• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Mousse: Recipes, Questions

celenes

Hi Folks,

Anyone have a good and fairly painless chocolate mousse recipe? Wedding cake number 2 is next week and I am preparing all my stuff recipes etc. so I won't be overwhelmed. Now that I have my first one under my belt I feel like I can conquer almost anything :raz:

The cake itself is simple, click here to see what what the customer has requested:

Becerra Wedding Cake

Three cakes as pictured with the following changes, cake 1 and 3 will have chocolate mousse, cake 2 raspberry filling. Royal frosting spirals will become roses on outer bottom edge with a hint of light blue on the edges of the roses. Side spirals to become string work only done with pearls and top edge will be very small white flowers with a hint of blue. White candles encircled by white roses. Delightful I think.

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

For simple, I like Pierre Herme's chocolate whipped cream as a cake filling:

375 g heavy cream

1 Tbsp sugar

65 g dark chocolate (he recommends Valrhona Caraibe, which is I think a 65%?)

bring cream and sugar to boil and pour over chocolate. Mix as for a ganache. chill at least 5 hours. When ready to use, whisk by hand until it's almost firm. Don't overwhip. It should be firm enough to spread, but not stiff.

Since there are so few ingredients, the quality of chocolate is really important.

I like to use this chocolate charlotte:

36 yollks

1/2 gallon cream

4# bittersweet chocolate

4c simple syrup

1/2- 1c liquor of choice (only if you want- I use chamborb if I am using with raspberries

Whip cream to medium peaks with alcohol- set aside.

Whip yolks to pale and thick.

Add boiling simple syrup to yolks with machine running. (they will splatter- I just wrap the hobart with plastic).

Whip until very thick and still warm.

Here is the slightly tricky part.

Add the melted chocolate to the warm yolks- they must be close to the same temp, or your chocolate will seize.

Stop the machine and quickly scrape the chocolate up off the bottom of the bowl.

Whip until cold.

Do not let the mixture whip for too long after it is cool- the mixture will continue to firm up.

Fold in the whipped cream in thirds.

Refigerate to set.

When I want to use this I just let it warm up a bit. It is great for cakes (stable, yet smooth and rich).

I make different chocolate mousses for different applications. My quick choc mousse recipe is:

6 oz. melted semi sweet chocolate. Fold in:

3 egg whites whipped with 2 tbsp. sugar

Fold in:

1 1/2 c. whipped cream

This only takes a minute to whip together and it's not bad. I use pasturized white's that come in a container (1 egg white=1.25 oz) so I don't have to worry about heating my eggs. I whip my whites first, then use the same bowl to whip my cream (saves on dishes). I put the whipped whites ontop of my chocolate but I don't fold them in until my cream is whipped.

It's a little soft until you refridgerate it, then it becomes firm enough to use in any application. It holds for days.

Wendy,

I do the same thing for my mousse. I kinda refer to it as "Mousses bastard child"

A little tricky and unorthodox, but makes a good mousse very quickly

Firm( sets up rather fast and remains firm)

1 pound semi sweet choc

1 cup whites (1/4 cup granulated, make somewhat stiff)

3 cups heavy cream, soft peaks

Semi-Firm (this one gives you alittle time to work with it)

1 pound semi sweet choc

1 cup whites, pasteurized(1/4 cup granulated, make somewhat stiff)

1 quart heavy cream, soft peaks

The method is the same for both.

Melt the chocolate, keep warm. Whip whites to peaks then add sugar and make a stiff glossy meringue. I, yeah get this- whip the whites into the warm chocolate with a whisk until I make an emulsion. At this point your cream should hit soft peaks. Fold in the whipped cream into 2 additions. Dont be to gentle with the first addition, get it mixed in then fold in the remaining gently. The only difference between the firm and semi is that the firm can be used right away the semi needs some time in the fridge to firm up.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Just wanted to report that I made the mousse using Neil's recipe first and then I had to resort to Sinclair's recipe.

Here's what happened with the first recipe, I did everything as instructed put the mixture in the refrigerator and came back in a few hours it the mixture was hard as a rock!! So of course I didn't want to try to fix because I considered rewarming to bring about to liquid but then I think I may have had other problems. I do plan to try it again because I will not be defeated by such an easy recipe. Perhaps my chocolate was not suitable, I didn't follow my first mind to run up to the Chocolate Meister and purchase some Schaffenberger Chocolate like I should have.

As for the second recipe things worked well however I did notice once I place it in the refrigerator I had a few chunks of chocolate in the mixture but nothing too bad infact when I did the taste test they melted as soon as they hit your tongue. Terribly delicious too, luck the mousse made it in the cake at all, my daughter and I considered eating the whole bowl :laugh:

The cake turned out beautiful and I hope my client was happy!! I was.

Now on to the 70s cake for this weekend.

Edited by celenes (log)

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

Melt the chocolate, keep warm. Whip whites to peaks then add sugar and make a stiff glossy meringue. I, yeah get this- whip the whites into the warm chocolate with a whisk until I make an emulsion. At this point your cream should hit soft peaks. Fold in the whipped cream into 2 additions. Dont be to gentle with the first addition, get it mixed in then fold in the remaining gently.

It's important ro re-read Brians post. This is dead on right and important! All these factors he pointed out make a difference. I'll restate them and explain why....to the best of my knowledge.

1. Warm chocolate. Don't use too hot or too close to room temp. chocolate-either will make incorporating your whites harder (even though it can be done if your familar with mousse making). Slightly warm chocolate takes in the whipped whites (which are acting like a liquid to your moisture sensitive chocolate) easiest.

2. Fold your whites into your chocolate first. Typically this will take a little more force and the words "fold in" are really sort of wrong. I use a whisk to fold and I rather agressively fold in my whites. At first the chocolate resists accepting the moist whites...........and if you don't add enough whites it will sieze up on you just like adding water. If you add enough liquid it won't sieze your chocolate. So if your cautious and don't add enough whites during this first incorporation your chocolate will sieze up. Then you'll really need to put in alot of force to incorporate your whites. If you don't that's what leaves bits of chocolate behind like you got Celenes. It's bits of chocolate that didn't get incorporated, they seized up on you.

3. Adding your whipped cream. Like Bri mentioned they'll make a nice mousse if their not whipped too stiff. They should be solid, yet soft. When the cold whipped cream hits your partically done mousse it firms up your chocolate almost instantly. If you have too much volume (alot of whipped cream) it's harder to fold in fast enough that you don't leave strecks behind. Thats why Brian does this in two additions. I typically do it in one addition but that makes me use more force then Brians method....which could make a flatter (more deflated mousse). But because I use a whisk in my folding-it doesn't deflate the mousse.

I hope this all made sense and helped clarify the specifics that might trip someone up until they're a master at mousse making. The brand of chocolate shouldn't make too big of a difference in it's ability to become a mousse. BUT the exception is using chocolate chips-don't, they don't melt easily and are much harder to make mousse with. HTH?

• 4 weeks later...

WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

Non-gelatin mousse to which lime zest may be added as a sensational accompaniment to fresh berries -- or, as is, in a chocolate-hazelnut terrine.

9 oz. white chocolate (I use Lindt), cut into pieces

1 oz. water

1½ oz. Kirsch

12 oz. cream (35% M.F.)

1. If you are moulding your mousse, lightly oil the mould.

2. Combine the chocolate, the water, and the Kirsch in a bowl set over hot, not simmering, water. (White choc is a bit temperamental and requires extra care when melting.) Stir frequently until melted & smooth.

Do not leave the choc unattended; it would burn almost in the blink of an eye. Once melted, it should look creamy & be very smooth. Remove promptly from the heat and allow to cool to room temp.

3. Whip the cream to soft peaks. Fold into the choc mixture. Immediately pour into the prepared mould or individual serving glasses. Chill the mousse until 15 minutes prior to serving.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

• 2 years later...

hi everyone! i'm making chocolate mousse tonite for dessert, and while i was looking through recipes, i came accross something that said that there are six different types of chocolate mousse. i know that one is a bavarian mousse, and it uses gelatain to stabalize. the second is a french mousse, with eggs, and beaten cream. i also know of one one type of mousse that involves the combining of chocolate and creme anglaise, but i can't tell you the name. what are the other three types of mousse?

thanks for the help.

Boy, I guess I missed that quiz question in school. Is that the one that comes after "name all the mother sauces?" :raz:

As far as I'm concerned there's only two chocolate mousses....mine....and everybody elses..... :raz:

lol...actually, I do remember this because it was on a quiz for us in school, and I couldn't friggin remember the sixth...

The six types are:

Creme anglaise style

Quick method

Zabaglione style

Pastry cream style

Meringue style

Bavarian style

Barvarians are not a mousse, but a barvarian. Also, I pulled this from my Professional Baking book:

There are so many varieties of mousse that it is impossivle to give a rule for all of them. In general, we could define a mousse as any soft or creamy dessert made light and fluffy by the addition of whipped cream, beaten egg whites, or both.

I also looked through several different books and saw no set "mother mousses" anywhere. So just have fun and make whatever you want. Also note that you can use fruit and not just chocolate. Hell you can even use salmon ;) Anyway, good luck in whatever you make. I like to make a chocolate, white chocolate, and raspberry mousses and put them together to make a nice little parfait.

Now please explain each style, its preparation method, and application.

Then use it in a sentence. :raz:

Are you sure you weren't my pastry chef in school? :raz:

Okay, I take your challenge, and so here goes...but I don't name the mousse in the sentence...hope that's okay.

Creme anglaise style-Make creme anglaise, fold in the melted chocolate and then pipe in a vessel or champagne glass. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

Quick method-Combine cooler melted chocolate with whipped cream...The waiter walks in and says, "Holy sh*t, our best customer just said he/she wants chocolate mousse for dessert, and we don't have it on the menu tonight."

Pastry cream style-Fold pastry cream, whipped cream and chocolate together. Works great for cakes. "If Marie had known about this...she never would have told them to 'eat cake.'"

Zabaglione syle-Cook your eggs, booze and sugar, then add chocolate...great for quinelles. "What is this little 'football' on my plate...it's so yummy?!"

Meringue style-Make a Swiss Meringue and then fold in your chocolate. It's great for chocolate tart in pate sable. "Wow! This is both sweet, firm and light all at the same time."

Bavarian style-Make your standard base+lightener+gelatin, and fold in your chocolate. This molds geat. "Gee, I never knew you could make one of those from mousse."

:raz:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Brilliant!

I personally prefer the french type of chocolate mousse , simple but soo good perfect texture perfect taste.

By the way I know in my itlian book , I have several different and one I can remembr is with a pate a bombe method , was really really good , very nice for cakes etc ,I think I have served this type inside tuille ( thats what you guys call them ?)for a christmas party they were faoulous.

Vanessa

Sabayon

Bombe

Parfait

Bavarian

Chibouste

Diplomat (AKA Quick Bavarian) (Pastry Cream and Whipped Cream)

Meringue (Swiss and Italian)

Tortina (Sodium Alginate)

Versa Whip

Whipped Cream/Chocolate

Mycryo

All I need is one more way and I doubled the "6 types".

edited to say: how in the hell is the creme anglaise style considered a mousse? THATS CHOCOLATE CREME ANGLAISE!

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

edited to say: how in the hell is the creme anglaise style considered a mousse? THATS CHOCOLATE CREME ANGLAISE!

Now, no need to shout, young man! :raz: But yeah, I sorta thought, if you're folding chocolate into a creme anglaise and piping it into a glass, it would be kinda pudding-y instead of mousse-y.

Kinda confusing.

Has anyone made Alice Medrich's chocolate mousse which uses water instead of cream (or other dairy)?

<Not trying to cause trouble, really!  :wink: >

I've made it, and liked it. It was very soft, but had good strong chocolate flavor. As I recall, I thought it could have been improved with a little more sugar.