group of seniors, men only

Wendy DeBord

I'm looking for any dessert suggestions for feeding 200 senior male golfers in the end of Sept.. These men travel and golf at every country club in the region........so I'm looking for something that fits this group of people plus something that probably hasn't been served to them a zillion times at other clubs.

They're a fussy group. It has to be something easy to eat and rather familar. My first thought was apple cobbler ala mode. But I bet every chef that doesn't have a pastry chef on staff has made that for them.

I'm stuck using salad plates-so the plate design will be limited. I'm also limited with equipment and it can't be a last minute plate up situation.

What do a bunch of senior men really want for dessert?

I also think your guys are going to go for something resembling a pie or tart...or the cobbler. If they are fussy, I would not do anything to challenge their preconceived notions of dessert. Unless having a bunch of disgruntled men swinging golf clubs around is your idea of a safe thing. :biggrin:

One club chef I knew said that it seemed all older people wanted was brownies with icecream. You could do a rich chewy brownie layered with cream with candied cashews (had to throw that one in because my grandpa loved cashews) with icecream. At any rate I wouldn't do "new flavors" such as basil strawberry.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

At this time of year I'd go for berry shortcakes. Individual cakes, baked and split ahead of time, berries prepped ahead, cream whipped, last minute plating is quick, and I think everyone feels really pampered by shortcake.

Yesterday I brought home a three pound box of fresh strawberries and a quart of heavy whipping cream. I washed and sliced the strawberries, dumped over some sugar, and stirred. After a three quart ersatz Caesar salad -- homemade Caesar dressing, with wine vinegar instead of lemon juice, plus pepper, basil, oregano, and parsley and the salad with tomatoes, pepperoni, Pecorino Romano, imitation bacon bits, grocery store croutons, scallion rings -- I dumped half the strawberries with sugar into a bowl and poured over about as much of the whipping cream as reason would permit, plus some. Ate it all, then ate the other half. "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

With the strawberries covering a round of shortcake -- basically just a biscuit, sliced horizontally, cut side up, topped with butter -- in a bowl and with the cream lightly whipped, it would be about as good as anyone could expect on this planet.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

I'm guessing that most of the guys have their own teeth and are pretty darn healthy considering.

Strudel is a great idea, then I don't have to worry about fork tender issues. Or complaints that something was too heavy etc........

Thanks everyone.